Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Question about this setup, I read the RV tagalong is not self supporting, does that mean once you're setup you can't detach awning and drive the truck away?
I do think that's the way it is design as the top is supported by the Foxwing BUT there has to be a way to jury rig something that will support it while your gone. I was thinking I might could order two extra foxing poles and rig something up.

My problem with the OzTent is only that it has that built in awning to it. With my foxwing connected to that awning and then connected to the tent my camp now has a pretty damn large footprint. That may be fine in some places but sometimes you don't have that much room.

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much, you don't have to use the awning on the tent. Plus, option for extra shade if you have the room never hurts!

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Nullifier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

15211 MerlinPark Pl Lithia, Fl
Member #

Oz tent has been riding up top since I got mine in 2007. I recently updated to a jettent f25x. This was a mistake. It is to large to in the back of my 80 next to my 63l engel. And the first and only time I loaded it in the roof I almost blew out a testicle lol. That mother wieghs 80lbs.
Probably going to sell it and get a tagalong for my rv4

Reactions: Road Bull

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

I have the oztent tagalong tent to go with my foxwing.
A6178E62-B266-4CC7-A787-54F9A3994A6E.jpeg
32D03C5A-C2E2-424B-A0BA-6EE85F516C14.jpeg

I’ve always thrown mine on the roof. No issues with rain,snow or bugs. They only issue I’ve had is tha adte 3years of use the original bag has been eaten by the sun. I plan on ordering the replacement canvas bag aswell as a few other canvas bag from DRIFTA

Reactions: Road Bull

Nullifier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

15211 MerlinPark Pl Lithia, Fl
Member #

I have been using the rv4 for over a decade. Unless you have a long bed full size truck it will go on the roof rack. Racks that have an elevated cage will most likely be to short forcing a diagonal load which kills rack space badly. Standard Yakima bars or a flat platform are the best solutions. I have also used a long Thule box to transport it in and that works well also. Especially when u toss in all your sleeping stuff and camp chairs. I recently added a,better fx2t to the mix. It is to big to go in the back of my 80 with my 60ltr fridge. I put it up top and almost blew a testical out. So I am currently deciding what to do with that monstrosity. Really like the rv series even with it's storage considerations. But I am not yet sold on the f25x. I'll give a few more trips before I decide. But bottom line is at this point I can not see the f25x staying unless I add a trailer.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Sorry for the Kodiak spam then... Interesting, so they just pack into one thing with the poles. How do you deal with a wet tent? Are you supposed to pack them dry like most cotton canvas to prevent mildew?
Packed ours away wet many a time. No problem for the canvas, as long as you don't leave for ages. Having said that, one of ours was left wet for a couple months - not even a smell and absolutely no mildew. Good quality material, and must be treated with something.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Question about this setup, I read the RV tagalong is not self supporting, does that mean once you're setup you can't detach awning and drive the truck away?
Correct, the tag a long isn't self supporting, but it's only a couple minutes to take down or put up.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We have 2 RV5s. Both go on the roof rack. I have a Defender 130 with a full length rack so have plenty of room.
Can't really see them too well, but there's two RV5s behind the two rows of Wolf boxes. All fits, just, end to end, but then the roof rack is 3.5m long. There's a roller on the back end of the rack, helps getting them on and off. Also got a Foxwing on the other side of the rack, so can set up quite a base camp with both tents connected to the Foxwing and the small awning out the other side.
Yup, we do like our Oztents - best ground tents we ever owned.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Packed ours away wet many a time. No problem for the canvas, as long as you don't leave for ages. Having said that, one of ours was left wet for a couple months - not even a smell and absolutely no mildew. Good quality material, and must be treated with something.
Ya, same with kodiak, has some amazing water proofing. I tried to clean some dirty spots on the roof (damn trees) and have never quite got the water proofing as good as it came from kodiak. Im even using the recommended waterproofing spray. I will just have to live with all the spots from the trees dropping and staining it.

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

For the Tagalong owners out there, after you get it setup and attached to your RV tent or Foxwing, could you disconnect and leave freestanding if you had an extra Ridge pole and some guy lines?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We have 2 RV5s. Both go on the roof rack. I have a Defender 130 with a full length rack so have plenty of room.
Can't really see them too well, but there's two RV5s behind the two rows of Wolf boxes. All fits, just, end to end, but then the roof rack is 3.5m long. There's a roller on the back end of the rack, helps getting them on and off. Also got a Foxwing on the other side of the rack, so can set up quite a base camp with both tents connected to the Foxwing and the small awning out the other side.
Yup, we do like our Oztents - best ground tents we ever owned.

Cracking set up

Reactions: RevIza

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

For the Tagalong owners out there, after you get it setup and attached to your RV tent or Foxwing, could you disconnect and leave freestanding if you had an extra Ridge pole and some guy lines?

No, it has no uprights at the connection end, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Couldn't you just leave whatever uprights were already there from the RV or awning, detach the rest and go? I don't want my vehicle to be so connected to the overall setup, we like to be mobile after setting up camp, explore locally, etc... That said, the Foxwing and Tagalong would be a great setup if I could disconnect.

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

One time when camping the wind took my Foxwing awning and snapped a few of the pivot joints. I was able to make the tent stand on it own, but it wasn’t easy. For the front I had to used 4 guy lines, 2 vertical poles and an extra spreader bar. I then attached the tent to the frame, like I normally would to the awning. It worked, but I wouldn’t do it again. I now carry an hammock as a backup.

Reactions: Mogwai

Pieman1963

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio, USA
First Name
Thad
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hey everyone, I have an Oztent RV-3 that I have not had the chance to use yet and wanted to know how you folks are transporting on your adventures. Let's see some pictures if possible.

Thanks
I was wondering the same thing and was wondering if a kayak rack, like by Yakima, would work or if the tent is too heavy. What do you think? Thanks.

bunger

Local Expert New England, USA
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southington CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

I was wondering the same thing and was wondering if a kayak rack, like by Yakima, would work or if the tent is too heavy. What do you think? Thanks.
I use a set of cheap $40 kayak J mounts and strap it on like I would tie down a kayak.
I originally had them on the factory cross bars on the roof of my truck but I transferred them to my trailer for easier access and between trip storage.
It's been working great for the last 3 years.
51HZiD43CPL._AC_.jpg20180517_083312.jpg

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I‘ve been researching these tents for months, and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately, the size of a packed unit was simply too large. I have a Gobi Ranger rack and it is a few inches too long to lay flat - hard to believe. In the end, I went with the Oxley 7. Not the ‘lite’ version, but the version they sell everywhere else that is poly-cotton. It costs more ($300 just to have it shipped), will take longer to set up, but I’ll be able to carry it comfortably on the rack and will have the same quality as the other Oztent products. Very excited about it arriving here in the states!!