Perspective of a Newbie! - Trans NJ Trail

• HTML tutorial

sccsammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

**** Pics below past all the boring rambling ****

**** Would love input from more experienced people on what one would definitely need when starting out that I may have missed****

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to this forum, but love the well of knowledge that's on here. I got pumped reading threads and things and wanted to set out on my first adventure as soon as possible. My rig is a 2007 Tacoma and its all stock. No gear no nothing. I'm looking to spend money on things but want to know what I REALLY need FIRST, instead of things that look cool but I might not always use right away. I live in Bucks County, PA area and we do not have a lot of trails that one could use. I am however close to NJ and stumbled upon this thread: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/trans-new-jersey-trail.4313/

****Major props to @Xplorer313 who laid the ground work for this trail and was more than willing to share trail maps!!

I did not have time to do more than a small section, but it really helped me realize whats important on a trail ride and how to approach equipping my rig.
I plan to keep doing small sections of this trail whenever I have time, just to learn more, explore, and have fun!

First impressions of what I need to do or get:

1. I should have brought at least a phone charger.
This by far was my dumbest error. Towards the end of my trip, I started realizing I was quite a ways away from any kind of civilization. Jersey is not super secluded a couple miles and you can find some stores and people to get help, but if my phone died I literally would have been stuck in the middle of no where with no way to reach out to even explain to people where I was or how to come help me. Luckily, I made it with no problems, but this was a small oversite that could have had greater consequences. A CB radio is definitely on the list of more urgent upgrades, as well as the common sense and convenience of having a phone charger in the truck.

2. An ax and saw.
Along the trail was way more fallen branches and logs than I expected. More than once I had to get out and clear some branches out of the way. This would have taken less time if I just had an ax. One log was so big there was no way around it and I had to back track a little bit and find another path around it.

3. Suspension and tires
The section I ended up doing was more flat and marshlands, but still my stock suspension was a little too soft and bouncy. Obviously, wheels and suspension is a must for off-roading. I would really like some more ground clearance as well as better performance out of my wheel/suspension setup. This will probably be my first big purchase as I want quality over the cheap, low quality, looks only 6 inch lift. I do not think I want to invest into long travel suspension quite yet. But I do want to has a 2" - 3" lift that will be able to handle rougher trails with ease.

4. Water seal
Sorry if I sound a little ignorant on this. I have not read up much on the topic yet. But I see guys that run snorkels on there rig. I definitely encountered some sections where my wheel wells were almost completely submerged and I was quite worried about flooding the engine. (It has rained a lot in this area past two weeks.) I dont know if this is possible while the car is on and you have back pressure out of the exhaust, but I would feel much more comfortable knowing that it wont harm my car if I "seal it". Not sure what all this entails, but will research and find out. I know that some clearance with my suspension and tires will make this a smaller issue than it is now.

5. Winch
A lot of the time I end up going out on a whim by myself and tackling some adventure that I am really excited about. This usually means that I go out by myself and this creates a scenario where if I get stuck in some mud or something I have no way to pull myself out. A winch would definitely help make me feel a little more secure and not worried to try to tackle a section that maybe I might avoid if I didn't have it.

6. Camping Gear
I want to be able to do overnighters. I really really want an RTT, but definitely gear up enough so that I can enjoy two or three days without stopping. That is the end goal. To be able to do couple days where my rig can handle it, it is mostly comfortable, and I have plenty of shelter and supplies to get me through the trail!

Pics from the mini trip.
Enjoy!

upload_2018-7-30_9-27-10.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-27-19.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-27-30.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-27-40.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-27-55.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-28-7.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-28-18.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-28-43.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_9-28-56.jpeg

Civiceg94

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nice pictures. Seems you had fun what part did you do? I didnt get to encounter fallen trees or deep puddles of water. My stock tires on my tundra did just fine but i need better suspension to make things comfortable.

sccsammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice pictures. Seems you had fun what part did you do? I didnt get to encounter fallen trees or deep puddles of water. My stock tires on my tundra did just fine but i need better suspension to make things comfortable.
Thanks! I did from six flags area off of 195 to Byrne State Forest. It was cool. I expected it to be a little more technical, but it was mostly flat and puddles here and there. Looking back now some of the more fun sections are probably more up north towards the Pocono's closer to you. Might try to do some sections up there next.

