JumboRelic

Rank I

Contributor III

Morehead City, NC, USA
First Name
cole
Last Name
jones
https://ww w.amazon.com/PHILIPS-TB5301G-Refrigerator-Portable-Compressor/dp/B0C23H5G28?th=1

Hello. Does anyone have any experience with these? They are rated for offroad use according to the description. They are pretty new to amazon and I can't find any videos on them. All of my Philips products in the past have all been work horses. Very quality stuff. Each model has a signifcant coupon applied depending on the size you choose!

I had to break the link up. This forum doesn't like links apparently.

Sneezer

Rank I

Contributor II

DFW, tx
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McClelland
I too was looking for info. I think they may be rebranded Wolfbox units. Very similar build. Control panel looks the same as well. I need a fridge and this one checks a lot of boxes, but not sure I want to take a stab at a relatively new player.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m a curmudgeon, that’s just who I am sometimes. The oldest review is from December of 2023, meaning this fridge is the new guy in the game. I wouldn’t trust it for two major reasons- Phillips ( two Ls ) has been in the refrigeration business for about 100 years building quality components for the commercial/industrial sector. Philips, ( one L ) is obviously ripping a well respected name in the industry. The advert claims that the compressor has a range down as low as minus 68f. That’s enough for me to steer clear. Save your money. If you are serious about this hobby, then get a tried, tested & true fridge that’ll last you 10 years ore more. One of mine is 11 years old, the other is 8 years old.. they were about twice the cost of bottom end units but will last three times as long. G-day!

Sneezer

Rank I

Contributor II

DFW, tx
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McClelland
I decided not to risk it. Picked up a dual zone Setpower instead. Worked great on its inaugural campout last month. Very happy with my decision, helps that it was a stinking good deal and I had some GC to further soften the blow.

Reactions: NMNomad

RGTrain

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Triana
Member #

Yes, I have the 39qtr Phillips fridge and have taken it on 2 pretty rough trips Death Valley and Anza Borrego mounted in the back of my truck. Not an issue and it worked extremely well sipping watts once it was down to temp. By the way, I had it hooked up to my 400watt Goal Zero electric generator which was hooked up to my 100w roof solar panel and it fed the unit through the night with about 45% left on the batter before the solar panel started charging the generator again in the morning.

wakka421

Rank I

Contributor II

St. Petersburg, FL
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bethell
I’m a curmudgeon, that’s just who I am sometimes. The oldest review is from December of 2023, meaning this fridge is the new guy in the game. I wouldn’t trust it for two major reasons- Phillips ( two Ls ) has been in the refrigeration business for about 100 years building quality components for the commercial/industrial sector. Philips, ( one L ) is obviously ripping a well respected name in the industry. The advert claims that the compressor has a range down as low as minus 68f. That’s enough for me to steer clear. Save your money. If you are serious about this hobby, then get a tried, tested & true fridge that’ll last you 10 years ore more. One of mine is 11 years old, the other is 8 years old.. they were about twice the cost of bottom end units but will last three times as long. G-day!

I know this post is a little old but you steered that dude way wrong with this misguided comment. The legit Philips is in fact only one L and additionally, the temp range clearly says -7.6F-68F.... as in -7.6 f "to" 68F.

Kind of his fault for just trusting any old "curmudgeon" but that was a hell of way to misguide someone spending $500.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I know this post is a little old but you steered that dude way wrong with this misguided comment. The legit Philips is in fact only one L and additionally, the temp range clearly says -7.6F-68F.... as in -7.6 f "to" 68F.

Kind of his fault for just trusting any old "curmudgeon" but that was a hell of way to misguide someone spending $500.
I research these types of things thoroughly before weighing in. Philips used to be well respected as a producer of mid level high fidelity stereo equipment. Who are they now? Certainly not the same company that has been in the refrigeration business since the 1920s. Sadly now, they ( Philips) have succumbed to the business model of stealing ideas from other companies and making knock offs. I stand by my comments and will wait patiently for 4-5 years for reviews. If they are a good product then I will plead guilty & eat my words. On a side note, one of the major reasons that folks quit camping is because of equipment failures. Poorly made tents that blow over or leak, cots that fall apart in two seasons, camp chairs that fall apart, refrigerators that quit, etc etc. I’d never recommend to a newbie that they purchase “bargain” type equipment or be a Guinea pig for a new and unproven product. I very rarely suggest really expensive high end stuff like Snow Peak or Snow master to anyone. I’m always looking for the best and most reliable product for the buck. You can bet, if a product is new and retailing for a really low price that’s what you’ll get, a really low product. MK, have a good day!!

wakka421

Rank I

Contributor II

St. Petersburg, FL
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bethell
I research these types of things thoroughly before weighing in. Philips used to be well respected as a producer of mid level high fidelity stereo equipment. Who are they now? Certainly not the same company that has been in the refrigeration business since the 1920s. Sadly now, they ( Philips) have succumbed to the business model of stealing ideas from other companies and making knock offs. I stand by my comments and will wait patiently for 4-5 years for reviews. If they are a good product then I will plead guilty & eat my words. On a side note, one of the major reasons that folks quit camping is because of equipment failures. Poorly made tents that blow over or leak, cots that fall apart in two seasons, camp chairs that fall apart, refrigerators that quit, etc etc. I’d never recommend to a newbie that they purchase “bargain” type equipment or be a Guinea pig for a new and unproven product. I very rarely suggest really expensive high end stuff like Snow Peak or Snow master to anyone. I’m always looking for the best and most reliable product for the buck. You can bet, if a product is new and retailing for a really low price that’s what you’ll get, a really low product. MK, have a good day!!

You are completely changing the story though. That's not at all what you first said. You said that this company "Philips" is ripping off the real company "Phillips". That's not true at all as Philips has always been the legitimate company. You also never addressed the -68F comment that made you "steer clear" and tell the guy to save his money.

I agree this is a new product and to be cautious, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Philips nor the wording and claims in the description. You could have just admitted you messed up but instead came up with more BS.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You are completely changing the story though. That's not at all what you first said. You said that this company "Philips" is ripping off the real company "Phillips". That's not true at all as Philips has always been the legitimate company. You also never addressed the -68F comment that made you "steer clear" and tell the guy to save his money.

I agree this is a new product and to be cautious, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Philips nor the wording and claims in the description. You could have just admitted you messed up but instead came up with more BS.
Fair enough- I didn’t think I needed to address the -68 comment , an obvious mis read. The rest? Ok, I’ll admit I went off the deep end. I hope the OP, bought a good one. I shoulda just said, don’t be a Guinea pig for new knock off products.