Plans for the New Year

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I have been wondering how others are prioritizing things for 2021. Hoping 2021 make a turn for the better.

My wife and I are hoping to be able to get a lot of projects done around our home, and I'm getting the rig ready for a few back country trips.
We always have a destination vacation planned for the new year. And a couple camping trips together.

She usually doesn't go with me on my overlanding adventures, but this year we are planning to go on one through our State of Colorado Near Buena Vista, Telluride, Ouray and Silverton in June. Hopefully we can enjoy some of the things those towns offered in the past. But if not we will definitely enjoy the out doors in those areas.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a safe close to 2020

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds good. there isn't much in my state, especially down here in the south area, so we have to venture out to other states. not sure how good of an idea that is. i hear some states are not wanting out of state people coming in and states that are open and allowing people are jam packed. sister-in-law went to gatlinberg for thanksgiving and said it took hours to drive a few miles because of all the people.
the wife and i are considering just going on trips that are back roads. maybe head out to west texas and check out some of the old towns that are basically 'ghost towns'. maybe do a trip that follows the border on the rio grande. i hear that is a cool trip to do and wont involve being around a lot of people.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Do you think things will be looser if one can show they have been vaccinated? Optimistically, I hope to be by late Feb or early March...optomistically.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Do you think things will be looser if one can show they have been vaccinated? Optimistically, I hope to be by late Feb or early March...optomistically.
i watched a couple news reports where dr fauci and cdc are saying that the vaccines will take multiple shots given over time and basically things will not change...still have to wear masks, etc, but things will tighten for those who don't get the vaccine. for example, if you get the vaccine, you still wear a mask etc, but you CAN take a flight. without the vaccine, even with a mask and all, you can't go on a flight. that will be extended to other things of course. i was surprised to hear that everyone has to take multiple injections done over time for it to be effective. dont recall seeing that before with other vaccines

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
i watched a couple news reports where dr fauci and cdc are saying that the vaccines will take multiple shots given over time and basically things will not change...still have to wear masks, etc, but things will tighten for those who don't get the vaccine. for example, if you get the vaccine, you still wear a mask etc, but you CAN take a flight. without the vaccine, even with a mask and all, you can't go on a flight. that will be extended to other things of course. i was surprised to hear that everyone has to take multiple injections done over time for it to be effective. dont recall seeing that before with other vaccines
21 - 28 days depending on which vaccine is what I heard. Some side effects but better than the alternative. Masks don't bother me. I barely go in public places anyway. I always have to turn around and go back to the truck to get my mask when I go in the store. I think things will sort out a good bit by June. I would like to think I could be in the high mountains by late June. It's hot and muggy in S.C by then. I can keep occupied within a few hundred miles until then.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I assume you are not talking New Years Day - we usually spent that in Anza Borrego, but not this year - had planned to drive out west where we used to live and spend a month camping in the area. Now that we are back east for 2021 it all depends on travel restrictions. Hoping for a trip to Nova Scotia, Outer Banks, Vermont, Finger lakes, then in the Fall or Winter, when things should be back to normal, we will make our trip out west, stopping at Marfa, TX, NM, AZ, then onto Anza, Joshua Tree, and up the coast. That was this years plan for the winter, but one year delayed.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
All quiet on the Pennsylvania front. Gonna spend a very quiet Christmas with our daughter who works in a sterile environment with or without covid - 19. Planning a trip for late April, going where we might run into 4 or 5 people the entire time out.. we avoid cities like the plague, ( oops, unintentional irony) anyway so no real big concerns.. we do mask up in buildings. Kinda like a seat belt and the utilization of safe driving technics. No fear at all of getting into an accident, but we still abide by safety laws and wear our seatbelts.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
2021 is comeback season! I definitely plan on going back to Death Valley and possibly fold that into a Mojave run as well. We also plan to make it to Moab. Those are the big ones for sure, and then our regular trips into the Sierras.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I assume you are not talking New Years Day - we usually spent that in Anza Borrego, but not this year - had planned to drive out west where we used to live and spend a month camping in the area. Now that we are back east for 2021 it all depends on travel restrictions. Hoping for a trip to Nova Scotia, Outer Banks, Vermont, Finger lakes, then in the Fall or Winter, when things should be back to normal, we will make our trip out west, stopping at Marfa, TX, NM, AZ, then onto Anza, Joshua Tree, and up the coast. That was this years plan for the winter, but one year delayed.
For New Years day, my tradition has been to lead or join who ever has planned the New Years day trail run for the local 4x4 club I belong to. Have done this 4 years running, the only criteria this club require to remain a member is to go on a official club run. (And to be civil of course). So I figure what better way to bring in the new year. My wife has to work anyways too.
Looks like we might be playing in some white stuff this year??? It will be sort of a shakedown run for my rig as I swapped in a set of axles that have 4.10 gearing this week. Should be fun.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

