Enthusiast I

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Stirrett
Member #

Hello all
I'm planning a trip for this April - May from Calgary Alberta to Utah. I will be crossing Alberta/US border at Carway into Montana and then heading south avoiding interstates - I want to stick to mainly backroads as much as possible a main purpose is to camp, explore and get some great landscape/wildlife photos. I have no specific timeline (retired) so open to any "must travel" routes and places to see.
Once in Moab area will mainly camp in BLM areas around the national parks. As I am travelling solo (2019 Ford Ranger with some suspension upgrades, recovery gear but with no winch) will probably be sticking to easy to moderate trails
Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Unfortunately, The Going to the Sun Road through Glacier National Park will not be fully open in April or May. Depending on snowfall and avalanche conditions, it typically opens around late June to mid-July. Barring any recent storms, you should be able to use US-2, just south of the park, as a westbound route.
I highly recommend driving down from Canyonlands on Schafer Road, just north of Moab, but only if the road is dry. Fun and a bit scary! There’s an awesome hike out to Corona and Bowtie Arches along Potash Road (which intersects Shafer Road at the bottom, leading back towards Moab). There are some cool dinosaur tracks and petroglyphs along Potash Road - just a quick stop and 5 minute walk to view them.
South of Moab, drive through the La Sal Mountains. There are numerous dirt tracks with great views. The Abajo Mountains were nice, too, coupled with a visit to the Needles District and Newspaper Rock. There’s plenty of dispersed camping in Bears Ears National Monument, too.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I'll add in most of the routes through the San Rafael Swell area. There are lower elevation roads if it is still cool, and higher elevation roads if it's warmer. The Capital Reef, The Grand Staircase-Escalante, and Glen Canyon/Lake Powell (now kind of a puddle vs. a lake but still a sight), Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, Steamboat Rock/Echo Park, and more and more!

Enthusiast I

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
GrittyPaul
Last Name
SoGritty
I'd highly recommend Charles Wells' "Guide to Moab Utah Backroads & 4WD Trails" which lists all the trails in the greater Moab area with trail descriptions, ratings, maps, and GPS coordinates (no association, just a satisfied consumer).

A few of us Ford guys will be there running trails around the 3rd week of May - - maybe run into you out there. . . Kane Creek.7 (MAY 21).jpg
Paul

Reactions: DintDobbs

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Hello all
I'm planning a trip for this April - May from Calgary Alberta to Utah. I will be crossing Alberta/US border at Carway into Montana and then heading south avoiding interstates - I want to stick to mainly backroads as much as possible a main purpose is to camp, explore and get some great landscape/wildlife photos. I have no specific timeline (retired) so open to any "must travel" routes and places to see.
Once in Moab area will mainly camp in BLM areas around the national parks. As I am travelling solo (2019 Ford Ranger with some suspension upgrades, recovery gear but with no winch) will probably be sticking to easy to moderate trails
Any ideas or suggestions?
Hey You! Did you go?

Moody Blue

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Stirrett
Member #

Nope - delayed for next year or if really lucky maybe late sept- Oct this year but not looking to promising- just to many projects around the house this year

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Nope - delayed for next year or if really lucky maybe late sept- Oct this year but not looking to promising- just to many projects around the house this year
I visited Utah in late October and early November last year. It was phenomenal. There was very little traffic, little to no crowding and the weather was great except for some cold rain and snow in certain areas. Moab was great this time of year.