Placed an order for a loaded up off road Hiker trailer yesterday.

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cornish
In the eight months it takes to build I'm going to start designing the 3D model for the swing out/pull out stove and counter top. Id love to start fabricating it right away but I'm not taking any chances on fitment. I had this idea about using a swing joint/pivot for a spare tire mount to create an extra counter top that swings out with a built in stove, use one that has the pin lock so it can lock open or closed. No idea if it'll work but we'll see. I went through three design and fabrications of the kitchen on my current camper box before I found one that was just right. I'm also planning to try and mount a dometic fridge drawer in the galley as well but I know too much weight in the back will start to become an issue. If anyone has a rear galley build-out that they found is really functional I'd love to check it out. One of the things I was told by Hiker is that I'd have to mount the ikamper mini RTT backwards on the trailer rack so the ladder was on the driver side but they never said why. Anyone have any idea why? Cheers
Mike

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

using a swing joint/pivot for a spare tire mount to create an extra counter top that swings out with a built in stove
I like this idea, the only complication I see is getting adequate backing to support the pivot. But anything is possible. Hiker is my favourite trailer.

Reactions: Cornishrooster

Contributor I

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cornish
I like this idea, the only complication I see is getting adequate backing to support the pivot. But anything is possible. Hiker is my favourite trailer.
Yeah until I know what's under the floor I won't be able to design anything I suppose. If there are any metal supports running side to side or front to back under the trailer I can just weld a cross piece in. We'll see. Glad to hear you like the Hiker Trailers. Looked at so many brands and Hiker definitely had my favorite looks, options and price point.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Wow it take 8 months...that seams really long, but I guess it does take time to build from scratch.

hansmatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hanson
We picked up our 5x9 EOR Hiker in June, and been loving it. I also looked at others trailer photos, planned big plans and dreamed big dreams, but waited until we got it to really move on any of those ideas. Wanted to see how we would use it. I know some things have to be set in place for the build. We opted for the fridge box in front, where I built a slide out for the Fridge, and put a drawer to store the stove on the opposite side along with other camp gear. Though I really like the complete kitchen/pull out systems, I'm now glad to not have one. I have a nice folding alum table that sits beside the rear curb side bumper & propane mount, big enough for all the stove and cooking needs. We have lots of room in back for gear, clothes, kitchen equipment etc that are not taken up by built-ins. There is one member in the owners Facebook group who has an amazing pull out system...check it out. I also opted to have them do the basic wiring of the frame, but I did the rest...gives you some control of what switches, wires etc go where. Have fun, and it is worth the wait!

Contributor I

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cornish
We picked up our 5x9 EOR Hiker in June, and been loving it. I also looked at others trailer photos, planned big plans and dreamed big dreams, but waited until we got it to really move on any of those ideas. Wanted to see how we would use it. I know some things have to be set in place for the build. We opted for the fridge box in front, where I built a slide out for the Fridge, and put a drawer to store the stove on the opposite side along with other camp gear. Though I really like the complete kitchen/pull out systems, I'm now glad to not have one. I have a nice folding alum table that sits beside the rear curb side bumper & propane mount, big enough for all the stove and cooking needs. We have lots of room in back for gear, clothes, kitchen equipment etc that are not taken up by built-ins. There is one member in the owners Facebook group who has an amazing pull out system...check it out. I also opted to have them do the basic wiring of the frame, but I did the rest...gives you some control of what switches, wires etc go where. Have fun, and it is worth the wait!
Nice! We ended up with the fridge box (no slide) and wood rack above as well. I considered doing the wiring myself since I have loads of experience with it but ultimately opted to get the whole solar setup wired in the front box. I'm going to put a 200ah lithium battery in it once I sell one of my kidneys. My one hesitation is putting the swing out spare tire on the back since we want to put bikes on a hitch rack back there as well. Is there enough room to under mount the spare in front of the water tank?

hansmatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hanson
I believe you can put bikes even with the spare, but I don't have a carrier to try. You may need a longer tongue on the carrier. I don't have the water tank, and don't believe you can bottom mount the spare as an option at all, especially with water tank.