Contributor I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Barraza
Member #

Hi All,

Does anyone have a link to amazon or else where that I can order the version of plano gear trunks with the o-ring?

Cheers,
Nico

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Hi All,

Does anyone have a link to amazon or else where that I can order the version of plano gear trunks with the o-ring?

Cheers,
Nico
IIRC the o-ring models are available through plano marine dealers. I found it FAR more cost effective to buy the Plano HD trunks at the local academy sports and add the gasket material myself. When I get to a real computer I can link both for you if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

Reactions: Downs

4RunAndGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Barraza
Member #

IIRC the o-ring models are available through plano marine dealers. I found it FAR more cost effective to buy the Plano HD trunks at the local academy sports and add the gasket material myself. When I get to a real computer I can link both for you if someone doesn’t beat me to it.
Awesome, I wanted to know what was more cost effective, too. I'll just order the regular sportsmans and add the gasket myself. Deciding on sizes now. Thank you for the reply!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi All,

Cheers,
Nico
Nico - I don't know of any Plano Sportsman totes that come with the rubber seal already in them. A lot of folks get a length of EPDM rubber and glue it into the lid.

If you check this post from a couple years ago about storage solutions, there is a link to both the Plano Sportsman and the Trim-lok EPDM: What Do You Use To Store All Your Gear.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You can get rubber weatherstrip at LOWES for pretty cheap by the roll. I've used it to seal airboxes and storage containers. Comes with a sticky back and in different sizes/thicknesses.

Reactions: SubeeBen

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I thought I read some place you might be able to get it from Plano for a few bucks... It might be worth the call.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Home Depot (and probably Lowes) seem to have the best supply and price that I can find. Plano 108 Qt Sportsman Trunk Olive Green for only $25. You can even get the insulating weather stripping to make them as close to water/weather tight as possible...
Careful of some of the sales, I’ve seen Home Depot use pictures of the Sportsman’s trunks(4 latches) when what was actually on sale was the hinged versions which are cheaper and are missing the groove for a seal in the molding.

Academy has two distinct listings, one as “storage trunk” and one as “heavy duty storage trunk” they get the HD trunks in olive green, black, and sometimes tan. Those cheaper storage trunks come in all kinds of colors but again the hinge design keeps them from being sealed as easily.

Here is a link to one of the marine versions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDYFNVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_v35HDb86DB0AZ#
The marine trunks all come in silver/grey with blue latches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and Road