Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
As much as I hoped this would be a great tool when camping i am having a tough time trying to figure out how to get food not to stick. And ive oiled and butter and etc.. before cooking and it fails. Makes it hard to use over a few days with a hot boil and steel wool to clean it. Is there a secret to cooking on this thing?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Caligirlnic

Have you tried Green Onions and oil to season the griddle? Worked a champ on my folks All Clad steel pans.

Each seasoning seams to last about 2-3 weeks

Boort

Reactions: SubeeBen

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

@Caligirlnic

Have you tried Green Onions and oil to season the griddle? Worked a champ on my folks All Clad steel pans.

Each seasoning seams to last about 2-3 weeks

Boort
The Partner Steel griddle is "anodized aluminum" according to the Partner Steel website. https://partnersteel.com/on-the-grill Not sure if that method works for aluminum. Maybe it does.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

The Partner Steel griddle is "anodized aluminum" according to the Partner Steel website. https://partnersteel.com/on-the-grill Not sure if that method works for aluminum. Maybe it does.
AAH I thought they did Stainless. You'd be right, If it's Aluminum I don't think it will work since the non-stick is a reaction between a chemical in the onion stalks and the iron in the steel. For Aluminum I think the best option is to heat a dry Griddle on high for 1-2 mins, then turn it down to Med High, add the cold Fat (Butter, Canola Oil, etc) and start cooking.

Boort

Reactions: Road

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

AAH I thought they did Stainless. You'd be right, If it's Aluminum I don't think it will work since the non-stick is a reaction between a chemical in the onion stalks and the iron in the steel. For Aluminum I think the best option is to heat a dry Griddle on high for 1-2 mins, then turn it down to Med High, add the cold Fat (Butter, Canola Oil, etc) and start cooking.

Boort
Ha yeah youd think so seeing as the company name is Partner Steel. Interestingly enough the only part of my 22" Partner Steel stove that is steel is the grate and burners. I have heard many good reviews of the Partner griddle though. I do not own one as of yet.

Reactions: Road and Boort

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I’ve heard of the green onion method for stainless steel. Might just give it a shot anyways. The griddle is pretty heavy for aluminum but I think the sides are steel. I know that @lifestyleoverland uses it religiously and it looked so easy.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have the Partner 22x12 griddle for my Partner 22 Stove and use it a lot. I mean a lot, as I usually go out for months at a time. I use it for steak, ground meats like burgers and sausage, veggies like onions, asparagus, and potatoes, and for grilling/toasting muffins and bread. A lot of easy-over eggs and scrambles, too.

I haven't had problems with sticking and wonder if, like @Boort suggested, it's because I always let my griddle warm up while I'm preparing my food.

I use virgin olive oil a lot when cooking over lower temps. Some, not all, olive oils are quicker to burn and smoke than regular vegetable oil because they have a lower smoking point. Unrefined canola oil is even worse and can cause a lot of burning/scorching. I also use a lot of saved bacon grease for certain things, and a lot of butter. I rarely crank up my heat way high for certain oils or butter and will often turn one of my Vollrath aluminum sauté pans upside down over whatever I'm cooking to help cook through trapped heat and moisture 'cause I'm always cooking outside.

I know you asked about cooking, not cleaning, though I think cleaning a griddle right is a big part of it cooking right. I never use coarse or harsh steel wool that might scratch my aluminum. Maybe softer brillo pads would work well, dunno, but having a surface that is scratched up is going to make food stick more than if your surface is smooth and seasoned. I never have to boil my griddle or pans or boil water to pour on them to get 'em clean.

Best way I've found to clean my griddle and sauté pans is to not let anything stay in the pan and dry after cooking. I turn a regular metal spatula over and clean up whatever is left from cooking while the surface is still warm, add enough water to just cover the surface, add a drop or two of biodegradable dish soap, and leave it over lowest heat possible while I eat. If the griddle was pretty hot, just let it warm the water and turn your propane off.

When I'm done with my meal, it's always been an easy task to drain the water and use a green 3m sponge to wipe it clean. Sometimes it reduces the water enough you can wipe it out with a paper towel. Every once in a while I'll use a red 3m scuff pad, which is a little more coarse, but I still never use metal scrubbies on my aluminum. Both griddle and sauté pans stay clean and smooth this way.

