Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Ive been traditionally using the "Really Useful Boxes" for alot of my stuff in back of the Rig and to be fair it has survived pretty well,

I recently (about a month ago) got 1 front runner wolf pack as a trial
worked really well, nice strong box which has so far survived the back of my landy with it being thrown around,
So last week i purchased a 2nd one to see how well they hold together as a stack - as it has more ribs in the top to almost clip together than other ones I've used

Been quite impressed so far

Reactions: DanR

citybiker

Rank 0

Contributor II

UK
First Name
C
Last Name
C
I do like the QR mounts that’s on outer limits website.

Very handy size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

TJM has a new line of water tight big boxes out - not sure how many of them they currently stock in the US.

Doug M

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lake Orion, MI
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mathias
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / 19K
I found a few Hardigg cases (US Military mil-spec cases) in Army-Navy stores as well as with the usual online surplus stores, such as Sportsmans Guide. The last case I bought is fully waterproof (good for Seattle area weather) and is big enough to carry all my soft goods (ARB awning tent, sleeping bag, inflatable mattress etc). I will carry it on the roof rack.

Reactions: GHQ1

JK_pix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lincoln, Nebraska
First Name
Vishal
Last Name
Singh
Member #

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Yesterday the wife & I done a inventory on our gear. We use 2 different types of storage totes, we have (2) Homz DuraBILT Storage Tote size 30.3\4" x 20.1\2" x 14.3\8" for kitchen cook wear & the other for Misc. items like our First Aid Kit, Fire Starter Kit, Personal Hygiene, & so-on. We also use 2 Plano 56qt Storage Boxes, (green) we have coffee, flour, sugar, cold brew tea bags, gravy mixes, can foods & so-on (things that can be stored a long time).
The black Plano 56qt Storage Box is used for perishable foods like bread, flour & corn tortilla's, chips cake mix & so-0n.
I can not say if they will serve anyone else for their actual needs or requirements. They do just fine for Sally & I.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/798471-homz-durabilt-27-gallon-camo-storage-tote.

[URL]https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/plano-56-qt-sportsman-tub/0000000087079?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_-doued2QIVgbbACh2wgwzPEAQYAiABEgKxLPD_BwE
[/URL]

Last edited:

BADDOGG

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

LaGrange, Georgia
Member #

Harbor Freight sells pelican knockoffs and they are perpetually on sale. I checked them out last time I was there and they look like they are built reasonably well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Quicksilver

Sauerkraut088

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wequetequock
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wollschlager
Member #

So , I have been on the search for cases/boxes that are rugged , and semi waterproof (optional) but strong . However any alternatives to Pelican are not any cheaper . So my question to all of you is what inexpensive alternatives are there. And please don't say just buy pelican or any of the common alternatives because thats not what im looking for . Currently i have a Plano case that does the job , and it wasn't expensive 129.99 CDN . But i would like to have a few more cases , and different sizes . So what do you use /recommend for a inexpensive box/case to hold gear in?
I recently purchased some of the rugged cases from Harbour Friegh. They are pretty darn good for coming from harbor freight. I use one to build a first aid kit for my fiances search K9. Rigid makes some rugged cases that seem pretty tough. There are a few reviews on youtube for both.

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Zip Lock makes cases you can pick up at Wal Mart that are pretty cheap and seal stuff out. They have gotten good reviews.

PauldF

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have used the rubbermaid large boxes for years. Strong, hold a ton (can get heavy), not waterproof but don't really leak unless outside on the roof rack in a downpour without a tarp, but don't really stack all that well. They are very slippery and the stacking design isn't very good - at least on these old models. I think I'm in the market for some new boxes and will check out the Planos and the Wolf Packs. Front Runner has a store right by me and I checked the Wolf Packs out and I like them - they stack nicely but they are not waterproof either and the plastic sides seem a bit thin. How stackable - ie; stay together are the Plano's?

Last edited: