Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

So what do you use for a pillow while out and about?

Bring the one you use at home.
Backpacker air pillow.
Fold up a shirt or towel....?
The one in the mattress you blow up.
Etc.

I bring 2, my neck likes the one at home so it comes along and another one for backup I guess........

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I've done everything you have mentioned, and I find that travel/camping pillows are all too small and uncomfortable. I'm a fat side sleeper, so that might be part of it. I usually just end up bringing a pillow or two off my bed.

Reactions: Things and MiamiC70

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we were camping in arkansas and i had a rough night on a crap pillow. we stopped at a dollar general to get drinks and i saw pillows there. bought one and it has been a great pillow and it stays in the camper. a weird place to find a good pillow

1625089819785.png

Last edited:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Typically I have these foam travel pillows that the MRS. bought. But I'm starting to get a feeling I should look for a full size replacement as I have to use two to side sleep.

Reactions: Things

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Same kind as we use at home, like it seems most do. We have two each that stay in the trailer so we aren't having to shuffle them back and forth. One is for sleeping and the other for the rare occasion we are holed up inside (weather, bugs, bears !?!) to put behind our backs to make it more comfortable while we are propped up. Like the others, I find the travel variety "inadequate".

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We have beautiful hand-sewn pillows from cotton linen. With 50 x 50 cm or about 20 x 20'' nice and quite big. The best thing is, on the fabric are printed excerpts of a world map!

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Typically I have these foam travel pillows that the MRS. bought. But I'm starting to get a feeling I should look for a full size replacement as I have to use two to side sleep.
That's my problem, I can only sleep on either side and like one for my back.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I have been using an Exped Mega inflatable with an Exped Deep Sleep on top of that, stuffed in a normal pillow case. Side sleeping on a foam mattress I need the pillow to be tall.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

We are tent campers which makes a difference for sure. We both use inflatable backpacking pillows, my wife a Sea to Summit and I have a Nemo (her's is slightly more comfortable) and both work great.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I have a "MyPillow" I use every night, and that's what I always take. Best pillow I've ever owned. I agree with the many here who say a good pillow is critical to a good night's sleep.

Slightly off topic, but another item I always take when camping is a padded sleep mask with a fuzzy inner liner - I'm very sensitive to light, but not nearly so much to noise, so the mask ensures I don't wake up at ridiculous hours of the morning when out in the bush.

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

I have a "MyPillow" I use every night, and that's what I always take. Best pillow I've ever owned. I agree with the many here who say a good pillow is critical to a good night's sleep.

Slightly off topic, but another item I always take when camping is a padded sleep mask with a fuzzy inner liner - I'm very sensitive to light, but not nearly so much to noise, so the mask ensures I don't wake up at ridiculous hours of the morning when out in the bush.
Thats the one thing about my ShiftPod Mini, zip it up and its dark. It was handy when I was up in Montana a few weeks ago..

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thats the one thing about my ShiftPod Mini, zip it up and its dark. It was handy when I was up in Montana a few weeks ago..
That's a very nice feature, and probably one that doesn't get recognized by most users.

I live in Northern BC, so in the summer it stays light till almost 11pm and the sun comes up at 4:50am. I'm not so keen on waking up at that time lol. The cot tent I use for overlanding is better at blocking light than most, maybe, but still not great.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i remember growing up in west texas when inflatable pillows were very popular...

1625325426572.png
1625324916504.png

Last edited: