Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Camping and personal gear not to bad, problem comes in with having a need to be prepared for everything mentality ... so along come tools, spare parts, recovery gear, medic gear, communications, survival gear, portable underground bunker...lol find myself leaving out comfort items before the rest.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Camping and personal gear not to bad, problem comes in with having a need to be prepared for everything mentality ... so along come tools, spare parts, recovery gear, medic gear, communications, survival gear, portable underground bunker...lol find myself leaving out comfort items before the rest.
I find this to be too true! We rarely travel that far off the beaten path so, in a reality, I know we pack too much.
That being said, having a trailer and bins makes this much more forgiving. The extreme extras and spares stay in the lowest bins that are least accessible and you have plenty of room to pack extra nice-to-haves that you may also not even use.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Still after all these years we are still learning to pare things down which can be a challenge when off grid for 6-7 days at a time in the early spring and fall. Food? Healthy, nutritious, simple foods. Clothing? 7 pairs underwear is our baseline. Outer clothing can be worn for a few days. Cold weather survival gear is in a box, bottom of trailer. Traction boards? Not always. Footwear? Driving boots, hiking boots, sandals. Tools, spare electrical parts, etc. interestingly every time we leave something at home, we end up needing it. So, I’ve about given up on paring our “what to bring” list down.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What I tend to carry seems to depend on whether my wife is coming, kid is coming, or both.

I try to keep pretty much everything I need for solo travel in my Xterra at all times. I have a "go bag" that I keep clothes in. I'm still packing it, and making sure it's got everything in it. This way, when I want to go, I can grab the bag, pack the cpap, and head out, hitting the grocery store on my way.

We take more cooking gear when the family goes, and that all lives in the trailer. It's just very difficult to fit what we need in the Xterra for more than 4 days. There's just not enough room to fit more in there. Though, that's changed now that I have a tent on top of it, with bedding inside. No more setting up a tent. Base camping, we take the trailer.

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

Hi, Guys. Interesting discussion. I'm just starting out with overlanding after years of camping/backpacking. Wrestling with the same issues you are.

Trying to save myself time and reduce the learning curve (of maybe a dozen or so trips), I developed a map (diagram) of my rig, especially where I COULD put gear. I "see" where the gear goes and think about each item:

- Would it substantially increase my margin of safety?
- Should I bring it to reduce or avoid the risk of a major expense?
- Will it reduce the cost of the expedition?
- Will it substantially increase my understanding, enjoyment, or what I can give back to the overlanding community?
- Will I be uncomfortable without it? Think hard about that. Uncomfortable in what sense?
- Will doing without the item actually enhance my education, independence/resourcefulness, or mental/physical/spiritual toughness? How valuable is that?

Here's my gear map, always in a state of change (I've started a thread about it in another OB forum):

Xterra - Gear Map - Plus One Person.002.jpeg
Xterra - Gear Map - Plus One Person.003.jpeg

Last edited:

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

I'm using a software program called Apple KeyNote which is like Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows. Digital version of crayons, construction paper, and scissors.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

@Salt, I’m also a backpacker who has transitioned to long term car camping. Your schematic is great. While I mostly tow a teardrop trailer, some trips are still sleeping in my ground tent and I have a set system for where things are stored. This will be my third summer of multiple 30-90 day trips. I’ve modified my old packing lists for flying cross country to backpack, by adding vehicle maintenance items and extended living items. I factor cost savings versus weight/space when determining what to bring and what to buy along the way. Bringing a small bottle of laundry detergent and dryer sheets (especially if bought on sale) is much cheaper than buying the crappy stuff in laundromats for $2 each. The savings equals gas in the truck. I prioritize items for safety (vehicle, security, medical) and comfort (sleeping, shelter, a chair). I carry very few “decorative” items - such as cutesy lighting or campsite flags. I also avoid high weight/volume items with low payback, such as Skottles or large shelters. For comparison, my 10’x10’ shelter weights 8 lbs., folds down to the size of a 3-person backpacking tent and can withstand strong wind gusts with ease. Food is stored in a 30 qt. fridge and a single, similar sized Plano box. I replenish along the way.
On the subject of storage, you mentioned soft-sided containers. I prefer hard sided, as they’re easier to stack and keep clean, particularly if you have a spill. I add a bit of ¼” gasket to make them airtight; keeps smells inside for bear country and bugs out. Mine aren’t strong enough to sit on, but are the perfect height to double as a table beside my camp chair. Think dual purpose!
As a wise person stated somewhere in the forums, everything you bring is something that has to be unloaded and then repacked. Save effort by packing wisely.

Reactions: Salt

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

Thank you for your insights to avoid overpacking. So many nuggets there:
  • Is it time to add a tow-trailer?
  • Savings equals gas in the truck
  • Prioritize items for safety (vehicle, security, medical) and comfort (sleeping, shelter, a chair)
  • Avoid high weight, avoid high volume, where payback is low
  • Factor cost savings versus weigh and space
  • Hard-sided containers: stackable, wipe clean, possibly dual purpose as table/chairs
  • Food: 30 qt fridge and similar size Plano box, replenish on the road
  • Add ¼" gasket around food containers (bears and bugs)
  • Everything you bring is something that has to be unloaded and then repacked. Save effort by packing wisely.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

If you mean overpack, as in taking too much, absolutely. However, I think you mean overpack as in over-obsessing about packing. In that case, no.