Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Healy
Member #

Has anyone driven to, or camped near Pinnacle Rock in Mendocino National Forest lately? I want to get away for a quick weekend trip this month (January 2020) and I’ve always wanted to check it out. I’d probably head up Friday evening, do some cleanup and exploring on Saturday and head home in the afternoon on Sunday. Driving from SF. Just looking for ideas, suggested spots to check out, and opinions on weather it’s worth the drive post fire season.

RubiconJosh

Rank I

Contributor III

Did you go on your trip yet?

I am planning a trip to Mendocino National Forest this month as well. I am not very familiar with the area and have only visited during the summer several years ago.

I plan on heading up mid-week for two nights camping the first night at Dixie Glade campground then exploring from there.

I recommend calling a ranger station for current conditions. Mendocino Contact Information. I have not contacted them yet, as I am waiting until closer to my trip in case conditions change.

This road damage map might be useful for your planning.

drumber

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Healy
Member #

Did you go on your trip yet?

I am planning a trip to Mendocino National Forest this month as well. I am not very familiar with the area and have only visited during the summer several years ago.

I plan on heading up mid-week for two nights camping the first night at Dixie Glade campground then exploring from there.

I recommend calling a ranger station for current conditions. Mendocino Contact Information. I have not contacted them yet, as I am waiting until closer to my trip in case conditions change.

This road damage map might be useful for your planning.
I haven’t gone yet. Probably first weekend of February. I’ll definitely post here if/when we go.

PapaStan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sonoma County
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Stanford
Member #

Just went up to explore yesterday, the area is fairly burned but it was nice and quiet

Reactions: drumber

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I camped in the middle of the Mendocino NF east of Lake Pillsbury on Memorial Day weekend. There were a surprising number of people looking for primitive camping spots, and given that the mountains are steep in that area and the roads have few turnoffs viable camping spots were difficult to find.