Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

So, I seem to have deduced that the closest beaches to me that allow driving AND CAMPING are near Jacksonville, FL and Cape Lookout and Fort Fisher (camping?), NC.

I’d really like some suggestions and recommendations for an inaugural beach trip in late December to one of these places. Is the wind going to be cold and blow me off the beach in December? Any other suggestions for planning to camp on the beach when I’m used to camping in the mountains or in the woods?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've never been to that particular beach but here's a few tips I'd consider

1) keep a shallow bucket/tray and a little water to knock the sand off your feet if gritty bothers you. Gold bond powder also works well.

2) I've found that bringing 3 to 5 gallon buckets are good tie down weights that don't hurt when your toe finds them. They also don't lose their effectiveness if a strong gust lifts them up as compared to stakes.

3) always have an escape plan for getting out if the tide rises suddenly. I've seen a mild storm shift the wind and push the surf 1-2 feet higher and swamping many camps/vehicles. I've almost been caught twice. Having a household water alarm sitting on a board or a fishing bell tied between the canopy and an easy to lift (for the tide) drift wood is a good notification system.

I also try to keep camp compact. We were the central hub for meal prep on this trip. As you can see, I found higher ground and on firm ground, nose up hill, canopy angled down into the wind and still tied off to a 110qt cooler. This December we won't look much different on the trip we have planned.

20190525_192756.jpg

ThatYoungTaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, Tennessee
First Name
Benton
Last Name
Pittman
Member #

Be prepared to self recover especially in time sensitive situations where the water may be rising. We pulled out at least 6 unprepared vehicles in a narrow part of the beach where the tide rises high. They would have easily lost their vehicles to the water.

Wind can get pretty bad with nothing around to break it up so I second the bucket idea. Bags filled with sand work well too. Use your vehicle as a wind barrier if needed

Shade is also hard to come by so be prepared to create your own. Otherwise you’ll likely get pretty miserable pretty fast.

Besides that some of the most relaxing camping we have ever done!

Attachments

Reactions: Tundracamper

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Down here in TX the beach gets kind of nasty in winter, high wind with sand and salt in the air. And mosquitoes are big and still active.
If its anything like our beaches be prepared to wash your vehicle every day for a month till all the sand and salt is gone.

• Wow

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Alway park facing the direction you need to exit. I learned this many years ago, waking up to a storm in the pitch black of night with no idea which way was the way out. Park so all you need to do is drive.

Reactions: WilhelmB

Dr.thetay

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jax, FL
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Van Assche
Member #

So, I seem to have deduced that the closest beaches to me that allow driving AND CAMPING are near Jacksonville, FL and Cape Lookout and Fort Fisher (camping?), NC.

I’d really like some suggestions and recommendations for an inaugural beach trip in late December to one of these places. Is the wind going to be cold and blow me off the beach in December? Any other suggestions for planning to camp on the beach when I’m used to camping in the mountains or in the woods?
Jacksonville will be cool but probably not cold - wind can be an issue, but usually not terrible.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I'm not sure when the vehicle ferry services to Cape Lookout shut down for the winter. The Park Service cabins close around the end of November so you might want to check with the ferry concessionaires before getting too deep in your plans if that's your destination, It will likely be cold, windy and wet and blowing sand ain't much fun. Spring and Fall are better options,

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Did you ever do this trip? I'm curious where you went and how it was. If you're still looking for insight to Cape Lookout, NC I can assist.

FlounderUSN

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Where the wind blows
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Hatch
Member #

Did you ever do this trip? I'm curious where you went and how it was. If you're still looking for insight to Cape Lookout, NC I can assist.
Ooh ooh I may hit ya up in a few months if that is an open offer to all. I want to check out the outer Banks and all that on my cross country road trip that starts hopefully tomorrow (starting in PNW so be a few months before making it out that way!)

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Of course, while I'm by no means an expert on all things OBX, I'd be happy to field any questions.
Cape Lookout is a bit different from the more popular parts of the outer banks (Ocracoke and Hatteras) in that it's uninhabited except for campers and day-trippers. There's a parks service cabin and a small village of fishing cottages you can rent near where the ferry drops you off, but otherwise you're restricted to camping on the beach itself.

Reactions: FlounderUSN

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

No. I ended up staying closer to home (Ouachita National Forest) since some of our other travel plans changed. I am still hoping to make a beach trip later this spring, hopefully before it gets too hot and the bugs come out.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

The Park Service cabins (Long Point) on the Portsmouth Island section will likely not re-open in 2021. There is a tentative plan to build new cabins further north on the island where they will be less susceptible to overwash and flooding but that is far from a done deal and likely won't happen any earlier than 2022. I think those in the current location will be torn down and removed due to the damage they've suffered in recent storms. The NPS cabins (Great Island) on the South Core section survived the storms but have been closed due to COVID. I have not seen any date for re-opening in 2021. There are no cabins on the southernmost Shackleford Banks section and vehicles are not allowed there. Tent camping is an option on all three sections of Cape Lookout NS. I don't think portable water is currently available on any of the islands.

We (me, wife and possibly our six year old grand daughter) are hoping to get over to Portsmouth in early to mid-May for a few days of tent camping and would welcome any company.

Obscure Medic

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Havelock, NC, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Askew
Member #

I was just at Ocrakoke over the new year. Sustained winds a few of the nights over 30mph. ToughStuff's RTT mounted on my M1101 held up flawlessly! The Red Drum bite was hot and we ate plenty of fresh fish. I live in Eastern NC so trips to the OBX are common place. I'll probably head to Portsmouth Island in the spring for some fishing/camping again. I'm always willing to help out with OBX questions. I dont have all the answers but know enough people to find out.

Happy Trails.