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
Welcome Sammy!! Looks like you are well on your way to self sufficient overland travel. Don't be too anxious to mod out your rig, those Taco's are extremely capable. A set of good tires can be helpful, but lifts and specialty items and custom kits just add more parts to interact poorly with stock parts and more potential breaking points. Some people will argue to the contrary, as with most things in life.

Keeping your rig safe in water crossings is about steady and consistent throttle control and keeping water from getting in the intake or backing up the tail pipe. A snorkel works to correct the first problem and the application of consistent throttle works to correct the second.

Axes and saws and a come along (hand powered winch) can be easily had and should be a part of your rescue equipment. A tire puncture kit and an air compressor are very useful too. Some simple 1x1 metal square tubing can be welded into effective traction boards, or you can spend some money on some. Do research on your Googleometer, you'll find low cost alternatives. This will address traction issues and downed vegetation on your journeys.

Camping gear is varied and can easily go with the seasons and your comfort levels. In summer some folks (like me) will take the minimum needed... a tarp and a blanket/sleep pad. A hammock or a simple popup tent (some are even the right size to fit in the bed of your truck) are common in the community. Some people prefer a topper on the bed, then putting any sort of blow up mattress, memory foam or otherwise to form a bed in the bed... you see where I'm going with that. RTT's are stylish and a status symbol IMO. I've always thought they may add weight high up, where I don't want it and are expensive and look to be more hassle to upkeep, set up and break down. Do your research, there are TONS of options for sleeping out in nature.

CB radios are good, probably even more useful on the crowded east side of the country. In wild parts of the west, they are next to useless. Look at getting a free HAM tech license and a $60 (or less) HAM capable radio by baofeng (or similar) from amazon. Take the time to learn how to operate it and to use it effectively and you will never be out of comms range. Cell chargers are important and cell phones are useful (especially for pictures!) but having a capable and useful backup is a comfort, if not else.

Above all, have fun! Don't over plan, cause plans fail and that can lead to frustration. Do tell people where you are headed, it's always a good idea to do so, but don't always tell people where you have been. The natural beauty you will find out there is special and doesn't need to be shared with every Tom Dick and Harry.

Civiceg94

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I did the starting point up north not much fun nice houses thats for sure lol i did about 140 miles of it i think. More wilderness by pinelands i think thats where i was last time and my tundra couldnt fit.

sccsammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome Sammy!! Looks like you are well on your way to self sufficient overland travel. Don't be too anxious to mod out your rig, those Taco's are extremely capable. A set of good tires can be helpful, but lifts and specialty items and custom kits just add more parts to interact poorly with stock parts and more potential breaking points. Some people will argue to the contrary, as with most things in life.

Keeping your rig safe in water crossings is about steady and consistent throttle control and keeping water from getting in the intake or backing up the tail pipe. A snorkel works to correct the first problem and the application of consistent throttle works to correct the second.

Axes and saws and a come along (hand powered winch) can be easily had and should be a part of your rescue equipment. A tire puncture kit and an air compressor are very useful too. Some simple 1x1 metal square tubing can be welded into effective traction boards, or you can spend some money on some. Do research on your Googleometer, you'll find low cost alternatives. This will address traction issues and downed vegetation on your journeys.

Camping gear is varied and can easily go with the seasons and your comfort levels. In summer some folks (like me) will take the minimum needed... a tarp and a blanket/sleep pad. A hammock or a simple popup tent (some are even the right size to fit in the bed of your truck) are common in the community. Some people prefer a topper on the bed, then putting any sort of blow up mattress, memory foam or otherwise to form a bed in the bed... you see where I'm going with that. RTT's are stylish and a status symbol IMO. I've always thought they may add weight high up, where I don't want it and are expensive and look to be more hassle to upkeep, set up and break down. Do your research, there are TONS of options for sleeping out in nature.

