Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
Hi fellow jeepers, I have a question I'm about to make a large purchase in the form of a newer JKU completely outfitted for over landing with Kitchen and things like that or I'm going to buy a JK eight and tow a teardrop trailer. So my question is. Does a 2011 supercharged 3.8 with the old four-speed automatic have enough power to tow a teardrop trailer like a Moby1 or should I purchase a newer 2015-ish JKU with a 5.7 hemi. I will tell you that this 2011 supercharge JK eight is an outstanding vehicle it has been completely redone for a Sema show and has all the best components in it like upgraded axles upgrade gears the whole 9 yards this is a serious machine at about $80,000. Please let me know your thoughts on whether it can tow a trailer and for all you people that tow a trailer where have you gone with it as I am really leaning toward having a trailer thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Chubby121

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Jackonville, FL
Member #

I have a 2015 3.6L with 6speed and 4.88 Gears. I have no problem holding 75 on the highway here in Florida with the trailer behind me. up in the mountains I slow down to 65ish and offroad in 4low it pulls like a champ anywhere I ask it to go!!
I would stay away from the 3.8L if you can help it.
and 5.7L would add allot of extra wight, also they run hot on the trail so it just depends what kind of driving you are going to be doing.
Feel free to message me if you have specific questions on my setup.

20161230_152124.jpg

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
That's a beautiful rig! After months of research I have chosen a different path. I'm now planning on full timing for a year so I'm going with a 2017 Tundra and pulling an Air Stream Base Camp. I love the set up! I won't be able to wheel with the Base Camp in tow but with the awesome set on the Tundra I will be able to off-road and camp in a RTT for a few days at a time! I will post as I go.

Last edited:

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

That's a beautiful rig! After months of research I have chosen a different path. I'm now planning on full timing foe about a year so I'm going with a 2017 Tundra and pulling an Air Stream Base Camp. I love the set! I won't be able to wheel with the Base Camp but with an awesome set on the Tundra I will be able to off-road and camp in a RTT for a few days at a time! I will post as I go.
Any JK above a 2012 is a winner. Below 2012 motors are mall crawler status only. No offense to you guys that have them. Just keep the oil changed they'll do well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: OverlandingPapa