Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Our 2017 Winnebago Drop 170S was stolen. Two days ago we get a call from our campground in Wears Valley Tennessee telling us our Winnie was scarfed by some dirtbag hillbillies. Just finished a 6 month prep job to get it ready for our Alaska trip this summer...well if Canada reopens. Anyway, we start all over I guess. Wife says he!! no we ain't taking your RTT trailer, don't even go there. Sigh, how does she read my mind like that?
Winnie fireside.JPG

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Insured to what I paid but these things have doubled in price in 36 months. Thus the real problem.
Very sorry to hear about this, BE. COVID hysteria has indeed raised the price of travel trailers as everyone wants to get away from everyone else in relative comfort.

I hope it was insured, yes, but I also would like to know if the campground was insured...? Seems to me they have some oweness here, just as any storage facility would. As long as I lock it up, its thier responsibility to keep thier perimeter secure.

Maybe between your insurance and theirs, you can get another one

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
My insurance company is contacting the campground to do what you suggested

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Dang that sucks! Hate the fact that folks have such little concern and care for others that they take their hard earned stuff!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
There's no penalties for it. So why not?

Op: Sorry for your troubles. Your insurance can talk to their insurance. But there is no such thing as secure campgrounds. I could steal that if it was parked at the sheriffs office.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
If you own a trailer, you should consider investing in one of these trailer locks. I have the first one, but would buy the 2nd if I had to do it all over again.

AMPLOCK

Proven Industries

Also before buying any lock, you should do a search on You Tube for Bosnian Bill or The Lock Picking Lawyer channels to see if the lock is any good.

Reactions: Desert Runner

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd just haul it off by the safety chains. If you wind them up tight over and through the gusset on my pintel hitch, it'll be noisy, but easy peasy.

Wheel boot chock things don't work either.

Removing the entire hitch assembly (rare option on rv's, but nearly all pro trailers have the hitch bolted on with adjustable height), and removing the safety chains is your best bet. But useless as well. Because there isn't a truck in the US without chains of some sort, onboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: GXExplorer

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yes, yes, we get it. Anything can be stolen and so on. Doesnt mean you give up and dont harden the target. Unless they specifically want YOUR stuff, maybe the thief moves on to the next one

Reactions: DMS1

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I'd just haul it off by the safety chains. If you wind them up tight over and through the gusset on my pintel hitch, it'll be noisy, but easy peasy.

Wheel boot chock things don't work either.

Removing the entire hitch assembly (rare option on rv's, but nearly all pro trailers have the hitch bolted on with adjustable height), and removing the safety chains is your best bet. But useless as well. Because there isn't a truck in the US without chains of some sort, onboard.
With the proven lock, the chains go inside the tube.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I used to get contracted by a cell company to fix and move their BS broken trailers everywhere. Half the time one of their techs had them all locked up in weird ways. And with huge employee turn over, I had to get creative chopping all that junk off. It gave them plausible deniability, because none of those things where close to street legal.

Missing hitch, tires, etc. etc. were always the biggest problems keeping me from hauling them off.

The wood blocks that go between dual axle tires, with the bolt the makes them tight, seriously locks a trailer in place. A bit of a pita to defeat as well.

My favorite game was ''wheel boot or fender''. See which one ripped off first. Usually the boot augers into the earth and gets ripped off. On pavement though, it's nearly 50/50 odds.

Last edited: