Rank II

Contributor III

Beaverton, OR, USA
First Name
geary
Last Name
graham
Member #

Hey folks...I have a stock Ram 1500 and looking for a place to test out its limits and capabilities. Any ideas on some low risk Pacific NW practice trails?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

When it opens and the snow melts Barlow road is a nice drive , badger lake , the beginning of the Wbdr is a nice day drive .

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

If you make it to the east side of the state you can run Kendall/Skyline road from Tollgate OR to Dayton Washington, you would want to wait until mid to late summer to make sure all the snow and mud is gone. It's a nice drive with good views and a look out tower mid way and places to camp all around it.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@MrWilsonWJ, thanks. I was near Tollgate this past weekend attempting to scout some new camping spots.
There is a lot in that area, but you wouldn't be able to get to many of them this time of year. Depending on spring time temps early June is when most of the snow should be gone. There is still places to camp before then in the lower elevations around there, the places I like are just a bit higher up.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
If you make it to the east side of the state you can run Kendall/Skyline road from Tollgate OR to Dayton Washington, you would want to wait until mid to late summer to make sure all the snow and mud is gone. It's a nice drive with good views and a look out tower mid way and places to camp all around it.
You beat me to this recommendation.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Also if you get stuck on a closed road you could face fines and give more reasons for roads to be closed for even more of the year or closed altogether . If you wanna play in the snow there’s lots of forest service roads still open with tons of snow on them , just went up a couple weeks ago way down the clackamas river past Estacada and found plenty of snow . There are miles and miles of gravel roads to explore out there , it’s not a off-road drive but heading to Detroit lake from Estacada is a fantastic drive and leads to a lot of other places . 31DF22D5-1701-49D6-8736-09DF9CBAE37A.jpeg0CA85991-C842-4ADE-A8A9-125C065CCDA0.jpeg

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Do you have locking diffs?

A few years ago I got "stuck" in snow on a FS road with my 4x4 that had open diffs. I have since had a rear locking diff installed and more aggressive tires and would like to try it again.

NWxDrew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon City, OR, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Staheli
Member #

I may be more of a "rules guy" than some, especially when it comes to closers and protected areas in our public lands. I don't want to get out there if it means potentially ruining things for others.

I am looking for ways to get closer to some backcountry touring locations and then head further in with a split board or snowshoes.

Thanks for the info!

NWxDrew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon City, OR, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Staheli
Member #

Also, that looks like a great time!! I've been up in the hills above Ripplebrook campground, just off the Clackamas River highway. haven't made my way all the way to Detroit Lake yet.

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Colockum Road (Colockum Pass) between Ellensberg and Wenatchee is passable. Best way is to start at Ellensberg because the road is easier to find and better signed on that side of the pass.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Do you have locking diffs?

A few years ago I got "stuck" in snow on a FS road with my 4x4 that had open diffs. I have since had a rear locking diff installed and more aggressive tires and would like to try it again.
Rear locker and 35s , nice thing about snow is it usually just takes some digging and low psi to get unstuck .