Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We are going to go to Palo Duro mid day this Thursday June 13. Just going to check it our and wondered if there is a local OB member with some knowledge of the area that might want to be a tour guide. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Btrevino195

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The Jeep trials in Palo Duro are private property and only open for special events such as the Jeep Jamboree.
I have come across a post on another website that recommends a nice route on county roads.

Here is the text from the post that I used to map the route on Gaia: http://www.find-off-road-trails.com/palo-duro-canyon-jeepoffroad-trails.html
"I may be a little late on this, but hopefully the next time you're up here, you can experience this little known "trail" (it's all county roads, but they're not the most well kept) through Palo Duro Canyon. Since you'll be coming from DFW (assuming you're coming up US 287), I'll give you directions to start at the south end of the trail. When you reach Clarendon, turn left (SW) on to FM 2162 (AKA Koogle St.,) Which will be the stoplight between the Trading Post and Allsups. Take 2162 all the way down to CO RD X. This is essentially the start of the "trail". Just follow the road. There are many side roads, but explore at your own risk, all of the surrounding land is private ranch land. That being said keep an eye out for cattle. You will cross several cattle guards, but don't worry, as long as you stay on the main road, you'll be okay.
You'll come up to a ranch house, Slow down as you travel through this section as there are children that live there. Drive over their cattle guard, and into their fenced property (remember you're still on the CO RD.) At this point you will make a Right hand turn (N) on to what becomes CO RD 25. Just follow the road back up out of the canyon. It will eventually Lead to CO RD 21, Which will take you out to FM 2272 (AKA Romeo Rd). Follow this road to the west, and it will Lead you out to TX 207. To get back to US 287, simply follow 207 north, and it will meet up with 287 on the west end of Claude, right next to the Cefco.

I hope this is something along the lines you're looking for. I have made this drive many times, in both directions and have never had a problem with anyone down there, just with cattle blocking the road. ;) "

My route based on above text:

Reactions: Btrevino195

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The Jeep trials in Palo Duro are private property and only open for special events such as the Jeep Jamboree.
I have come across a post on another website that recommends a nice route on county roads.

Here is the text from the post that I used to map the route on Gaia: http://www.find-off-road-trails.com/palo-duro-canyon-jeepoffroad-trails.html
"I may be a little late on this, but hopefully the next time you're up here, you can experience this little known "trail" (it's all county roads, but they're not the most well kept) through Palo Duro Canyon. Since you'll be coming from DFW (assuming you're coming up US 287), I'll give you directions to start at the south end of the trail. When you reach Clarendon, turn left (SW) on to FM 2162 (AKA Koogle St.,) Which will be the stoplight between the Trading Post and Allsups. Take 2162 all the way down to CO RD X. This is essentially the start of the "trail". Just follow the road. There are many side roads, but explore at your own risk, all of the surrounding land is private ranch land. That being said keep an eye out for cattle. You will cross several cattle guards, but don't worry, as long as you stay on the main road, you'll be okay.
You'll come up to a ranch house, Slow down as you travel through this section as there are children that live there. Drive over their cattle guard, and into their fenced property (remember you're still on the CO RD.) At this point you will make a Right hand turn (N) on to what becomes CO RD 25. Just follow the road back up out of the canyon. It will eventually Lead to CO RD 21, Which will take you out to FM 2272 (AKA Romeo Rd). Follow this road to the west, and it will Lead you out to TX 207. To get back to US 287, simply follow 207 north, and it will meet up with 287 on the west end of Claude, right next to the Cefco.

I hope this is something along the lines you're looking for. I have made this drive many times, in both directions and have never had a problem with anyone down there, just with cattle blocking the road. ;) "

Thanks Jon, and thanks for helping with the DFW coordination

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Go noth a little ways to canadian river there is an off road park thats the only place i know that way, supposedly you can offroad somewhere on prarie dog town fork red river somewhere between palo duro and oklahoma according to txpw ride texas website

35°28'07.4"N 101°52'51.5"W
River Road Independent School District, TX

Reactions: Kent R

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas

Here is the text from the post that I used to map the route on Gaia: Palo Duro Canyon Jeep/Offroad Trails?

Thread Title says "Palo Duro State Park", which is open to the public and different from where the Jeep Jamborees are. Does OP want info on PDSP or something else?

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Go noth a little ways to canadian river there is an off road park thats the only place i know that way, supposedly you can offroad somewhere on prarie dog town fork red river somewhere between palo duro and oklahoma according to txpw ride texas website

35°28'07.4"N 101°52'51.5"W
River Road Independent School District, TX
I've read you need a Texas OHV pass/decal/sticker for the trails on the Canadian river. True? No?

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thread Title says "Palo Duro State Park", which is open to the public and different from where the Jeep Jamborees are. Does OP want info on PDSP or something else?
I suppose he could want a hiking guide...but I took a shot that he may want something vehicular related. I could be wrong, happens often, just ask my wife.

Btrevino195

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Trevino
Member #

Here is the text from the post that I used to map the route on Gaia: Palo Duro Canyon Jeep/Offroad Trails?

Might go try this little route out myself this weekend!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Aaron Parker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Stem, NC
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
A few weeks out my wife and I will be around Palo Duro Canyon... Similar to the start of this post, was wondering if anyone has been there and would like to suggest what the best sights are in the park? My wife can't hike far, due to health issues... so hoping to get the best spots, rather than spend too much time walking around finding them.

Looking online so far seems to just have random pictures, and names with no way to know what that thing is or if it's worth checking out. :\ Hope some boots on the ground could help get us to the best spots. :)

Thanks!