Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Hi everyone,

Im planning a trip to peters mill /taskers gap area the weekend of may 29th. What kind of trails can I expect this time of the year? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Hi @Jostr. I actually drove up to that area two weekends ago and did a night of dispersed camping in the Forest. PMR was actually still closed from the winter, but I imagine it's closed due to the shutdown at this point. Normally it re-opens in late March or so, but the gates were closed and locked. Hopefully by the end of May we'll be passed most of this and things will re-open.

I'm very familiar with that area, and generally get up there a few weekends a month. PMR is a pretty easy run, and definitely stock friendly. The only thing you'll deal with at the end of May is most likely some tight trails, possible overgrowth from Spring, mainly towards the southern end of the trail. That's where it gets pretty tight, especially if you have another vehicle coming the other direction. Outside of that, it makes for a fun afternoon! Don't forget to stop in the Fort Valley Country Store right at the bottom of Woodstock Tower and Fort Valley road to get your day pass. It's only $5.

Are you familiar with the rest of that Fort Valley/Elizabeth Furnance area? There's a lot to do out there and some great camping spots.

Reactions: MuckSavage

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Thanks @sabjku , I've never been to that area. We originally had a trip planned there because it was half way for the others going. But with all the mess going around we had to cancel the trip. I hope to make it up there some day soon.

Reactions: MuckSavage