Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
Cat
Member #

I used to be a Canon guy and have shot extensively with Nikon as well, but most recently I've been shooting with Sony equipment.

I have a Sony A7Rii and Sony's 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master. I'm debating between the 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master and the 70-200mm f/2.8 G Master for my next lens. I want all three, and that's probably all I'll ever need for what I shoot. Hard choice between wide angle and telephoto for me. Both can give you such cool effects.

Not that the compression nonsense that forums use will do the camera any justice, but the resolution and sharpness from the A7Rii with the 24-70mm f/2.8 GM is insane.

Red Cone Peak, elevation 12,801 ft - August 2018

View looking toward Telluride from Black Bear Pass - August 2017

Middle Fork Swan River - July 2017

Middle Fork Swan River - July 2017

Imogene Pass - August 2017
I have the exact same setup and am in love with it! The clarity is awesome. Here is one of mine from NepalDSC05382.JPG

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Sony A77 with an old 135mm f/2.8 manual focus lens, Sony HX-90V on the left and my second Sony RX100 m1 on the right (it never gets used anymore so I might put it up for sale), I also have a Sigma 150-500 f/5-6.3 and a Sony 35mm f/1.8 lens that I never use anymore

20180912_193008.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Sony A77 with an old 135mm f/2.8 manual focus lens, Sony HX-90V on the left and my second Sony RX100 m1 on the right (it never gets used anymore so I might put it up for sale), I also have a Sigma 150-500 f/5-6.3 and a Sony 35mm f/1.8 lens that I never use anymore

View attachment 68414
Nice set up Joey. I just traded in my Sigma 150-500 to the 150-600 and my camera body to a canon 77D. I can't imagine having to change all my lenses to another camera manufacturer.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I think this thread has become my happy place. I'm an armature photographer, focusing more on the landscapes. I also take photos for work when needed.
Running a Nikon d5600 right now, but my glass is all FX, so upgrade in the future sometime.
It is a great happy place to ask questions and share information. Look forward to seeing your pics.

grantwilson

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. augustine, Fl
Member #

Decided to sell one of my extra XT-1s and just ordered the new XT-3 along with some other light panels and stuff. Been looking for a reason to do more video, and the 4k/60 makes it awesome.

So. if anyone wants an XT-1 and two lenses let me know lol

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

The Sprinter build is annoying and the summer is fleeting, so I took the doors off the Jeep and went for a ride with some friends. Watched the sunset at 12k feet, then did a little stargazing.

Sony A7Rii with Sony 24-70 f/2.8 G Master

Milky Way pic didn’t turn out, but I was rushing through the process...

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Great to see others share my mix of passions; photography and overlanding. They do go well together though! One of my favourite shots from one of my first "big" adventures...

Agree. It's fun to plan an adventure specific for a photographic event such as an solar eclipse, etc. Or just go on an overlanding adventure somewhere and see what one can capture as you travel.

Reactions: Boort and Baipin

Wander One

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Leland, MI, USA
Member #

Amphitheater National Forest Campground in Ouray, Colorado

_9210302-Edit.jpg

Story by Jenny

At the campground:

“Excuse me! Excuse me, did you say bears?” The question tumbled out of my mouth as I walked over to edge of our campsite, where Joe was conversing with the campground host — a grandfatherly looking man with silver gray mustache and matching hair peeking out from under his off-white cowboy hat.

“Yes, ma’am,” replied the host. “Bears live here. You’re just visiting.”

He was dressed in denim shirt and a green vest, and he talked with us from the driver’s seat of his green, 4WD Kawasaki Mule — the off-road equivalent of a golf cart. He cocked his head, thought for a moment, and then added, “Well, we haven’t had any bears in … four days. Do you have a panic button on your car keys?”

Joe nodded yes.

“Hit that or your horn and they will move on. They’re looking for coolers and if you don’t have one they will move on to the next campsite.”

In that instant, I pictured a black bear moseying through our campsite with his nose in the air, then pausing mid-stride to sniff. Gesturing toward our gray van I asked the host, “What about our food stored inside?”

“They won’t bother you in there.”

I wasn’t reassured. On a 1999 family camping trip to Yosemite we saw a Toyota sedan with its passenger side door peeled open like a sardine can. A bear went through the backseat to access the car’s trunk and retrieve a cooler filled with food. The remnants of the bear’s midnight snack were scattered across a field adjacent to the parking lot.

