Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
My previous truck had a Diamondback bed cover on it and on my new to me 2018 F-150 Supercrew I think I'm going to go with a Bed Cap to give me more storage that is easier to get to. When I google Pickup Bed Caps it's a pain in the you know what trying to weed through them all trying to find ones that for sure will support a Rooftop Tent and the people that sleep in them.

If you've run across Pickup Bed Caps that for sure will hold a RTT and don't mind post them here please! I'll keep looking but any help I can get will be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My previous truck had a Diamondback bed cover on it and on my new to me 2018 F-150 Supercrew I think I'm going to go with a Bed Cap to give me more storage that is easier to get to. When I google Pickup Bed Caps it's a pain in the you know what trying to weed through them all trying to find ones that for sure will support a Rooftop Tent and the people that sleep in them.

If you've run across Pickup Bed Caps that for sure will hold a RTT and don't mind post them here please! I'll keep looking but any help I can get will be greatly appreciated!
I see Smart Cap's used quite allot, they seem to be very strong.

Reactions: Viking1204

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

From my searching, I found RSI smart cap, Alu cab and a new one from Venturous called the Ozark. I really like the Ozark but can not find any reviews since it is so new. I think I am going to the Alucab.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Thanks for your input guys. I'm looking for something that doesn't have the Overland price and has options for an F-150 short bed. I don't need it to be a Smart Cap or have any fancy features other than it will support the weight of a RTT and I can access it from the back and sides. I'll take a look at those options but trying to keep my costs down. I've contacted Venturous to get pricing on their Ozark model since I couldn't find it on their website. AluCabs basic truck cap doesn't seem to cover an F-150's, still looking!

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Thanks for your input guys. I'm looking for something that doesn't have the Overland price and has options for an F-150 short bed. I don't need it to be a Smart Cap or have any fancy features other than it will support the weight of a RTT and I can access it from the back and sides. I'll take a look at those options but trying to keep my costs down. I've contacted Ozark to get an idea of their pricing since I couldn't find it on their website.
I believe the ozark is running a launch sale that ends today, giving you the windoors, and roof rails for free. The base price is around $3400. tHE PAYLOADS THEY ADVERTISE ARE CRAZY FOR A FIBERGLASS TOP.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

RLD was amazing before they left the US and RSI filled the stainless gap. Those have the highest weight capacity on the market outside the steel utility caps. For fiberglass you can do SnugTop with the roof upgrade or the ARE with the internal frame but I'm pretty sure SnugTop is still only in the west. Just beware manufacturer ratings. Fiberglass fatigues worse than metal so they don't hold up as well over time to hard use like a RTT off road. If you want that fiberglass look the internal frame ARE is top notch.

Based on prices a few years ago, it's not just the overland tax... ARE wanted 80% of what I paid for my stainless cap for fiberglass and the same price with the frame. If you want cheap and don't care about the looks, I'd just find a used contractor cap.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I don't want any fancy features, just side windows I can access and a back window. I don't want cheap but $4K plus seems damn steep for just a steel cap. If that's my only option I guess I'll be saving a little bit longer. Well looks like Venturous is out, only support products for a F-150 2021 and newer.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I don't want any fancy features, just side windows I can access and a back window. I don't want cheap but $4K plus seems damn steep for just a steel cap. If that's my only option I guess I'll be saving a little bit longer. Well looks like Venturous is out, only support products for a F-150 2021 and newer.
Venturous is brand new. I talked to a rep and he said they were getting new moulds up and running as quick as possible. You may want to reach out to them and see if they have plans for your rig.