VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys I want to plan a month long road trip I would like to go from south Florida where i currently live up to Maine. I will be using my 2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 setup up with camping setup in the bed with my topper. I would like to do a lot of driving off pathed roads for the trip and dispersed camping. I’m thinking of going up through Georgia, Tennessee, NC, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, then finally Maine. After writing all that not even sure this will be able to be done in 30 days lol. But any help with routes, trails, camps sites would be greatly apprecaited! I will be doing a youtube series on the trip and how its like to live out of a truck for 30 days as i am really considering taking a year off work to go full time. This will be kinda just a warm up adventure to what its like. Thanks everyone

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Hey guys I want to plan a month long road trip I would like to go from south Florida where i currently live up to Maine. I will be using my 2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 setup up with camping setup in the bed with my topper. I would like to do a lot of driving off pathed roads for the trip and dispersed camping. I’m thinking of going up through Georgia, Tennessee, NC, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, then finally Maine. After writing all that not even sure this will be able to be done in 30 days lol. But any help with routes, trails, camps sites would be greatly apprecaited! I will be doing a youtube series on the trip and how its like to live out of a truck for 30 days as i am really considering taking a year off work to go full time. This will be kinda just a warm up adventure to what its like. Thanks everyone
Envious right now!!!

Reactions: VST and Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
The Trans Georgia Trail would take about 3-4 days from the AL/GA border to SC just south of NC. I’m sure someone has a route that could connect you to the MABDR which is 9 days up from where Tenn, NC and VA meet to the NY/PA border. That ends just a few hours drive from the start of the NEBDR which is a 7 day trip to Maine. Almost half of the MABDR has some free camping near it.

NEBDR has some great camping too, (in NY for ex: North/South, Blue Mountain) VT and Maine have dispersed campsites

If you went up through NJ, the TNJT is a lot of paved roads and takes 3 days. It is also close to the start of the NEBDR in NY

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
The Trans Georgia Trail would take about 3-4 days from the AL/GA border to SC just south of NC. I’m sure someone has a route that could connect you to the MABDR which is 9 days up from where Tenn, NC and VA meet to the NY/PA border. That ends just a few hours drive from the start of the NEBDR which is a 7 day trip to Maine. Almost half of the MABDR has some free camping near it.

NEBDR has some great camping too, (in NY for ex: North/South, Blue Mountain) VT and Maine have dispersed campsites

If you went up through NJ, the TNJT is a lot of paved roads and takes 3 days. It is also close to the start of the NEBDR in NY
Are you talking about the Georgia Traverse? Ive done part of it before and will probably start there and do part of it again. And sorry for the questions but what is the MABDR and NEBDR?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@VST no worries on the questions, it’s why we are here lol
I double checked and I got the Georgia route name wrong, it’s Georgia Traverse (you right)
MABDR is the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route and NEBDR is the North East BDR

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
I double checked and I got the Georgia route name wrong, it’s Georgia Traverse (you right)
MABDR is the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route and NEBDR is the North East BDR
Thanks! I will definitely look it those

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thanks! I will definitely look it those
If you don’t mind I would be interested in joining along the route for a day or so

Reactions: VST

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
If you don’t mind I would be interested in joining along the route for a day or so
Definitely brother it will be my first time exploring north of Tennessee so definitely wouldnt mind the company
Cool, when are you trying to go on this adventure?

Traveler I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Divuolo
Member #

I’d be interested in running some length of it with you as well, could probably drive out from Long Island and do the TNJT all the way to Maine with you. Would be filming as well as I’m launching a channel very soon. Have tons of camera gear, drones, go pros, etc. just need to get off the island to film some real adventures haha, keep us posted on timing!

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Sounds good! I’m trying to do it maybe February or March but was actually wondering what the weather looks like for you guys that far up north around that time?

Traveler I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Divuolo
Member #

Yeah long island can be a bad example for weather, up north usually gets hammered, we’ve been having really mild winters last year we had maybe two light snowfalls but 3 years ago we got pummeled haha, typically the now wheeling up north can be fun however if it was a wet winter everything gets real muddy as it all melts down. So really have to wait to see what kind of weather we get this year

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hard to predict the weather that far in advance I think. If you're ok with dealing with potential for heavy snow, ice, lots of mud after melt etc then you're ok. If you're not prepared for that then you're not going to have a good time.
Lol i want it to be a fun trip some cold weather camping maybe seeing some snow would be nice but I don’t want it to be miserable. Is April weather a little bit better usually?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
As already mentioned it could be very snowy in some parts, muddy in other areas, but unpredictable everywhere.

I would probably be able to join you for sections in NJ (if you do take that way), PA, NY, CT, MA and VT for a Wednesday and Thursday.

I would not recommend doing TNJT as some of it is closed for winter in the North and besides the pine barrens it is mostly paved. I feel like you may be disappointed, I am not sure if the scenery (even in winter) is comparable to PA. Also we might be more useful in more challenging sections than NJ.

Does anyone know if BESF is open in February/March?

Beealk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Delaware, USA
First Name
Pawel
Last Name
Bialk
As already mentioned it could be very snowy in some parts, muddy in other areas, but unpredictable everywhere.

I would probably be able to join you for sections in NJ (if you do take that way), PA, NY, CT, MA and VT for a Wednesday and Thursday.

I would not recommend doing TNJT as some of it is closed for winter in the North and besides the pine barrens it is mostly paved. I feel like you may be disappointed, I am not sure if the scenery (even in winter) is comparable to PA. Also we might be more useful in more challenging sections than NJ.

Not sure about the tnjt, but the pines has hundreds of miles of unpaved roads, many with known challenges like water crossings etc. It's certainly fun and much different than other forest driving you will find throughout the northeast.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

Not sure about the tnjt, but the pines has hundreds of miles of unpaved roads, many with known challenges like water crossings etc. It's certainly fun and much different than other forest driving you will find throughout the northeast.
That is true, but that sand gets in EVERYWHERE. It is very fun to drive but it is not good for the vehicle. After our last time there my wife made me promise we won’t go back

Reactions: Aspect Overland

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

There is also the Trans New Jersey Trail going through NJ and ending close to the start of the NEBDR. In February, I would say many of the roads in New York and North will be closed due to snow and are also seasonal roads (no maintenance until after April 1). March could go either way.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

April would be much better - a lot of trails will be inaccessible or closed during the winter months. There are good trails in Western MA - e.g. October Mountain - with camping, but not until April 1st.