2021 is comeback season! I definitely plan on going back to Death Valley and possibly fold that into a Mojave run as well. We also plan to make it to Moab. Those are the big ones for sure, and then our regular trips into the Sierras.
My local club has a member that is planning on doing the mazes in Canyon lands National Park in April. I would love to a Overland Bound adventure to that area next year but will have to see. John and I was going to go last Thanksgiving but all of a sudden my rig was acting up so I had to bail. (Sorry John) he was able to still go but I still really missed out.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I spent the last several months barricaded in our garage prepping and some major projects on the truck. I’m also good with the honey do list for years to come. Just staying busy as possible to make a positive out of a bad time. We are retired so day trips to the forests and water exploring during the week when everything is deserted. Everglades scheduled for the last week in Feb. then to the Keys. Back home to regroup then The Smoky Mtns dispersed camping and hiking lined up for May. Hopefully vaccinated by then, if not we will be as isolated as you can get. We did a late fall trip to the Smokys, we didn’t even see another person for several days! We put the “D” in social distance. lol.

UPDATE! Vaccines started in Seminole County yesterday! We are both in the age group for the first round. Registered on website to make appt. and list of required info. Best Christmas present ever!

Last edited:

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

One of my favorite spots on the west coast of FL is Bonita Springs; some of the best fishing and of course for my pup's the best dam dog beach in FL. Make sure you take plenty of pics to share with us. Until then happy holidays and most of all Stay Safe

Reactions: Flipper

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I'm semi retired, just working a odd job to keep a little structure in my life. But working in the school kitchen I have the perfect scheduled time off for doing this overlanding thing. 3 months in the summer and every holiday vacation through the year. It is definitely nice to be able to avoid the massive week end crowd when your dealing with this penemic, but to be honest I really miss mixing with people from all walks enjoying life. Seeing thier smiling faces as everyone enjoys the wonders of nature. They may not even speak English but there is something beautiful about the expression on thier faces as they gaze across (let's say the Grand Canyon it's universal) and like on big party to share.

Anyway I also enjoy solitude as well. This should be a very interesting year to say the least!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

One of my favorite spots on the west coast of FL is Bonita Springs; some of the best fishing and of course for my pup's the best dam dog beach in FL. Make sure you take plenty of pics to share with us. Until then happy holidays and most of all Stay Safe
I'm not much for fishing unless I go out with someone who does love fishing, my brother in law likes to go out on a small chartered boat up in Ocean City Maryland (the Bay Bee in the name of the boat) fishing for flounder. He is quite the seafood cook and when I heard about the flounder he cooked up after my son caught one on the trip my wife and he took out there, I was all in the next trip we took to visit them. But sadly we got skunked. Maybe next time we go out that way we will have better luck.

Reactions: Flipper

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I haven't decided what to do yet. Probably the same as previous years camping, offroading, fishing, working. I just won't be going to any offroad shows cuz there aren't gonna be any, no catfish conference in Nashville. The catfishing tournaments series I was in had some drama with the directors stealing money so that won't be back either.

Likely ill mostly keep to myself and my wife and continue to be an introvert.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We are going to finish building up our jeeps, packing them up and getting out into the backcountry of Newfoundland this year coming up. I have alot of wrenching to do on both vehicles, and that needs to be completed asap. After that it's load up our kayaks, bikes and gear onto the sylvansport attached to either of the rigs and go. More time spent outdoors the better. Thats our plans for next year. After christmas is settled down, I will be installing all the gear on our jeeps. I had a dealership for a performance parts company who had lots of parts etc, but it looks like they have closed up shop. That's ok, as the gear was not really what I wanted to install on my jeep, now I can go back to my original plan and get what I really want!

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Same destinations on my list