South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Some stuff I take I hope I never need. Being far away from help or just not wanting to depend on others necessitates planning/packing for eventualities. Then, there is food and cookware. I take way too much food because I usually grab something when on the move and like to try the local cuisine some. Anyway, if I wuz to get stranded I ain't gonna starve. I have parred down to cooking off the tailgate and one small, light aluminum table instead of a larger, heavier table that fit but just wasn't necessary. Tools and water seem like a lot of the weight. I've parred down some of the tools and luckily rarely need them , but they add a level of comfort that allows for better sleep. Being prepared and being comfortable allows for a better outing. If I have room why sacrifice either?

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
If overpack means take stuff you don't actually use, then I've been overpacking ever since I put a flash light in my glove compartment. Speaking of glove compartments, who actually keeps gloves in there? And for what? Driving? Who uses driving gloves any way?

I always keep a first-aid kit and fire extinguisher in tow, although at present they are not secured and could cause injury in the event of a rollover. This will be rectified once I find a sturdy box of appropriate size. Craftsman makes nice stackable tool boxes with inserts and trays that can be used for all kinds of things, for those of you who also overpack! Much cheaper than all those fancy drawer decks and tub systems.

Need to figure out a way to get a 100-pound spare tire onto the roof by myself, and I'll have all the space to overpack that I could possibly want.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If overpack means take stuff you don't actually use, then I've been overpacking ever since I put a flash light in my glove compartment. Speaking of glove compartments, who actually keeps gloves in there? And for what? Driving? Who uses driving gloves any way?

I always keep a first-aid kit and fire extinguisher in tow, although at present they are not secured and could cause injury in the event of a rollover. This will be rectified once I find a sturdy box of appropriate size. Craftsman makes nice stackable tool boxes with inserts and trays that can be used for all kinds of things, for those of you who also overpack! Much cheaper than all those fancy drawer decks and tub systems.

Need to figure out a way to get a 100-pound spare tire onto the roof by myself, and I'll have all the space to overpack that I could possibly want.
Some great points. I keep several gloves in my truck. From latex gloves for clean-up and some cooking situations, to warm ones for cold weather, to a few types of work gloves for chainsaw work or working on the truck (or heck, even just filling up on the big rig side of a truck stop) but NONE of them are in my glove box, lol.

-TJ

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Used to be called a "jockey box", nobody kept their jockey in one either.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Part of overpacking is comfort, as I have gotten older comfort matters more. 40 years ago I could toss a sleeping bag, canvas carry-all with clothes, cooler, Coleman stove and lantern, and 1 pot and perk coffee maker, small tent and tarp. I would like to think could get down that again but at 65, I can afford some luxury and Discovery has huge cargo space. As long as I pack below the window edges I am not over packed.:expressionless:

Reactions: AggieOE

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

IMO learning right weight volume I made few trips with overlanding motorcyclists.... Believe me - THEY KNOW... :grin:
So now it's much easier to choose what I really need and what I thing would be nice to have.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
We're in the midst of prepping for a 6 month tour so this has been a great read and has definitely added some items to our list...haha

Those dang rear seats! Laws prohibit removal and last year we almost had our vehicle impounded because of it...so unfortunately they're staying in this time around.

Vehicle weight is a big factor for me. No big after market bumpers..winch...batwing awning...just the necessities.

Attachments

Reactions: AggieOE

Nosferatu

Rank I

Contributor III

Neither here nor there
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Smith
I'm definitely in the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" mindset. I have to check myself constantly when packing

I need extra undies..or two, socks, oh but it might get cold, need the wool ones, plus the merino baselayers. Might as well pack that puffy jacket as well as the rain shell. Gloves, beanie, facemask.

Don't even get me started on tools. Not to mention backups to backups to backups ways of starting a fire. Med kit, more water than I use in a week.

And you can't bring enough ammo. They S might H T F while you're out. I always have a handgun on me, but maybe another mag..or three. Plus the .22 and shotgun in case I come across some critters that need eating. The rifle for sure, plus extra mags...cause commies!

Then there's camping gear. If I'm in the Bronco, it's easy to keep it simpler, since I have no space in it. It's part of the reason I got it, was for weekend scouting excursions.

If I have the truck camper though, all bets are off. That sucker gets packed to the gills and I don't feel bad about it!

Oh, and beer. And bourbon. Definitely can't have enough, I might get stuck somewhere and if you can't be stuck without a shitload of bourbon and beer, you might as well not exist.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I try to bring the least amount of things possible.
I see so many overlanders bring way too much stuff.

Tent, sleeping gear, folding chair and table.
1 small stove, cutting board, utensils, paper plates, dometic fridge/freezer, food and water, and a trasheroo full of oak firewood (burns longer imo).
Once I setup my camp, I go offroading with my dogs, come back to make dinner and wind down by the fire. No laptop or tablet, just my phone for music and taking pictures or videos.

That's about it. No showering unit and stall, no fancy organizer setup, no RTT, no trailer, no extra fuel etc

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Outdoordog You take too much. Leave the dogs, tent, and refrigerator home. Don't worry, somebody will tell you that you take too much, even when you don't take a jack, a spare tire, or a bottle of water. Hardcore lightweight can be taken to stupid extents, just take what you use and laugh at the other guys.

There's no right or wrong way to do it, but I wonder how people can wheel in a 10,000 pound rig with a trailer behind it. My rig is around the 4,000-4,500 range (ish) and that's already heavier than I like.

gatogordo

Rank I

Contributor III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Parker

Hmmm spare tire... A. Who needs one of those??? B. What? You only have one spare tire???

GG

Reactions: DintDobbs and Salt

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@gatogordo Funny story, I actually ordered a second spare tire for my rig and forgot where I ordered it, so I never picked it up. I've never needed to use any of my spare tires, but the first thing I do when I get a car is get a matching spare wheel and tire.

I don't judge people for what they bring. Some people bring stuff because they know somebody else will need it, even though they themselves never do.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

@gatogordo

Some people bring stuff because they know somebody else will need it, even though they themselves never do.
I am bad for this. Usually I have enough tools to build a whole vehicle out on the trails, extra gear, a few hammocks, extra tent ( small tent ).... most of my friends dontt need the extra stuff anymore... but i have a bad habbit of not bringing good food ( i dont really cook so I have a lot of mountain house meals and instant coffee with a side of beef jerky and licorice) . Lucky for me my friends love to eat well and alway bring extra. WIN WIN lol

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Been following this thread and no one has mentioned Gross Vehicle Weight...maybe I'm being too serious. But if you consider all the cool after market extras...rtt...rack...oversized tires...lift kits...big bumpers...winches...extra batteries...ect. This really starts to interfere with the kitchen sink ;-)