CB radios are good, probably even more useful on the crowded east side of the country. In wild parts of the west, they are next to useless. Look at getting a free HAM tech license and a $60 (or less) HAM capable radio by baofeng (or similar) from amazon. Take the time to learn how to operate it and to use it effectively and you will never be out of comms range. Cell chargers are important and cell phones are useful (especially for pictures!) but having a capable and useful backup is a comfort, if not else.

Above all, have fun! Don't over plan, cause plans fail and that can lead to frustration. Do tell people where you are headed, it's always a good idea to do so, but don't always tell people where you have been. The natural beauty you will find out there is special and doesn't need to be shared with every Tom Dick and Harry.
Thanks for the awesome detailed write up!

I definitely didnt even think about a tire puncture kit and air compressor. And a come along is definitely a cheaper alternative for now instead of a winch. Like you said, a CB radio is probably just fine for the east coast, but I also know really little about HAM or GMRS. But before I buy I always like to do a ton of research on what I need more.

I always appreciate advice for alternative equipment and cheaper options. Thank you.

sccsammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

I did the starting point up north not much fun nice houses thats for sure lol i did about 140 miles of it i think. More wilderness by pinelands i think thats where i was last time and my tundra couldnt fit.
Ya, there were some sections that just seemed like a walk in the woods except I was in my truck. I dont mind that at all, but I wouldnt mind some more technical sections as well.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I feel like a lot of jersey is exactly what your pictures looked like. Dirt roads through pine trees. As someone also just starting, I tried to go wheeling as much as I could with a stock vehicle. That gave me a very good sense of exactly what I needed. As I went I upgraded parts that I felt needed it or parts that I just wanted beefier. My only experience in jersey is in Wharton state forest. (Also called the Pinelands). Iv spent many nights in those woods and it looks just like the pictures you posted. Sandy roads with some water holes and pine trees.

Jersey as a whole seems to be a great place to start. Secluded enough to feel like your in the middle of nowhere but populated enough to get yourself out of trouble. And it doesn’t seem terribly technical either. Enjoy your truck! It’s an awesome vehicle

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

**** Pics below past all the boring rambling ****

**** Would love input from more experienced people on what one would definitely need when starting out that I may have missed****

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to this forum, but love the well of knowledge that's on here. I got pumped reading threads and things and wanted to set out on my first adventure as soon as possible. My rig is a 2007 Tacoma and its all stock. No gear no nothing. I'm looking to spend money on things but want to know what I REALLY need FIRST, instead of things that look cool but I might not always use right away. I live in Bucks County, PA area and we do not have a lot of trails that one could use. I am however close to NJ and stumbled upon this thread: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/trans-new-jersey-trail.4313/

****Major props to @Xplorer313 who laid the ground work for this trail and was more than willing to share trail maps!!

I did not have time to do more than a small section, but it really helped me realize whats important on a trail ride and how to approach equipping my rig.
I plan to keep doing small sections of this trail whenever I have time, just to learn more, explore, and have fun!

First impressions of what I need to do or get:

1. I should have brought at least a phone charger.
This by far was my dumbest error. Towards the end of my trip, I started realizing I was quite a ways away from any kind of civilization. Jersey is not super secluded a couple miles and you can find some stores and people to get help, but if my phone died I literally would have been stuck in the middle of no where with no way to reach out to even explain to people where I was or how to come help me. Luckily, I made it with no problems, but this was a small oversite that could have had greater consequences. A CB radio is definitely on the list of more urgent upgrades, as well as the common sense and convenience of having a phone charger in the truck.

2. An ax and saw.
Along the trail was way more fallen branches and logs than I expected. More than once I had to get out and clear some branches out of the way. This would have taken less time if I just had an ax. One log was so big there was no way around it and I had to back track a little bit and find another path around it.

