Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Paddy Mountain driveable trail is located in Bald Eagle State Forest. It is an easy, basically downhill fire access road. Most of the trail can be characterized as a water run-off for the mountain. But it is gradual. No steep sections. 4wd is advisable but not necessary. The day I drove the trail I looped back to a campsite near the trailhead and a club of 9 jeeps drove by a little later. So I suspect this trail is frequently traveled. The entire trail and loop back around to the site took less than 2 hours. There are campsites nearby available by calling the park office and getting a permit.20171021_110450.jpg 20171022_093229.jpg

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I love playing around in Bald Eagle State Forest and typically run Paddy Mountain East to West so it’s up hill through that silly long, nothing but rocks section. I have Gaia tracks all over that place.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

I love playing around in Bald Eagle State Forest and typically run Paddy Mountain East to West so it’s up hill through that silly long, nothing but rocks section. I have Gaia tracks all over that place.
This was my first time up to Bald Eagle State Forest. Picked Paddy Mtn because it was close to my campsite for the night. I don't think the trail was marked from the other side but it would be much more interesting in the other direction. I'm hoping to get there again next year to keep exploring.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hey Wawa if you havent yet you really should comment on this thread...
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/the-meaning-of-your-screen-name.1296/

I would love to read that. lol
Hahaha! I can honestly say I’ve already posted it there. It’s a 1st gen iPhone autocorrect goof up that I’ve long since taken on. It was originally a way to exist online in relative anonymity (I also used to use Turd Ferguson from SNL) but this one stuck.

This was my first time up to Bald Eagle State Forest. Picked Paddy Mtn because it was close to my campsite for the night. I don't think the trail was marked from the other side but it would be much more interesting in the other direction. I'm hoping to get there again next year to keep exploring.
Do you use Gaia or any other navigation app? I use Gaia and would be happy to share some routes.

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Hahaha! I can honestly say I’ve already posted it there. It’s a 1st gen iPhone autocorrect goof up that I’ve long since taken on. It was originally a way to exist online in relative anonymity (I also used to use Turd Ferguson from SNL) but this one stuck.

Do you use Gaia or any other navigation app? I use Gaia and would be happy to share some routes.
I have been experimenting with the free version of backcountry navigator. But so many people use gaia I was thinking of trying it out. When you head up to bald eagle do you typically go in a group or are most of the trails gentle enough to go solo?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have been experimenting with the free version of backcountry navigator. But so many people use gaia I was thinking of trying it out. When you head up to bald eagle do you typically go in a group or are most of the trails gentle enough to go solo?
I’ve done solo, small, and large group but I don’t have any qualms about going there alone most of the year. Winter is the exception because there are a ton of water holes. Punching through the ice the first time is one thing but then it refreezes jagged and it just keeps getting worse. I won’t do some trails in winter because of that.

Me leading 22 off road Subaru’s on Pine Creek Road. The more challenging route I planned for the group just that day was 95 miles.

56443B01-6CE6-490A-BCB9-29742A1313E9.jpeg

Exploring solo on Red Ridge Road. Paint took a beating that day/night haha. One of the nice thing about BESF is all the scenic overlooks. It’s a beautiful place and I didn’t see another vehicle that day until I was airing back up.

228D1AA8-4705-425C-B5F6-13FDDF19FF1E.jpeg

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

I’ve done solo, small, and large group but I don’t have any qualms about going there alone most of the year. Winter is the exception because there are a ton of water holes. Punching through the ice the first time is one thing but then it refreezes jagged and it just keeps getting worse. I won’t do some trails in winter because of that.

Me leading 22 off road Subaru’s on Pine Creek Road. The more challenging route I planned for the group just that day was 95 miles.

View attachment 42180

Exploring solo on Red Ridge Road. Paint took a beating that day/night haha. One of the nice thing about BESF is all the scenic overlooks. It’s a beautiful place and I didn’t see another vehicle that day until I was airing back up.

View attachment 42181
Great shots! That 95 mile day sounds ambitious! But like a blast. I'm definitely going to explore next season. I don't get out as often as I'd like, work, and I'm very new to the community. So no buddies to run with yet. I don't think I'd run anything solo during the winter just yet. Not until I get more familiar and have the experience.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Great shots! That 95 mile day sounds ambitious! But like a blast. I'm definitely going to explore next season. I don't get out as often as I'd like, work, and I'm very new to the community. So no buddies to run with yet. I don't think I'd run anything solo during the winter just yet. Not until I get more familiar and have the experience.
Yeah it was a busy day and then there was Sunday haha. Picking a starting point, timing the lunch stop so the 2 groups would be at the same place same time, and keeping it interesting for everyone regardless of mod level was a challenge.

