PCH Trip, Starting at Pismo Beach.............. Need ideas

• HTML tutorial

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

We are in the planning stages of our upcoming trip up the PCH and I am hoping some of you can give me some info on good spots to camp and a work around for the landslide thats taken out the road by Big Sur.
We will be leaving home the morning of the first and heading to Pismo. After Pismo we will be going North on the PCH as far up as we can make it before we have to stop and head back home. We have to be home on the 8th. I am hoping to make it up into Oregon, but there is no set plan. This is going to be a casual relaxing trip for us, first vacation we've had since 2010 really, and we are not interested in rushing. Would like to spend a day in San Fran riding the trolley and seeing some of the sites, and would like to spend some time in the Redwoods.
So, if anyone has any info on a safe place to park an Overland truck for the day in or around San Fran, that would be great, and any info on a place to camp AFTER a day in San Fran, and a good place to possibly watch some fireworks on the 4th. Also, any good spots to camp up the coast.
THX

Tyler Man

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Come to cayucos I'll show you the most bad ass place to camp and watch the fireworks.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Arizona Overland

Nikko

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

If you're heading up to San Fran and continuing north, head over to the Lost Coast Beach on Usal Rd. There are some previous post on this destination. You can camp anywhere on the beach and check out the creek as well. If you're taking the 1, the exit should be Usal Rd. just ahead of Westport. Have always wanted to go but haven't found the chance.
On the other hand, if your turning back from San Fran you always have the option of stopping by Sequoia NF/ Kings Canyon NP.
Hope this helps. Goodluck on your trip, have fun and safe travels!

Reactions: Arizona Overland

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

If you're heading up to San Fran and continuing north, head over to the Lost Coast Beach on Usal Rd. There are some previous post on this destination. You can camp anywhere on the beach and check out the creek as well. If you're taking the 1, the exit should be Usal Rd. just ahead of Westport. Have always wanted to go but haven't found the chance.
On the other hand, if your turning back from San Fran you always have the option of stopping by Sequoia NF/ Kings Canyon NP.
Hope this helps. Goodluck on your trip, have fun and safe travels!
Thank you bud. No, we are heading north after SF. Im hoping to make it to Oregon.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Well, this trip has been scrapped. Found out you need to book the dunes at pismo like in January if you want between the 1st & 4th. So, the only thing I could figure was booking a hotel in Morro Bay, to the tune of 400+ bucks, and thats like half my trip funds. So we decided to run the trip in reverse. We will head out, head Northwest, probably stop in Redding for a couple nights at family members house, then head north to Oregon and come down the coast.
Still could use some ideas for camping spots down the coast between Oregon and SanFran.