Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Hey y’all, so Minnesota is switching laws around and a new one is that no matter what you cannot be holding your phone in hand while driving, even for navigation ( makes sense). So I need to mount my phone somehow, any suggestions? I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey y’all, so Minnesota is switching laws around and a new one is that no matter what you cannot be holding your phone in hand while driving, even for navigation ( makes sense). So I need to mount my phone somehow, any suggestions? I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Ahhh love Gov nannying.

Ram mounts is my preference, mounted to the dash with bolts.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I use the Rugged Ridge Dash Organizer [link] with RAM X-Grip phone mounts [link] for my phone and my wife's phone, it works perfectly and is solid as can be. Similar to the Rugged Ridge product is the Vector OffRoad JKE-Dock [link]. Similar to the RAM products are the 67 Designs mounts [link].

Phone Mount.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MWilliams

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

I use a center counsel mount and holder from ProClipUSA because it's down and outta the way. It mounts on the left edge of the center console. But I see they only offer one dash mount for a 2010 Wrangler. All the other places in my truck don't seem like a good spot for me. Vent ones block the air (gotta have my A/C). Cup holder ones eat up a cup holder up front when you have more that one person. Dash ones are just silly and too far away (even with my ape arms). Plus down and low doesn't advertise to everyone that I am using navigation if I am in a spot I don't know.

Reactions: Jedi and MWilliams

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Plus down and low doesn't advertise to everyone that I am using navigation if I am in a spot I don't know.
I'm of a different mindset, in that I like to have everything I need in direct line of site while watching the road/trail. To each their own I guess.

MWilliams

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Williams
Member #

These all seem like great options! I really like the idea of the edock or the dash organizer, unfortunately when I bought my Jeep the previous owner had replace the original upper dash cover with an mob armor piece that I don’t think would fit under those. Does anyone know where to get replacement factory dash covers?

Reactions: Jedi

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

I'm of a different mindset, in that I like to have everything I need in direct line of site while watching the road/trail. To each their own I guess.
I might be of a different mindset if we had trails here. Unless I want to drive 7+ hours to the UP ours are nothing more than lightly used to overgrown two tracks through the woods. So I don't have a need for a lot of tech out in front of me.

Reactions: MWilliams and Jedi

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

I opted for the Vector OffRoad JL full width contour dock with 1" RAM mount ball accessories. Vector makes a similar product for the JKs. It is solid as a rock and I can mount all my stuff within easy quick glance so that my eyes aren't off the road for more than a split second. My Jeep has the mid-grade radio (no nav.) and that's OK because I use Android Auto and can do phone calls, Nav. and listen to text messages all without touching anything except a button on the steering wheel. Not the best picture in the world but you get the idea.

Reactions: MWilliams and Jedi

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

There are tons of options out there. Personally, I don't want to mount something to my dash with double sided adhesive so most of the dash mounts are out. Window suction stuff is okay. I think sticking a mount in a vent is a really bad idea if you want heat or cool air. The CD mounts might be okay if you have a slot and it doesn't block other stuff. In my Tundra which has the full front seat with a fold down center console I'm considering the cup holder mount in particular the Scosche Magpcup mount.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
What does your dash look like right now? Stock?

MWilliams

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Agreed, that is why I am looking to install the factory piece back on there. The owner before me was the one to put it on so I don't have it and have no idea where to find one.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Agreed, that is why I am looking to install the factory piece back on there. The owner before me was the one to put it on so I don't have it and have no idea where to find one.
Dealer can probably get one for you. I wonder if Quadratec has something.

EDIT:

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
If you go with the Rugged Ridge Dash Organizer you can leave out the center tray. This will allow you to have a bar across the front to mount any RAM, 67 Designs, or similar mount to the bar. No need to replace the aftermarket center piece (unless you hate it and want it gone.)

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a Ram Mount and not really happy with it. I understand they have a new one that work with one hand.