P rated AT3W higher load rating VS LT KO2.....WHY?

• HTML tutorial

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
I'm down to my final choices for tires and I thought the C load ko2s in an LT 285 70 17 would be perfect for my application. However I see the P metric Falken Wildpeaks in the 285/70/17 actually have 117t as their load rating VS the lower 116Q of the supposedly stronger K02…?????

They both weigh practically the same with BFG at 50.3 vs 50.5 lbs for the Wildpeaks.

K02 has 15/32 tread vs 14/32 with AT3

Any input on this would be appreciated. I'm upgrading my tires because my crappy Goodyear Wrangler ATS tires failed on a rocky trail this weekend. I had them aired down to 18 PSI and the sidewall under load flexing too much failed. Those are 113 load rated p metric. There also was some dry rot to be fair as the tires are over four years old in the desert heat.

Trying to make a good decision here thanks!

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The LT Wildpeaks in the same size have the same load index as the BFG.

I honestly cannot explain why they are showing a higher load index at a lower pressure, on the same size tire, it's counter intuitive.

That said, I would just buy the Wildpeaks in LT and call it good.

ETA : I see it now, they are calling maximum inflation in the P tire 51psi and maximum in the LT LR C, 50psi

So, same size vessel @higher pressure= higher load index.

I'd still buy the LT LR C for the extra 4/32“ tread depth

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Thanks for that. My hangup with the Wildpeak in the lt is that they are E load and 58.9 lbs per tire with a 121 load rating. Probably overkill for my FJ. That's why I was looking at the P load which seems comparable to the BFG LT C load with a 116 load rating. P metric AT3w has 117 load rating.

Makes no sense! Lol

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Thanks for that. My hangup with the Wildpeak in the lt is that they are E load and 58.9 lbs per tire with a 121 load rating. Probably overkill for my FJ. That's why I was looking at the P load which seems comparable to the BFG LT C load with a 116 load rating. P metric AT3w has 117 load rating.

Makes no sense! Lol
Load capacity is a function of inflation pressure.

P metric is going to be shallower tread depth, and much more frail sidewall. I would not put P metric on any kind of truck that is going to be used offroad

Reactions: 64Trvlr and 9Mike2

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Agreed! But it seems the P load wikdpeaks at the same psi are as strong or stronger than the C load LT k02s. It seems the AT3w is a very strong P rated tires compared to the other options available. Or is it that the C load rated k02 with 2 ply sidewall is an LT in name only?

Confused!

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Agreed! But it seems the P load wikdpeaks at the same psi are as strong or stronger than the C load LT k02s. It seems the AT3w is a very strong P rated tires compared to the other options available. Or is it that the C load rated k02 with 2 ply sidewall is an LT in name only?

Confused!
"Strong" is a generic term for what can be several functions. I would not equate strength necessarily to the ability to carry a load down the road in this case.

I believe the AT3W is a 3 ply sidewall, I would expect the P metric to be one. The heavier sidewall is going to allow you to air down possibly lower, but positively with better control.

P=Passenger, I recommend that you treat it as such. While certainly adequate on the FJ for pure highway (passenger) use, I think you will swiftly destroy it aired down offroad. To say nothing of the increased tread depth of the LT

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Also the LT 285/70R17 AT3W LR C is what comes oem on the Gladiators. Bearing in mind the propensity of Jeep owners to strip of perfectly good stuff, and replace it with Chinese shit, you can pick up a set of take offs priced right.

Example (these are sold) :
Screenshot_20191108-153455.png

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I have been using the LT KO2's for over three years out here in the Southwest, and have seen many other brands with sidewall damage that leaked, but "knock on Wood" Haven't had any problems with the KO2"s, This is on a fully loaded JKU , as my son says, it's just this side of an up armored Hummer....a lot of steel on it..

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
I have been using the LT KO2's for over three years out here in the Southwest, and have seen many other brands with sidewall damage that leaked, but "knock on Wood" Haven't had any problems with the KO2"s, This is on a fully loaded JKU , as my son says, it's just this side of an up armored Hummer....a lot of steel on it..

E or C? K02 C load is only 2 ply sidewall.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I like the E rating. When I load down my 4runner plus all my armor it's fricking heavy. Then air down and crawl over and around sharp rocks! I want as much protection as I can get!

Reactions: 9Mike2

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
So in the end it looks like BFG is calling their lighter weight KO2 a C load lt tire when in reality it's pretty on par with Falkens P rated AT3W ..... Just my opinion!

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Went with the P265/70/17 AT3W tires and my initial impressions are nothing but positive. They balanced very easily with weights ranging from only 1/2 ounce to 1 1/2 ounce per wheel.

This is JMO for anyone who is doing this same research and happens to see this thread. The LT C k02 and the P rated AT3W are very comparable in terms of sidewall toughness even though one is P vs the other being an LT.

The K02 is still a 2 ply sidewall and the AT3W is as well but Falken essentially turns it into a 4 ply sidewall by turning the ply back up from the bead all the way back up to the sidewalk armor point.

The load rating is key as the max PSIs are very comparable if not the same. Ko2 only has a 112 load rating in the 265 C load vs the much heftier 115 for the AT3W P rated tire.

The tires are within a half pound of each other, telling indeed.

This may be another example of BFG riding their legacy status and not really working to get better.

Attachments

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Went with the P265/70/17 AT3W tires and my initial impressions are nothing but positive. They balanced very easily with weights ranging from only 1/2 ounce to 1 1/2 ounce per wheel.

This is JMO for anyone who is doing this same research and happens to see this thread. The LT C k02 and the P rated AT3W are very comparable in terms of sidewall toughness even though one is P vs the other being an LT.

The K02 is still a 2 ply sidewall and the AT3W is as well but Falken essentially turns it into a 4 ply sidewall by turning the ply back up from the bead all the way back up to the sidewalk armor point.

The load rating is key as the max PSIs are very comparable if not the same. Ko2 only has a 112 load rating in the 265 C load vs the much heftier 115 for the AT3W P rated tire.

The tires are within a half pound of each other, telling indeed.

This may be another example of BFG riding their legacy status and not really working to get better.
Nice to see that you took the Falken!
If I would have read it earlier I would have recommended them.
In general, don't hang up on numbers... They don't always tell the truth. And honestly I don't know anyone in person who really likes the bfg ko2, everyone I know has bad experience with them!

I personally run general X3 in 285/70r17 E rated on a wrangler jku and I'm happy.

Reactions: 702FJC

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I
Nice to see that you took the Falken!
If I would have read it earlier I would have recommended them.
In general, don't hang up on numbers... They don't always tell the truth. And honestly I don't know anyone in person who really likes the bfg ko2, everyone I know has bad experience with them!

I personally run general X3 in 285/70r17 E rated on a wrangler jku and I'm happy.
Love the K02. I had nothing but good experience with them. And they have been abused. That is the E rated

Reactions: 702FJC and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I

Love the K02. I had nothing but good experience with them. And they have been abused. That is the E rated
Probably depends on the climate, our climate over here is more humid and cooler than yours, more wet roads and mud.