I hear you about work and other adulting responsibilities. If you ever want to go for a drive just let me know. I know people who are always down for a drive in the woods.

Reactions: Rocksylvania

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Hey Wawa, I got a new tablet that's compatible with Gaia. If you're still willing to share some tracks I'm interested in checking them out.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hey Wawa, I got a new tablet that's compatible with Gaia. If you're still willing to share some tracks I'm interested in checking them out.
Absolutely. Give me your email address here or on DM if you want and I’ll send you some links.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Paddy Mountain driveable trail is located in Bald Eagle State Forest. It is an easy, basically downhill fire access road. Most of the trail can be characterized as a water run-off for the mountain. But it is gradual. No steep sections. 4wd is advisable but not necessary. The day I drove the trail I looped back to a campsite near the trailhead and a club of 9 jeeps drove by a little later. So I suspect this trail is frequently traveled. The entire trail and loop back around to the site took less than 2 hours. There are campsites nearby available by calling the park office and getting a permit.View attachment 39051 View attachment 39053
I would like to take my forester up here in the next couple weeks is the trail head to his loop easy to find and access?

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

I would like to take my forester up here in the next couple weeks is the trail head to his loop easy to find and access?
I planned it as the middle of my route that day so I intentionally took a long way there after meandering through the Forest. To see a direct route I had to check my Purple Lizard map of Bald Eagle State Forest. Highly recommend Purple Lizard btw. If you're coming in off 45 it's Woodward Gap Road and then a left on Paddy Mountain. Gravel turns to trail and you'll see the trailhead sign.

Reactions: GratefulFozzie

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I planned it as the middle of my route that day so I intentionally took a long way there after meandering through the Forest. To see a direct route I had to check my Purple Lizard map of Bald Eagle State Forest. Highly recommend Purple Lizard btw. If you're coming in off 45 it's Woodward Gap Road and then a left on Paddy Mountain. Gravel turns to trail and you'll see the trailhead sign.
Have you been back to check out the routes I sent? Just curious if they worked out for you.

I was going to order the purple lizard map. Thanks. Can you camp in the forest or do they have designated sites
There are some random 'campsites' around BESF but they do have designated primitive dispersed sites. There are a few campgrounds as well.

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Have you been back to check out the routes I sent? Just curious if they worked out for you.

There are some random 'campsites' around BESF but they do have designated primitive dispersed sites. There are a few campgrounds as well.
Unfortunately I have not made it back. My rig went in for some custom armor in May and it turned into needing a new frame. Just got it back to my buddy's shop last week. Hopefully I'll have it back by end of september.
I was going to order the purple lizard map. Thanks. Can you camp in the forest or do they have designated sites
The primitive sites are primarily for backpackers. The actual campsites require permits. If you call the park office they'll mail you a map of the sites so you can pick.

Reactions: GratefulFozzie

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Unfortunately I have not made it back. My rig went in for some custom armor in May and it turned into needing a new frame. Just got it back to my buddy's shop last week. Hopefully I'll have it back by end of september.

The primitive sites are primarily for backpackers. The actual campsites require permits. If you call the park office they'll mail you a map of the sites so you can pick.
Cool thanks allot for the info

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Bummer about the rust. When you get your vehicle back, maybe we can get us pa guys together before winter comes

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Sorry to hear that but glad you'll have it back on the road before too long.

What they deem primitive/dispersed requires a visit to the ranger station as well. Those sites accommodate vehicles just fine as the last time I used one there were 4 vehicles. I prefer them over the available campgrounds but I could see complications with some of them if you wanted to use an RTT. The random sites I was referring to are unsanctioned ones that regular people made and continue to use.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Sorry to hear that but glad you'll have it back on the road before too long.

What they deem primitive/dispersed requires a visit to the ranger station as well. Those sites accommodate vehicles just fine as the last time I used one there were 4 vehicles. I prefer them over the available campgrounds but I could see complications with some of them if you wanted to use an RTT. The random sites I was referring to are unsanctioned ones that regular people made and continue to use.
I use a ground tent or will sleep in back of vehicle. Depending if I’m alone or one of the kids is with me.