Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Good article. It does make me wonder how well the camper weight is balanced. When I bought my 11.5 Lance, the weight was moved forward a bit by the manufacture, this gave less leverage on the rear suspension. Even though my camper was the same weight, I had less weight overhanging. My tow rigs were also the last of the heavy frames. Modern trucks run lighter frames. Still, trucks are not designed to have weight "hinging" the rear. A trailer would have had the tongue weight more forward and the hitch tied about 20 inch's into the frame. It looks to have bent right where the boxed frame ends and the open C channel starts. To make it worse, you should see what is sold to tow with a four foot overhang. He could have gone his whole life on the street and never had an issue. Wash board roads change that.

In my life, I've seen two C class motor homes loose the rear section of frame, one separated completely. Both were towing and both drove wash boards eight to ten trips a year. On a similar note, one of my friends had his truck break the rear section of the frame right over the axle, on the street, twice. His issue was a "C-notch" kit installed due to it being lowered. He towed an enclosed race car trailer. When he had the C-Notch installed, I warned I'm about towing with a weakened frame. He stated the guy who welded it was a pro and it was still under max tongue weight. Again, here is someone who is a good welder but doesn't understand engineering, an owner that wont admit its modified and now all the stock specs went right out the window .

The article also mentioned it was possible the dealer misinformed him about what it can do. I will agree to a point. The salesmen should have known he was going to put a camper with a heavy overhang and drive washboards.

Bottom line, my modified vehicles get a thorough frame check every year. I have cracked frames (one broke all the way through), broken off spring hangers (Jeep YJ's, OMG), seen panhard rod mounts ripped off (not mine), seen steering box mounts crack. For this reason is why I have an onboard welder, to fix mostly other peoples broken off road stuff. What's really funny is most of what I have seen were not hardcore rigs. Just people with oversized tires doing moderate stuff.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I’ve had a lot of rams both duAl and srw. I’ve seen tremendous loads on them. Never have I seen a problem like this. I’m positive it was overloaded. The weight distribution was also working agains the owner. The dually is really made for towing big weight. The manufacturer has probably done their due diligence to determine liability.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That camper is stupid huge. You dont need 1000 square feet to sleep.

Hopefully his insurance company drops him.

Rv'ers are always doing something stupid. I haven't seen a properly setup flatbed truck and 5'er in ages. Just a bunch of squatted overloaded momo trucks.

In other news the Porsche Cayenne towing a 25' Imagine TT in mid Ohio, finally went off the road and totaled itself. So we dont have to worry about that schmuck killing people for a while.

Reactions: MOAK

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

The rationalizing of the towing/boating/camping community can be..............."interesting".

That written, never ceases to amaze people's interpretation of GVWR (or lack thereof).

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The rationalizing of the towing/boating/camping community can be..............."interesting".

That written, never ceases to amaze people's interpretation of GVWR (or lack thereof).
Yep.

I never cease to be amazed at what people will use as a tow rig for a load that I think belongs behind at least a heavy duty 3/4 ton if not a 1 ton.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Dealers lie, both automative and rv. The average consumer considers them experts and takes their advice (not unlike listening to Drs when it comes to engineering specifications and/or limits of medical equipment).

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So, I was reading that yesterday and that slide in is STUPID BIG. I have a 2017 F150 screw fx4 with the 5.0. I want to put a truck camper in for when we travel. I was looking at the lance 650 or 825. Both are 200lbs of each other. Am I safe with this setup? Everything I have been reading is both will work with each other and be fine, but I don't want to have a rig prone to failure.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

That camper is laughably huge. It even has a pop out for pity sake! I feel like you would need a Deuce and a half to properly carry that monstrosity.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Actually, a stripper pole can swing out, and not weigh much. Goes good with an outdoor shower.

Along with a burban and wine rack, my Bundutec order might be their weirdest.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Pretty funny....and I removed my rear seats and stuck with factory tire sizing to save weight!

@ Joaquin...Nice deal on the tires ; )

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
With crash safety requiring crumple zones and engineered buckle points on frames, rough road towing and heavy loading is a roll of the dice. Older rigs can get away with a lot more because the frames were solid front to back. Body on frame construction is designed to take heavy loads in linear and predicable fashion, niether of wich exist on rough/ minimum maintenance roads or off-road, especially with engineered failure points for crash safety. This is the exact same reason why we have seen Colorodos and Gladiators bend frames towing off-road.