Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

Went out for two days to coal country, USA. Also known as Coal Township, Pennsylvania. First time out there, what an amazing area. We were at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area, literally thousands of acres of trails. The first day we were the only ones on the entire 7000-acre property. The second day there were only a few other guys out there but we didn't see anyone the whole day. There's also a 20,000+ acre property called Reading Anthracite that I want to explore next time. It's incredibly beautiful and remote - there was nothing but wilderness as far as the eye could see. These are all old coal mining properties - much of it is abandoned, with some small areas still actively mining. I went along with a buddy and Kyle Buchter of Offroad-Consulting. Won't bore you with too much text, here are the photos!

EDIT: I was only able to upload a few, so here's the full album of 30+ photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101660140901259.1073741859.13804386&type=1&l=51b8eb70b0

1.jpg 2aa.jpg 2aaa.jpg 2aaaa.jpg 3a.jpg 3e.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg IMG_7813.jpg IMG_8060.jpg

11Chuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pine Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Lunger
Member #

Awesome Pictures! Looks like you had a great weekend! I don't know if you heard about it, but last May they held a "Wheeler's Overland Adventure" weekend. You should definitely check it out, there is info about last years event on there website.

Reactions: ManWithJeep

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

Thanks guys! @GreggNY I wouldn't say they're all marked, but they are all trails within the park. Especially the further out you go, the less markings there are. We did have a paper trail map and if we weren't with a guide we could use GPS to approximate our location and find our way back. But Kyle from Offroad Consulting knew that place like the back of his hand.