Paddle Boarding

• HTML tutorial

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
A couple years ago we rented a couple paddleboards while visiting Friso Colorado. They were roughly $30/hr. But we had a blast

Found this company online called Isle Surf and Sup. We picked up the inflatables and immediately fell in love. These things weight 25 lbs, support over 250lbs per Board and just overall amazing.

Anyone else out there paddle board? So much fun to just go out on a lake and relax for a few hours with nothing between you and the lake but a few inches of rubber. Love it!!

Attachments

Reactions: Rover7284

villaphoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Campbell
Member #

I love SUP'ing eventually I'll grab one. My friends have a few from Red Paddle Co. that I've considered getting.

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
I have been several times but haven't made the leap to buying yet. It is a blast.

Any suggestions on a board that can carry two kids as well? I have a 4, 4, and 3 year old. Wife will take one too :tonguewink:
I have only dealt with Isle but depending on your weight you would be good with their inflatables. We can safely put myself (180lbs) our nine year old and our lab on one. They also make one called the Megladon. It can hold 6 adults and is inflatable. Pretty amazing. If you love near water and will be out all the time I would suggest a hard board but if you travel with it a. Lot def go inflatable. It takes 10 min on average to manually pump but we also bought the electric pump and it pumps in like 2-3 min. Www.islesurfandsup.com
Free shipping is also nice with them for such a large item

Reactions: ChuckB

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

We have a hard board. Really enjoy it, cool being up above the water. Have to figure out transport now with the new RTT up top... might end up with an inflatable.
Anyone carry a hard board (SUP or surf) on top of a RTT?

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

I've been surfing my my whole life. Long boards, short boards, paddle boards and love it all!
Several things to consider:
1: storage space. If you live in an apt. It's going to be tough to store a hard board (although ceiling racks are a nice option). Consider an inflatable.
2. Where will you use it? Lake, river, calm ocean, or in the surf?
Different boards are suited to different conditions. From what I read most of you could get by with an all around board or inflatable. However the open ocean and waves my preference would be for a hard board.
3: expected weight. If it's your first board get one with more volume. This will float & cruise better.
4. Young kids consider a foam board option. This way when they ding the board you won't be as heart broken if it were a epoxy or resin & glass board.

Check out these links:
http://blueplanetsurf.com/best-sup-standup-paddle-board-2/

https://www.islesurfandsup.com/5-things-you-need-to-know-before-buying-a-sup/

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckB

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

I bought a paddle board recently (tied to roof rack in photo) mostly because my daughter loves it. But I'll jump on it too. If there's water where we're going I'll bring it. Thinking about a kayak too as I'm 6'6" and am a little top heavy balancing on a board. My daughter makes it look so easy!

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
I am looking at getting an inflatable. Either Isle Explorer 11' or Bote Drift. I will be taking it overloading with me.

Reactions: Kaimana

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

I have been several times but haven't made the leap to buying yet. It is a blast.

Any suggestions on a board that can carry two kids as well? I have a 4, 4, and 3 year old. Wife will take one too :tonguewink:
Look for a board that is a "Touring" model. They are usually longer and wider, so they are more stable and can carry more weight. My wife and I both use boards made by Pau Hana. Mine is the Endurance, it is 15' long and can carry an additional 130lbs along with myself. We carry ours on the roof of the jeep most of the time, but also use a modified jet ski trailer that allows us to back right into the water with them as well as bring along our extra kayak.
20170701_135739.jpg 20170716_145601.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I see this is an old thread...we just got back from Arkansas yesterday and while at a lake, rented a kayak and paddle board. My first time on either and I really enjoyed both. I did order an ocean kayak and now I'm looking for a paddle board. The one we rented was very heavy and huge, I see there are inflatable models that are very popular. Does anyone have an opinion on whether to get a rigid or inflatable board? Storage and transport is not a problem, so I am looking based on performance and durability. I saw an Xterra model that looked good, was 10' long and around $400...

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

I see this is an old thread...we just got back from Arkansas yesterday and while at a lake, rented a kayak and paddle board. My first time on either and I really enjoyed both. I did order an ocean kayak and now I'm looking for a paddle board. The one we rented was very heavy and huge, I see there are inflatable models that are very popular. Does anyone have an opinion on whether to get a rigid or inflatable board? Storage and transport is not a problem, so I am looking based on performance and durability. I saw an Xterra model that looked good, was 10' long and around $400...
Solid vs inflatable depends on the intended use. Personally I hate the feel of an inflatable under my feet, too much flex. If I’m using the board for surf or touring on the ocean I’m a solid board all the way. If the intended use is for lakes and maybe some gentle rivers, I could and would use an inflatable.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Solid vs inflatable depends on the intended use. Personally I hate the feel of an inflatable under my feet, too much flex. If I’m using the board for surf or touring on the ocean I’m a solid board all the way. If the intended use is for lakes and maybe some gentle rivers, I could and would use an inflatable.
Yes, rivers and lakes. Sounds like an inflatable is what we'll start off with then. I'm sure we will learn more as we go, but I just didn't want to start with an inflatable if they were total garbage. Appreciate the feedback!

Caliber1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Los Alamitos CA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Mejia
Member #

I have been paddle boarding for a few years and go twice a week in and around Huntington Harbor..