Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
First Name
LEON
Last Name
STETSENKO
Member #

Hi. Planing trip in middle of August to Co. Ouray and Black Bear pass. Then Utah Moab and maybe Antelope Canyon Arizona from Michigan . 14 days . Any useful information about campsites or other places to see on this route will be grateful .
Thanks !

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi. Planing trip in middle of August to Co. Ouray and Black Bear pass. Then Utah Moab and maybe Antelope Canyon Arizona from Michigan . 14 days . Any useful information about campsites or other places to see on this route will be grateful .
Thanks !
Hopefully Black Bear will be open by then!

One way to find campsites is to check on iOverlander | Find your next destination.

Will you be taking the Rimrocker Trail from Montrose to Moab?

Reactions: OdessaUA

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
We were just out in Telluride/Ouray area for 4 days. I found a great spot if you want to stay on the Telluride side of the mountains. Black Bear should be open by then as they’ve been making progress on other passes the last few days. Id say by end of July.

OdessaUA

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
LEON
Last Name
STETSENKO
Member #

We were just out in Telluride/Ouray area for 4 days. I found a great spot if you want to stay on the Telluride side of the mountains. Black Bear should be open by then as they’ve been making progress on other passes the last few days. Id say by end of July.
Could you post more info for campground ?
Thanks !

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I just did this same trip from Palm Harbor FL. My family and I set off on the last week of May and into the first week of June. Unfortunately many of the Colorado trails we wanted to do were pretty well closed. This was a rookie mistake and not realizing late June and July are when these trails typically open. I live in Florida what do you expect. I did do the Switzerland trail but we had to post pone Imogene Pass for the next trip out there.

Here are some links:
This was my post here. There is some great information here that may help
Conditions update link
Look up the books put out by FUNTREKS such as Colorado Backroads and 4 Wheel-Drive Trails. These were a great help with navigation.

I hope some of this will help.
Enjoy it and like someone told me, BE FLEXIBLE with your trip

Reactions: OdessaUA

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Hi. Planing trip in middle of August to Co. Ouray and Black Bear pass. Then Utah Moab and maybe Antelope Canyon Arizona from Michigan . 14 days . Any useful information about campsites or other places to see on this route will be grate .
Thanks !
Spent a week in CO first part of June this year. Great Sand Dunes SE CO, Pikes Peak, and Gardens of the Gods were awesome. Scenery was beautiful. There’s quite a few places to camp and see. If I had planned better I would have checked out the section of downloadable maps here in OB. YouTube has some awesome vids of CO places to see and visit also. Hope this helps.

OdessaUA

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
LEON
Last Name
STETSENKO
Member #

I just did this same trip from Palm Harbor FL. My family and I set off on the last week of May and into the first week of June. Unfortunately many of the Colorado trails we wanted to do were pretty well closed. This was a rookie mistake and not realizing late June and July are when these trails typically open. I live in Florida what do you expect. I did do the Switzerland trail but we had to post pone Imogene Pass for the next trip out there.

Here are some links:
This was my post here. There is some great information here that may help
Conditions update link
Look up the books put out by FUNTREKS such as Colorado Backroads and 4 Wheel-Drive Trails. These were a great help with navigation.

I hope some of this will help.
Enjoy it and like someone told me, BE FLEXIBLE with your trip
Thanks !