Cancelled PCE Trail Ride to Pinelands Brewing Co.

• HTML tutorial

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

For you "FNG's" please make sure you have your own recovery gear. (Hooks, tow points, rated straps) at a minimum. I'm sure nobody will have an issue assisting in a recovery but when it's sloppy it's proper etiquette to dirty your own gear..

#Get_Lost_In_A_Tundra

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

West Milford, NJ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
O’Brien
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFG305
For you "FNG's" please make sure you have your own recovery gear. (Hooks, tow points, rated straps) at a minimum. I'm sure nobody will have an issue assisting in a recovery but when it's sloppy it's proper etiquette to dirty your own gear..
I got a strap and maxtrax so I should be good to go. And always glad to help others.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Hahahaha, I can careless about who’s gear gets used, mine or someone else’s, what I care about most is getting the person out. Gear can be cleaned. I’ve been wheeling and hosting runs for a lot longer than this forum and website has been around, not once have I ever been told about this “proper etiquette”. I’m gonna go with you just don’t want your gear dirty and too lazy to help get your gear out.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Hahahaha, I can careless about who’s gear gets used, mine or someone else’s, what I care about most is getting the person out. Gear can be cleaned. I’ve been wheeling and hosting runs for a lot longer than this forum and website has been around, not once have I ever been told about this “proper etiquette”. I’m gonna go with you just don’t want your gear dirty and too lazy to help get your gear out.
Go prepared is one of the core values, no? You don't know me so avoid making assumptions. To go wheeling without proper recovery gear is irresponsible. Plus, in the even someone does get stuck, they should know how to use the gear they will be carrying for future events. I've "unstucked" multiple people over the years. However, there was a time where a new person spun their tires in my Maxtrax and demolished them. That's a $330 mistake I'd like to avoid. There's more to it than your assumption of me being lazy. A strong assumption based off of zero facts.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Go prepared is one of the core values, no? You don't know me so avoid making assumptions. To go wheeling without proper recovery gear is irresponsible. Plus, in the even someone does get stuck, they should know how to use the gear they will be carrying for future events. I've "unstucked" multiple people over the years. However, there was a time where a new person spun their tires in my Maxtrax and demolished them. That's a $330 mistake I'd like to avoid. There's more to it than your assumption of me being lazy. A strong assumption based off of zero facts.
Yes, you should go prepared but I WILL NOT turn away a newbie due to them not having proper gear or the know how to use the gear. It’s our responsibility to teach the new people. Your comment came off as being douchey and not willing to help. I cannot help but to assume your intentions from a horrible comment like calling the newbies as “f*cking new guys”.

On my trail rides, we are a team. That team works together to help out those who need help. That includes the gear each person brings or doesn’t bring. Gear can and will get damaged with use. You cannot stop that unless you just don’t use it at all.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
It's a military term. Used as a joke. Lighten up.
Its also a machinist’s term used to describe the new guy who doesn’t know anything.

Now who’s the one assuming things by telling me I need to lighten up?

#Get_Lost_In_A_Tundra

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

West Milford, NJ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
O’Brien
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFG305
New to this group doesn’t necessarily mean new to wheeling. So yeah “fng” is slightly offensive and presumptuous but it doesn’t bother me. I’ve been wheeling since I could drive in all sorts of groups and terrain. I fully agree with being prepared I was a boy scout and that’s our motto. But also I fully support helping and teaching those who are completely new to wheeling. So if I need to get my maxtrax and strap dirty so be it. We also all need to come together as a whole and support one another. Again I’m new to this group but not new to life and wheeling. So let’s not discourage anyone by bickering. Looking forward to getting out on the trail and meeting new people.

Reactions: Xplorr313

RastaPasta

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Williamstown, NJ
First Name
Ross
Last Name
B
Member #

Just to calm everyone's nerves, I/we have the only recovery gear we need... a positive attitude!
Just kidding, I do have recovery gear, I promise.

DaveWheeler

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Medford, NJ, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2YQ
I had a really great time on the ride from Tabernacle to Screamin' Hill Brewery. Looking forward to meeting more OB members, and of course, trying another brewery.

PS - I checked with the brewery, and they are dog-friendly (unlike Screamin' Hill). I know this kept a few folks out of the last ride.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
After getting a bit bugged by the bickering from earlier today, I decided to clear my head the best way I know how...with a prerun of some of the route.

I went out to a section, of our planned route, that I haven’t been on in almost 6 years. Things are exactly as I remembered them being. There’s about a 1/2 mile to a mile of the route that is tight, and the guys with full sizes will end up with some piney stripes unfortunately. There’s also some holes that seem deep along this part of the route. There are a few go around and a few that don’t have go arounds. The ones that didn’t have go arounds were not that bad. After crossing over the Allen Rd intersection along this part of the route, the trail opened up to almost a double track.

