Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I was able to turn over the engine and all accessories by hand. The fluids all look good and it doesn’t have very much rust.
When you get it pulled out take an ice pick to the frame. Make sure the frame and arms that hold the body off the frame are SOLID. Box frames can rust from the inside where they look OK but crumble when you start torquing on them.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I have decided to see if I can bring a 1997 Range Rover back to road worthy condition. It has been sitting for about 10 years. View attachment 121276
Awesome! I've got a 2001 Range Rover (same model) for my rig and love it! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or tag me in the forums.

I look forward to what you do with this build. So much potential.

Reactions: systemdelete

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

P38As are neat rigs. You'll get a lot of 'hate' about the reliability, especially the old Buick-derived V8. Heck, I even mentioned that in another thread about rig suggestions. Still, they can be had for a song (or it seems free in your case) and can be fun and relatively reliable if you are willing to put in the work and know what to look into. I imagine you already know this, but do NOT let that motor get hot. A good aftermarket gauge or an OBD scanner so you can watch real temps (not the dash gauge) is a key to long-life for that 4.6. The air suspension will fail, but good old coil-spring replacements are affordable and very functional. The biggest nightmare is usually HVAC-related. It's a big job getting the dash apart and fixing things, but it can be done. I haven't looked into that stuff in years, but I imagine somebody is making and/or refurbishing parts for them.

-TJ

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
This truck had the suspension replaced with coils and new shocks about a year before being parked. Hopefully they are still useable. I am not afraid to pull things apart if needed. Have completely stripped bodies and frames on some rigs over the years. Although I used to have more spare time than I do now. I usually build Toyota’s or Nissan’s but this rig has been drawing my attention lately.

Contributor I

London
First Name
Panagiotis
Last Name
Makris
P38s are wonderful cars, most of their issues are a derivative of the previous negligence and abuse. They are quite easy to work on (get the RAVE manual!) and plenty of forums groups and video tutorials online (facebook groups, land rover - range rover pages etc)
There is a big market for parts (UK and US or worldwide) and they perform really well on and off-road, modified or unmodified.
Personally i own one and i am modifying it or working on it on a daily basis, its my off-roader, my overlander-camper and daily city ride also.
Its a very addictive hobby to own one,
EAS (air suspension) is really good and easy to maintain or service, but as mentioned above coil conversion kits are plenty out there.
Personally i am still on airbags, which allows me to control the height ride based on the conditions, (i can lower it to bump stops in ordr to go under obstacles while offroading.....
Plenty of space within the cabin for modifications and sleeping space and very rugged and "rustproof" on the undercarriage.

Get a good diagnostics tool, the RAVE manual and a big wallet and go fo it, You can make it last forever.

Always check scrap yards too!!!!

Good luck any help needed please give me a shout and i will try to help with my limited knowledge (i am learning from trying and making mistakes)

GO FOR IT!
72589228_10156993324139576_3057440196996890624_n.jpg

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
P38s are wonderful cars, most of their issues are a derivative of the previous negligence and abuse. They are quite easy to work on (get the RAVE manual!) and plenty of forums groups and video tutorials online (facebook groups, land rover - range rover pages etc)
There is a big market for parts (UK and US or worldwide) and they perform really well on and off-road, modified or unmodified.
Personally i own one and i am modifying it or working on it on a daily basis, its my off-roader, my overlander-camper and daily city ride also.
Its a very addictive hobby to own one,
EAS (air suspension) is really good and easy to maintain or service, but as mentioned above coil conversion kits are plenty out there.
Personally i am still on airbags, which allows me to control the height ride based on the conditions, (i can lower it to bump stops in ordr to go under obstacles while offroading.....
Plenty of space within the cabin for modifications and sleeping space and very rugged and "rustproof" on the undercarriage.

Get a good diagnostics tool, the RAVE manual and a big wallet and go fo it, You can make it last forever.

Always check scrap yards too!!!!

Good luck any help needed please give me a shout and i will try to help with my limited knowledge (i am learning from trying and making mistakes)

GO FOR IT!
View attachment 126150
Thanks for the info. I am thinking that the owner is questioning on selling it to me. He also has an almost mint classic Range Rover, and a really nice FJ60.

Contributor I

London
First Name
Panagiotis
Last Name
Makris
Thanks for the info. I am thinking that the owner is questioning on selling it to me. He also has an almost mint classic Range Rover, and a really nice FJ60.
Hi again,

Ok RR Classic is a very mechanical vehicle due to his age if you are good with mechanical staff and DIY....go for it! (Peace of mind without any "modern" computers ecu, bcu etc)

Range Rover P38 it used to be a technologically very advanced vehicle for its era (90s) so some times electrical issues could be difficult to be resolved on the spot (never had any issues with mine through touch wood.....) as long as you can keep the ECU and BCU dry from any water ingress.....

Unfortunately, I have no idea about the FJ60, except that its a Land Cruiser from the 80s which means no computers and purely mechanical vehicle.

If electrics could be an issue on your travels, choose either the RR Classic or LC FJ60 (both superb and look great even on the original form)

But if you are good on DYI and you like to get hands-on with your truck....go for the P38 (don't forget the p38 was the next step of development of the Classic)

To be honest difficult question which one to choose....