Photography

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Nepal
First Name
Christophe
Last Name
Noel
Those are great great camera's you have there Brett,have you tried to set your 7D MKIII on shutter speed at least 1/2000 of a sec. with a good lighting available or faster,to keep you from ( camera shake ) and let the camera set the aperture to what the ISO calls for or set it on manual and set the shutter speed and aperture to what the best ISO reads,if the ISO is shot at the minimun 100 /200/400/800 etc. higher,than your histogram should be less noise,it all depends on the what ISO is used,the higher the ISO the more noise it will pick up,but it all depends on all your settings.
The histogram is a live-graph of pixel count relative to luminescence value, or more simply, contrast and exposure. The more the graph leans to the right the more it indicates over exposure (in some elements) with the tallest spikes indicating "clipped" or burnt pixels. Or, no data. Values expressed far left indicate dark shadows. I high spike to the left indicates blacked out pixels or "crushed."

In short, the easiest way to use a histogram is to watch far right to avoid hard spikes that nuke all the data that cannot be recovered. This tool works with every ISO in the camera range.

You are correct, higher ISO will introduce more pixel noise, but this is not represented in a histogram, but rather the ISO itself. Most newer bodies will produce low noise up to 3200 ISO. Many pro-sumer bodies won't show much noise even at 6400. I squeak up to 12,800 ISO on my Canon pro bodies before noise is an issue.

With regard to shutter speed, with a non-stabilized lens, the old rule of "faster than focal" still applies. If shooting, say 70mm focal length, you just want to be faster than 1/70th of a second, which in practical terms would probably put most people at 1/125 second.

At any rate, most images that "don't turn out well" are usually more about composition, contrast, and exposure than anything else.

Fun stuff. :)

chanceboarder

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Refuerzo
Member #

There are some great images in this thread. I just joined the community but have been a photographer for a long time, shoot professionally part time. I cover a lot of different subject from commercial and editorial work to sporting events. I would say my interests are mostly with shooting adventure sports and landscapes and nature. I'm a Nikon shooter, shot on some Sony gear for a while and ultimately sold it all when Nikon finally released it's mirrorless.

Here are some samples of my work.
JRR_6553-Edit-Edit.jpg_DSC6021.jpgDSC_5588.jpg_NZ63665-Edit.jpg

_DSC0163-Edit.jpg
DSC06608.jpgNZ6_6966-Edit.jpgGlacier Point Pano.jpg

chanceboarder

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Refuerzo
Member #

Glad to see I'm not the only one dabbling in B&W. I used to shoot tons of B&W film, but just recently rediscovered how it really makes some average images really sing.

This shot had too much color. I like it in grey scale much better. This from a few weeks ago.

View attachment 172174
View attachment 172175
Wonderful portraits! I love the look and feel of B&W. I learned to shoot on B&W film and working with it in a darkroom before moving on to color film. I wish I still have a film camera and the space for a darkroom setup. Most of my personal work, especially my landscapes and nature work, I will convert a copy of it over to B&W just to see what it looks like, sometimes times it looks better to me other times it just doesn't work.

Wildmanreed

Rank IV

Advocate III

Dallas, Georgia, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

A few more fun ones..

Cerro Torre Peak, Patagonia, Chile, shot over the Southern Ice fields from a Cessna 206. Canon EOS 5D MkIII, 24-70 2.8.
View attachment 169704

Cordillera Blanca, Andes, Peru, 16,600 feet. Fuji XT-1 50-140 2.8
This is a great example of a very average shot in every regard, but I dig it. Without the rope it's
just a dude and a horse.
View attachment 169706

Tibet. Fuji X-H1, 35mm 1.4
View attachment 169707

This is the last known image of the Raute Nomads of the Nepalese Himalayas. This 900 year old culture once counted in the thousands. We found them in early 2019 not far from the western border of Nepal near India in the remote Karnali Province. There were only 67 people remaining in the tribe. Very few westerners have ever seen or interacted with the Raute as they are known to defend their camps. Outsiders are taboo and offend the forest spirits that look over the tribe. This woman, Chadipaju, was the chief's daughter.

In the fall of 2019 we learned the last 67 people had disbanded, thus ending the reign of the culture that had existed for 900 years, and no one knows where they came from. This shot taken with a Fuji XH-1, 50-140mm 2.8.

We have an expedition planned to try to locate them again in 2021 if anyone cares to join me.
View attachment 169708
These are amazing thank you for sharing

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Hi all. Amazing variety and quality here.

I've been a fairly serious amateur photographer for a number of years now, currently shooting on a Canon 6D II with a variety of lenses. Sure, nice cameras are fun to have, but it really comes down to being in the right place, at the right time and knowing what you are doing. I've dabbled in many different genres of photography but my passion is landscape, hence the interest in overlanding, which gets me to some great places.
I wanted to share just a few of what I thought might interest you but had a hell of a time paring it down (we all love our own work :-) The itsy bitsy jpg's really don't do these justice, but here goes.

The first shot was taken on the White Rim Road in May of last year:

White Rim Road.JPG

The second is a 56 shot exposure blend panorama at Devils Punchbowl, OR in June 2019:

Devils Punchbowl.JPG

.... and the third is a 21 ahot noise blend panorama with a time blend for the foreground for the light of the setting moon on the rock, of the Milky Way over Ayers Rock as we overlanded across the Outback of Australia in February of last year. I could write a book about what went into getting that shot .... and in fact, currently am :-)

Ayers Rock.JPG

I hope you enjoy looking at them even a 10th as much as I enjoyed making them.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

.... and the third is a 21 ahot noise blend panorama with a time blend for the foreground for the light of the setting moon on the rock, of the Milky Way over Ayers Rock as we overlanded across the Outback of Australia in February of last year. I could write a book about what went into getting that shot .... and in fact, currently am :-)

View attachment 178618

I hope you enjoy looking at them even a 10th as much as I enjoyed making them.

@MegaBug I'd love to know when you book is available. I've done a handful of MilkyWay Panos but none have come out this great. Loving the detail in both the sky and on the rock well balanced.
Thank you for sharing!

Boort