Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I dont know myself (not enough experience) but I dont think I would drive in 2wd on sketchy trails if I had 4wd available to me.
I'll say I use 4WD and 4LO often just to gain better control than I'd get in 2WD. But the point is I don't use 4WD to get farther down a muddy trail. Or a snowed in trail. Mud, Snow, Sand, I deliberately use 2WD for the confidence I will be able to back out in 4WD.

4WD, 4LO let you tread lightly rather than reliying on wheel spin and momentum in sketchy situations. Crawling in 4LO is a great place to preserve machinery.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'll say I use 4WD and 4LO often just to gain better control than I'd get in 2WD. But the point is I don't use 4WD to get farther down a muddy trail. Or a snowed in trail. Mud, Snow, Sand, I deliberately use 2WD for the confidence I will be able to back out in 4WD.

4WD, 4LO let you tread lightly rather than reliying on wheel spin and momentum in sketchy situations. Crawling in 4LO is a great place to preserve machinery.
My LRD2 is full time 4WD (High or Low) so I don't have a 2WD choice. I can only relate to my experience which is that when I owned a 2WD pick up I got stuck many times. Since I've owned 4x4's I have never been stuck. Like you I drive in 2wd until I come to something that looks too challenging for 2wd so I stop and engage my 4wd and proceed. I dont drive gung ho but I have been in situations where if I wasn't aggressive I would have been stuck. Most of my driving has been in sand so I'm looking forward to getting the chance to drive in snow and mud this winter if I can get out.