Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Evening all. Getting ready for my first big overland trip. Headed off to Owyhee canyonlands byway south of Boise Idaho. Has anyone been there if so any info would be extremely helpful. Leaving from San Diego Ca. August 7 returning 11 th or 12 th. Any route preference would be great as well. Can’t wait for the MUCCCCCHHHHH needed vacation as it has been 3 years since last vacation. Just excited to get on the road & off the road & wanted any helpful info. Thanks & look forward to any info.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Best I can do is ask you to record where you go and post a nice trip report. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

have you checked iOverlander?

'Sandpoint Steve

Reactions: Jedi

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

The ByWay is passable, there are a dozen trails that go nowhere, like DickShooter. It's easier to do starting in Grand View and finishing in Jordon Valley. Have a Compass, and Topo Maps. The road into Wichahoney, and Jacks Creek are worth the views. It's easy to get turned around and off track. Lots of Sage brush, and Pronghorn, there are Big Horn Sheep in the Bruneau Canyon. Be Safe!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'd recommend using Google earth and Gaia to map out your route. Then precache the maps on your phone so you know where you're going. @GHCOE has a much better sense of the owyhees than I do, as I've only ventured out there a few times (and those were tagging along with him anyways).

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Awesome thank you very much for the great info. Going to track & take Picts of the trip & will probably post when I get back. Thank you again very much fellas.

Reactions: Jedi

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
The road is not very difficult. Basically a four season road that is not maintained during the winter. There are a few good points to the road, but really it is a gateway to better places. If you want you can check out a lot of the road in these videos. There is other roads in the video so in this one the byway would be from 0:41 starting in Grandview, Idaho and ending at 3:04 where we turn off the Byway .

We reconnect to the Byway at the same point in this video at 29.55 and finish the road at 31:31 where it ends in Jordan Valley, Oregon.

There is a campground on the North Fork of the Owyhee. In the second video it is where we cross the bridge. Lots of dispersed camping throughout though. You could drive the byway in a day easily.

If you have more time PM me I can give you some other points of interest in the area. George.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

The road is not very difficult. Basically a four season road that is not maintained during the winter. There are a few good points to the road, but really it is a gateway to better places. If you want you can check out a lot of the road in these videos. There is other roads in the video so in this one the byway would be from 0:41 starting in Grandview, Idaho and ending at 3:04 where we turn off the Byway .

We reconnect to the Byway at the same point in this video at 29.55 and finish the road at 31:31 where it ends in Jordan Valley, Oregon.

There is a campground on the North Fork of the Owyhee. In the second video it is where we cross the bridge. Lots of dispersed camping throughout though. You could drive the byway in a day easily.

If you have more time PM me I can give you some other points of interest in the area. George.
George thank you very much for the info & taking time out post your videos. Can’t wait to get out there & thanks again.

Reactions: Jedi and GHCOE