Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I passed the test for my Technician license Saturday . I have to wait for the FCC to post my call sign before I can transmit, but I got it done!
I have a Baofeng uv5r to get started, I have a magnetic mount antenna and a car power cable. I know it's not ideal but it's a start.
I have a CB as well so I feel like I'm getting comm's sorted.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I passed the test for my Technician license Saturday . I have to wait for the FCC to post my call sign before I can transmit, but I got it done!
I have a Baofeng uv5r to get started, I have a magnetic mount antenna and a car power cable. I know it's not ideal but it's a start.
Congratulations. Your call sign will be here before you know it.

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Congrats Down.45!

Maybe you can can share with the other OB members who think the test is hard and too much studying...how long did you actually study for and how was the test?

Good job! Now start studying for your General License.

Ed- N6LRC

Reactions: Dusther210

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
First steps into HAM. Welcome. If you are just using the short whip that came with your baofeng, consider adding a nagoya flexible whip. May not be the best for in vehicle. Longer and thinner. But a serious improvement of range and clarity. There is also a telescoping version. I have both.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
4LWarrior, I got started during the time of the pandemic when things were pretty locked down, I got a study book and read it , and an app for my phone to take practice tests. I studied on and off for a month or 2, not too seriously, then I got busy and didn't think about it much.
A few weeks ago I decided to follow through and in order to not procrastinate indefinitely , I scheduled the test. I re read the summary pages of the book, took a few more practice tests and passed on my first try. The practice test on the app were what really gave me the confidence . It's not a hard test, at least half of the questions were things I know from life.
This is the book I have
tempImageW6tgcN.png

Tengu10, I already have the Nagoya antenna , much better than what came with it. I found a guy on you tube " not a rubicon production" that is a wealth of Knowledge re the uv5r
I think I'll probably get a mobile radio to permanently install in my 4runner eventually , but this is the first step.
I have also found Hams to be very friendly and helpful.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I sarted with a Baofeng as well. I bought one when I passed my test in 2013. Honestly, I still have the UV5R today and it still works just fine. Congratulations on passing your test!

Reactions: Overlanding Lawyer

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Congratulations on passing the test. de KG4BCN

Reactions: Overlanding Lawyer

Eddy G

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Guyton, GA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN3DDY
Congrats!!! You just opened up a whole new world. Amature Radio has many things you can get into with just a Tech license, like D-star ( talk round the world without a General or Extra license), APRS, and much more. Get involved with a ARES (Ameture Radio Emergency Service) group near you.

Eddy, de KN3DDY

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
Congratulations from K1EOD, keep growing, lots of great gently used equipment. Get a radio for your rig, join or support your local repeater club, keep learning, 73’s and see you on the trail.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
CONGRATULATIONS on passing your Technician exam!!!

Are you planning to upgrade to General next?

Find a club near you that does stuff you're interested in and visit a couple of meetings.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Nice!
Congrats!

cigarsnjeeps

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Smithville, TX, USA
First Name
Kerry
Last Name
Phillips
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5KDP
Congrats! It's always a relief to get it under your belt. Its not as hard as people think.

If I can offer a few suggestions to those considering your license. I used the Audible version of Fast Track to your Technicians (and General) License. It helped me to listen to someone describe things. And then go to hamstudy.org (or get the app) and you can study and take practice tests which helps alot. Good luck W5KDP

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Congratulations. I just recently passed my exam as well. I have been so busy with various other aspects of life that I haven't been able to do anything radio related so I've pretty much forgot everything I learned. Ha ha

I'm starting to learn again though and I also got my gmrs license today. I started with two baofeng bf-f8hp radios and I ordered the UV-5G (I think is the number). It's the gmrs version of the uv-5r. Good luck to anyone else working on their license!

Reactions: Willys Yella Jeep