3. Suspension and tires
The section I ended up doing was more flat and marshlands, but still my stock suspension was a little too soft and bouncy. Obviously, wheels and suspension is a must for off-roading. I would really like some more ground clearance as well as better performance out of my wheel/suspension setup. This will probably be my first big purchase as I want quality over the cheap, low quality, looks only 6 inch lift. I do not think I want to invest into long travel suspension quite yet. But I do want to has a 2" - 3" lift that will be able to handle rougher trails with ease.

4. Water seal
Sorry if I sound a little ignorant on this. I have not read up much on the topic yet. But I see guys that run snorkels on there rig. I definitely encountered some sections where my wheel wells were almost completely submerged and I was quite worried about flooding the engine. (It has rained a lot in this area past two weeks.) I dont know if this is possible while the car is on and you have back pressure out of the exhaust, but I would feel much more comfortable knowing that it wont harm my car if I "seal it". Not sure what all this entails, but will research and find out. I know that some clearance with my suspension and tires will make this a smaller issue than it is now.

5. Winch
A lot of the time I end up going out on a whim by myself and tackling some adventure that I am really excited about. This usually means that I go out by myself and this creates a scenario where if I get stuck in some mud or something I have no way to pull myself out. A winch would definitely help make me feel a little more secure and not worried to try to tackle a section that maybe I might avoid if I didn't have it.

6. Camping Gear
I want to be able to do overnighters. I really really want an RTT, but definitely gear up enough so that I can enjoy two or three days without stopping. That is the end goal. To be able to do couple days where my rig can handle it, it is mostly comfortable, and I have plenty of shelter and supplies to get me through the trail!

Pics from the mini trip.
Enjoy!

View attachment 63260
View attachment 63261
View attachment 63262
View attachment 63263
View attachment 63264
View attachment 63265
View attachment 63266
View attachment 63267
View attachment 63268
Just wanted to say welcome. I have an 05 Tacoma, formerly a trd sport too. I say formerly because it's getting pretty built out. Each person's needs are a little different. So far I've only been out solo so I built to be as self sufficient as possible without going completely overboard. My truck was already lifted 6" and on 35" Nittos before I got into overlanding but it hasn't caused any issues yet. Biggest thing you can't see below are the arb air lockers with 488 gears. Btw, I live in Montgomery county and work in bucks.20180415_073707.jpg

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Welcome! Glad you had a chance to take your rig out and test it out to see what you needed. To share my experience, I've started this a little over a year ago and still run on stock tires and suspension. The only real mod that I've added were the sliders. As others have mentioned, I would first invest in an air compressor. Not just to air up/down your tires for trail rides, but to also air up your spare in case you forgot to check 'em before you leave on your trip.

The goal for me was to just make sure I can leave my house and get back in one piece. Which is why I've first invested in recovery gear/tools/points (ie., straps, traction boards, rated recovery points front & back, farm jack, shovel, basic tools) before doing anything else to the truck. Also put together a good first-aid/trauma kit and a fire extinguisher.

I've been doing ok with the factory setup. Minor damage to the factory skids (just hammering them out and repainting after trips) and touching up scratches underneath as necessary. The sliders are great, mainly because our trucks have a longer wheelbase and tend to have a poorer break over compared to most SUVs out there. It's also another accessible point to jack up your truck in a pinch because you may not always have a nice flat surface to fit/use that bottle jack.

Communications is a must (in my opinion) with a group. Being able to warn others of obstacles or listening to your trail lead for what's coming and the ease of making decisions while driving is essential for a good day on the trail. I invested in a CB because it's been the most common in the groups that I travel with.