When basecamping backcountry I keep a 5gal bucket with a snap on lid for slop water that has too many food particles in it, instead of dumping it and potentially attracting critters or contaminating ground water.

Hope you get it figured out. I love my Partner griddle.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for that well thought out post. I have a Partner Steel stove on the way as part of a kitchen/sleep/drawer system for the back of my 4Runner and had debated getting their griddle. I think you sold me!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks for that well thought out post. I have a Partner Steel stove on the way as part of a kitchen/sleep/drawer system for the back of my 4Runner and had debated getting their griddle. I think you sold me!

You'll enjoy it. Treat that griddle right, and you'll have it for life. It's one thing, along with my favorite ax, I never loan out. You can finesse the heat so you have spots for hot cooking and spots for keeping already cooked food warm.

If you get the 22x12 griddle (their medium, I think) for the 22" two-burner you'll find the handles stick out just enough to prevent your side wings from always going in far as you might like. Not a real problem, though. I keep a couple clips (or elastics or whatever I have around that works) in my chuckbox to put on the side wing wires as keepers.

@Caligirlnic @AZ WANDERING BEAR and anyone else who likes to use, or is thinking about getting, anodized aluminum cookware, here's a good article on proper care and seasoning . I would add, too, to not heat it too hot too fast with the oil. It'll smoke too soon and you want it to open up and absorb what oil it can.

If you've burned food onto your griddle before seasoning, that same site has a piece on how to remove carbon build-up from aluminum cookware. After you get it clean, season it with oil again. You shouldn't have to use steel wool on it after that.

Last edited:

richardalan1975

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Wright
Member #

How hot does the bottom of this stove get? What does the MFG suggest sitting it on? Scouring for the manual online now.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

How hot does the bottom of this stove get? What does the MFG suggest sitting it on? Scouring for the manual online now.

The bottom of the Partner 22? I don't know that I've ever seen the mfg ever suggest what to sit it on. It's just common sense, really. It's no different than a Coleman or Camp Chef stove in that regard.

I keep mine full time, for both storing and cooking, in my HD plastic camp kitchen and haven't had any problems with bottom heat affecting anything. There are side holes that allow for heat to escape. They do warn, or I've seen somewhere, against covering the grill completely with the griddle. Leave some space in back or front for excess heat to escape.

I haven't had any problems with mine being too hot on the bottom for my camp kitchen. Here's an image of back when it was new, two years ago, tailgating. I've had it in the same box for over 450 nights out on the road since then, using it regularly for all kinds of cooking in all kinds of environments.

stove-chuckbog-case_0646-900.jpg

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

The bottom of the Partner 22? I don't know that I've ever seen the mfg ever suggest what to sit it on. It's just common sense, really. It's no different than a Coleman or Camp Chef stove in that regard.

I keep mine full time, for both storing and cooking, in my HD plastic camp kitchen and haven't had any problems with bottom heat affecting anything. There are side holes that allow for heat to escape. They do warn, or I've seen somewhere, against covering the grill completely with the griddle. Leave some space in back or front for excess heat to escape.

I haven't had any problems with mine being too hot on the bottom for my camp kitchen. Here's an image of back when it was new, two years ago, tailgating. I've had it in the same box for over 450 nights out o nthe road since then, using it regularly for all kinds of cooking.

View attachment 106623
Nice setup. Got a link to that HD plastic camp kitchen by chance?

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Nice setup. Got a link to that HD plastic camp kitchen by chance?

Thanks, and not to bogart the original intention of this thread, about the Partner griddles, but the chuckbox is made by Beaver Tree in WI, called a Camp Kitchen and there's only one place sells them, that I know of, for around $199 last I heard. I'm sure you can google it from there, as I'd have to do if looking it up for you. Quite rare to see a used one up for sale, they're so handy and useful, though that's how I found mine.

Reactions: bmwguru

GeraldVanDance

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Thinking about getting one to go with my Partner Steel 22 stove. Did you get this sorted, or go with something else?