Before rolling away in his cart, the host pointed to the black pole with hook installed near the picnic table and said, “That’s not to hang your food or trash. It’s a light pole.”

As I looked over to the pole and imagined attaching a lantern, I asked Joe, “How did bears come up?”

“I asked about a trail into town and he said that we’d be hiking home in the dark and to watch out for bears.”

“I vote for eating here.”

As we sat down together - inside the van - for meal of sandwiches and fresh veggies, Joe looked up from his plate and said, “I checked, our keys don’t have a panic button.”

“But we do have a horn?” I asked hopefully.

“If you’re in the van…”

I nodded. Of course, if I was inside there would be no need to sound the alarm. I’ll admit, I wanted to see a bear without interacting with one of the hungry beasts. I did marvel at the number campers sleeping in tents, not at all worried about the local wildlife.

The next morning I heard some rustling outside the van. My heart started to beat a little faster, then I realized it was just Joe. He slid the van’s side door open, poked his head in and said, “You have to come see the view from the overlook. It’s amazing!”

I pulled on some clothes, threw on a hat and coat, and then followed Joe. Yesterday evening, we pulled into the campsite just as the last of the day’s light leaked from the sky and with all the bear talk I wasn’t that interested in leaving the van. This morning there was a chill in the air and the sound of squirrels chittering at each other as if they were broadcasting the meals being prepared at each campsite.

At the overlook the tree-covered mountains appeared to cascade down from the bright blue sky, while the red banded mountains looked like a natural staircase to the valley floor. We peered down into the town of Ouray and noticed the main avenue was paved but most of the side streets were dirt. Enchanted by the view, I was looking up and almost missed a doe and young deer munching on the grass at the edge of the road. We looked at each other for a moment, then the pair headed down a hiking trail.

In the bright morning light, our campsite seemed like the perfect breakfast spot. Joe used our portable stove to make coffee, eggs and toast. After bravely consuming our meal outside we spent the day in town.

That night, back at our campsite we once again ate our dinner sitting at the picnic table. Just before dusk, I walked our trash over to the campground’s bear-proof dumpster. Passing by, I overheard a snippet of conversation between the host and a camper trying to select a site. She said, “You’re scaring me!”

I wanted to call out, “No need to worry. The guy camping next to us is sleeping in a hammock. You’ll be safe inside your van.”

Last edited:

Marlowe Fenne

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

I would love to take some quality photos. However what Steve has said might as well be in French. I need the dummies guide to photography
Similar to “it doesn’t matter what you drive,” the best camera is the one you have with you. I used to carry a large backpack full of Nikon gear and downsized dramatically to Leica. It’s compact and high quality, and it’s always with me. Happy shooting!

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
Lots of fantastic photos on this thread!

I'm a newbie to OB and an intermediate photographer. I'm slowing working on building my rig to enable more photography trips. I had a great trip earlier this fall hitting provincial parks on the north side of Lake Huron & Lake Superior. Canon 80D with Canon 18-135 IS USM, 70-300 IS II USM and 10-18 IS lenses.

George Lake @ Killarney Provincial Park (Ontario)
IMG_4140.jpg

Lighthouse at Killarney, Ontario
IMG_3813.jpg

Ouimet Canyon near Thunder Bay, Ontario. This is truly breathtaking.
IMG_4345-Pano.jpg

The Sleeping Giant at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, Ontario
IMG_4404.jpg

The Aux Sables River at Chutes Provincial Park near Massey, Ontario
IMG_4564.jpg

Canadian Joe

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I'm a newbie to OB and an intermediate photographer. I'm slowing working on building my rig to enable more photography trips. I had a great trip earlier this fall hitting provincial parks on the north side of Lake Huron & Lake Superior. Canon 80D with Canon 18-135 IS USM, 70-300 IS II USM and 10-18 IS lenses.

View attachment 77529

View attachment 77528

View attachment 77530

View attachment 77532

View attachment 77533
Killarney is so spectaular in the Autumn

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Marlowe Fenne

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

View attachment 77529

View attachment 77528

View attachment 77530

View attachment 77532

View attachment 77533
Great work!