I've been eyeing the trans NJ trail also. If you decide to go back out and want company, use the OB rally point tool! I'd love to head up there and try out the trail! Riding in a group is also a plus for spotting, picking good lines, and of course recovery!

sccsammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just wanted to say welcome. I have an 05 Tacoma, formerly a trd sport too. I say formerly because it's getting pretty built out. Each person's needs are a little different. So far I've only been out solo so I built to be as self sufficient as possible without going completely overboard. My truck was already lifted 6" and on 35" Nittos before I got into overlanding but it hasn't caused any issues yet. Biggest thing you can't see below are the arb air lockers with 488 gears. Btw, I live in Montgomery county and work in bucks.View attachment 64179
Awesome Rig!! Ya it seems my list is getting longer and longer for upgrades. I've been reading a mix of things between here and tacoma world and I'm forming a game plan on what are "needs" and what are "wants". I definitely want some of the wants more than the needs lol. Awesome truck though! I really like it. I'll be keeping an eye out for it lol Thanks!

Reactions: Rocksylvania

sccsammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome! Glad you had a chance to take your rig out and test it out to see what you needed. To share my experience, I've started this a little over a year ago and still run on stock tires and suspension. The only real mod that I've added were the sliders. As others have mentioned, I would first invest in an air compressor. Not just to air up/down your tires for trail rides, but to also air up your spare in case you forgot to check 'em before you leave on your trip.

The goal for me was to just make sure I can leave my house and get back in one piece. Which is why I've first invested in recovery gear/tools/points (ie., straps, traction boards, rated recovery points front & back, farm jack, shovel, basic tools) before doing anything else to the truck. Also put together a good first-aid/trauma kit and a fire extinguisher.

I've been doing ok with the factory setup. Minor damage to the factory skids (just hammering them out and repainting after trips) and touching up scratches underneath as necessary. The sliders are great, mainly because our trucks have a longer wheelbase and tend to have a poorer break over compared to most SUVs out there. It's also another accessible point to jack up your truck in a pinch because you may not always have a nice flat surface to fit/use that bottle jack.

Communications is a must (in my opinion) with a group. Being able to warn others of obstacles or listening to your trail lead for what's coming and the ease of making decisions while driving is essential for a good day on the trail. I invested in a CB because it's been the most common in the groups that I travel with.

I've been eyeing the trans NJ trail also. If you decide to go back out and want company, use the OB rally point tool! I'd love to head up there and try out the trail! Riding in a group is also a plus for spotting, picking good lines, and of course recovery!
Yes, I already ordered my air compressor. I want to rig it to be on board and have easily accessable quick release nozzles in the front and back. I figured tire repair is a top priority. At least thats what I have run into in mounatin biking.

Getting back home in one piece is definitely the goal. This truck is also my daily so anything that goes wrong has to get fixed asap.

NJ trail is pretty cool for a beginner. Im sure you guys have way better trails out in VA. My cousin lives out there so Ive been looking at trails near his place and have an excuse to go out there. Its not too far of a drive either :).

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Awesome Rig!! Ya it seems my list is getting longer and longer for upgrades. I've been reading a mix of things between here and tacoma world and I'm forming a game plan on what are "needs" and what are "wants". I definitely want some of the wants more than the needs lol. Awesome truck though! I really like it. I'll be keeping an eye out for it lol Thanks!
Feel free to ask me any specific gear/mod questions. Publicly or via PM. And if you want someone to go exploring with feel free to ask that too. Can't guarantee availability but we're not far away and it's always nice to run with another taco.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Fancy wheels are not needed for off-roading so save your money and keep your OEM wheels. They look good. PlastiDip them if you feel the need to look different.

Most of the stuff has already been covered but here is my essentials list.

1. Good tires (the largest diameter you can fit)
2. Traction boards (Maxsa, Maxtrax, etc.)
3. Basic tool kit including shovel, axe or saw, flashlight etc.
4. Recovery kit (ARB, Motormic etc) includes 30' strap, shackles, etc.
5. First Aid kit, extra clothes, coat, snacks and plenty of water
6. Fire extinguisher (Kidde 2.5lb stows under the rear seat nicely)
7. Solid communication and/or good maps. And let people know your travel plans.
8. Portable or on-board air compressor and auto tire deflators
9. Tire plugs and patch kit

Underbody armor, vehicle lift, LED lights and the other cool stuff is great and very helpful but they are not what I would consider essential for getting off the paved road.

Reactions: TSO_NJ