Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Göteborg Sweden
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Carr
Member #

I’ve started building an overlanding rig from a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, the motor is old (450k km) it’s a 2.7td. Now I have the opportunity to buy another pathfinder with a few parts I’d like and also need. It has the V6 3.0 Petrol engine which was used in a lot of other cars so more room for upgrades if needed. It also has half the kilometres.
I like having a turbo diesel truck but I also like having a reliable truck. Swapping the motor out seems like an easy way to have a potentially more reliable motor that will cruise at better speeds on highways. Or I could do a simple rebuild (head gasket, pumps, cooling system)
Which way would you go?

Attachments

Reactions: miguel_fzj80

miguel_fzj80

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Arevalo
Member #

Just go for it!
What ever works best for you.
I really would like to see more pathfinders our on the trails.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Usually in the states people do the opposite swap. Diesel in and petrol out. Diesel is regarded as a much more reliable platform here. I guess its a matter of necessity in other countries. From my understanding Petrol is a lot more expensive and less readily available in rural areas of Europe.

I would rebuild the diesel if it were me.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hey mate,

Here in California, Toyota diesel engines are worth more then gold. I spent 2 years looking for one to do a conversion on 1993 FZJ80. Found one that came from the LC that marked the way points for the Paris-Dakar race and imported from Belgium. Here is the link to my blog...

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I hear lots of European cities banning diesel, not sure if that is so but I really prefer gas anyway. I'd do it.