We ended our 11 mile prerun at Pinelands Brewing Company. I spoke with the chick behind the counter and she told me to email them about our group and they should be able to accommodate us. Their Midnight Paradise Cream Ale was delicious. I was surprised to see it as dark as it was for it being a cream ale. Pricing wasn’t bad, for two 16oz glasses, it was $12.

149B6F89-2CE4-4387-B4B7-7D85CA9F55F6.png
The 11 mile section that I preran today

102C0127-4A77-4E46-B270-F67CE4EF7D72.jpeg
Troy happy to be out on the trail. New Bass River sign that I don’t remember ever being there 6 years ago.

87BD53CB-C517-4193-8E70-94BD0E9B6957.jpeg
Tight 1/2 mile to 1 mile section

C4CB2BCC-B8CF-4850-81D7-A7BA12612240.jpeg
Shortly after the tight section the trail opened up. This is one of the very soft and somewhat deep holes. I took the go around but it was a little tight squeezing through the two trees. Full sizes should be able to make the go around.

BEDD8ED6-F46E-4128-99AA-E0B1CA50B6BC.jpeg
This was after the Allen Rd intersection where the trail opens up to almost a two lane (double track) trail. They were doing some prescribed burning today as well. The forest smelled amazing.

0F075C96-9883-43FA-8043-9733651AD7E0.jpeg9B4BEAD3-95E4-4308-9D5D-950CA91FCDCE.jpeg
Pinelands Brewing Co. and the cream ale.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
After getting a bit bugged by the bickering from earlier today, I decided to clear my head the best way I know how...with a prerun of some of the route.

I went out to a section, of our planned route, that I haven’t been on in almost 6 years. Things are exactly as I remembered them being. There’s about a 1/2 mile to a mile of the route that is tight, and the guys with full sizes will end up with some piney stripes unfortunately. There’s also some holes that seem deep along this part of the route. There are a few go around and a few that don’t have go arounds. The ones that didn’t have go arounds were not that bad. After crossing over the Allen Rd intersection along this part of the route, the trail opened up to almost a double track.

We ended our 11 mile prerun at Pinelands Brewing Company. I spoke with the chick behind the counter and she told me to email them about our group and they should be able to accommodate us. Their Midnight Paradise Cream Ale was delicious. I was surprised to see it as dark as it was for it being a cream ale. Pricing wasn’t bad, for two 16oz glasses, it was $12.

View attachment 142518
The 11 mile section that I preran today

View attachment 142519
Troy happy to be out on the trail. New Bass River sign that I don’t remember ever being there 6 years ago.

View attachment 142520
Tight 1/2 mile to 1 mile section

View attachment 142521
Shortly after the tight section the trail opened up. This is one of the very soft and somewhat deep holes. I took the go around but it was a little tight squeezing through the two trees. Full sizes should be able to make the go around.

View attachment 142522
This was after the Allen Rd intersection where the trail opens up to almost a two lane (double track) trail. They were doing some prescribed burning today as well. The forest smelled amazing.

View attachment 142523View attachment 142524
Pinelands Brewing Co. and the cream ale.
Can’t wait to get out there. I am seriously contemplating bringing the trailer for practice. Those larger holes you mention may cause some trouble but I will never know what I can do until I try. Would you mind if we brought it?

Are there any good campsites near the end of the run, if the weather is decent we might stay out overnight.

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Can’t wait to get out there. I am seriously contemplating bringing the trailer for practice. Those larger holes you mention may cause some trouble but I will never know what I can do until I try. Would you mind if we brought it?

Are there any good campsites near the end of the run, if the weather is decent we might stay out overnight.
Bring the trailer. I was actually debating camping out after the trail ride as long as the weather is fine. Having a ground tent, it’s not much fun camping in the rain and then packing up a wet tent in the morning lol.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

@Xplorr313 ...thank you for pre-running the trail! I pray we can all get along as it seems the thread went sideways. My equipment & my knowledge is at anyone's disposal.
"Here if you need us"....a servant attitude

RastaPasta

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Williamstown, NJ
First Name
Ross
Last Name
B
Member #

@Xplorr313 thanks for the scouting! For the holes that don't have any go-arounds, think it will be an issue for those of us who are stock height without snorkels?

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
@Xplorr313 thanks for the scouting! For the holes that don't have any go-arounds, think it will be an issue for those of us who are stock height without snorkels?
You’ll be fine as long as we don’t get a crazy amount of rain between now and then. There was one spot that didn’t have any water in it but you could see how deep the hole would have been if it was full of water. This hole would have been over my hood and up to my windshield, and I’m lifted 2.5” with 34s. Lol