Planning a family trip to the South Rim (Grand Canyon)

• HTML tutorial

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

Hey guys, and gals... planning a trip for a few days with my family and looking for some suggestions on camping and dispersed camping with in a reasonable distance of activities to take my little's to see and experience

thanks in advance, also i read that there are fire restrictions on place now i guessing.

Kanobee 7072

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We are going in September. We are not going campimg just hotel and exploring the canyon. But I have been already looking into a camping trip to see it again. There is a primitive campground very close to the south rim (Ten-x ), it is very affordable and has a host, also recieves great reviews. They start to do reservations after June 29 for the season but till then first come first serve except for the group sites.

Reactions: Kanobee

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
GC is stage 1 now, was stage 2:
http://knau.org/post/fire-restrictions-be-lifted-grand-canyon-national-park
No fire dispersed camping but ok in campgropunds with rings.

Desert view campground is a first come first serve (fills by noon) camp on the eastern end of the GC, it is a great camp but $12 unless you have an pass or access card for parks, then $6. Here: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm#CP_JUMP_1954277. Not to long of drive to west end of GC and sunsets are spectacular right near the camp. Also daily ranger talks within walking of the camp.

Jim

Reactions: Kanobee

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
If you want more trails, the north rim is way better and cooler (temps) and more animal sightings (at least for us), was off roading (pretty easy trail) and seen 2 different heards of Buffalo, was awesome, we was able to creep real close to them. Also seen another heard on both sides of the road into the GC and had to wait for one to mosey across.....

The north is way less crowded.

I will only be going back to the north rim. Not to mention the drive (from Flagstaff) to it is awe inspiring..........

Jim