Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Howdy all, I stumbled into this thread doing my usual sweep of "New Posts" and it got me thinking. First, I wonder how the OP is doing, and how their journey into Overlanding has gone. Second despite some other challenges in life, I have my health and am very grateful for that. Now, I don't say that to brag or be a jerk, just that sometimes it helps to get some perspective. So that lead me to thinking "what can I do to help folks that want to Overland with physical/health challenges?" So, hear me out here, would it be patronizing or otherwise inappropriate to suggest/offer help planning and executing some trips for folks with disabilities/special needs? What I'm thinking is a mix of folks so those of us who are more physically capable can take on the "chores" of Overlanding that require more mobility/energy. From (seemingly) simple things like getting out to spot someone through a technical spot and doing the cooking at camp, to more comprehensive assistance like help moding/prepping/packing rigs and the associated clean-up afterward. Would there be interest in something like that (from either side of things)? Again, just a thought, and hopefully not an offensive one...

-TJ

Enthusiast I

Prescott, AZ USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Bolander
Service Branch
US Army
Well I have been an amputee (left leg below the knee) for 32 yrs. It has gotten harder as I have gotten older (50 now) and my trails have gotten easier just because it is much more of a deal to get stuck or have breakage.
Hey Lance,

I don't know if you remember me or not, but we were both members of the FJ Cruiser Forum way back when. (Matter of fact, I still have the rear bumper on my FJ that you had won at a raffle in Ouray and I had traded you something for it.)

I've been living right up the road from you in Prescott for the past 12 years, so somehow we need to get together. Anyway, it's great to hear that you're doing well.

Steve

Enthusiast I

Prescott, AZ USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Bolander
Service Branch
US Army
So that lead me to thinking "what can I do to help folks that want to Overland with physical/health challenges?" So, hear me out here, would it be patronizing or otherwise inappropriate to suggest/offer help planning and executing some trips for folks with disabilities/special needs?

Would there be interest in something like that (from either side of things)? Again, just a thought, and hopefully not an offensive one...
Hey TJ,

That would not be considered patronizing or inappropriate at all. Personally, I would love to have such events or trips available to me. And, I have no doubt that others here with physical limitations/disabilities would also welcome such activities with open arms.

I consider your offer to help out with something like this to be very generous and much appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I could do to help coordinate things here in the central and northern areas of Arizona.

Steve

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Hey Lance,

I don't know if you remember me or not, but we were both members of the FJ Cruiser Forum way back when. (Matter of fact, I still have the rear bumper on my FJ that you had won at a raffle in Ouray and I had traded you something for it.)

I've been living right up the road from you in Prescott for the past 12 years, so somehow we need to get together. Anyway, it's great to hear that you're doing well.

Steve
Howdy Steve,
I remember very well and you will get a kick out of knowing I just been a week with Maureen "Mo" who was part of the Toyota Trail Teams FJ Launch and still has her FJ Cruiser.
We were Medical & Sweep for the Sonora Rally (World Championship Rally Raid) and had a blast.
Yes we need to meet up now that the heat is climbing in Phx

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I had 2 open heart surgeries within a year (recent), and my mobility was lessened, and because my sternum was cracked open twice, it will never be the same again. Im not allowed to lift more than 25 lbs for 6 months, and I've talked to other transplant recipients and they said it takes forever to heal, and some can't work on their cars anymore. My wife has to help me lift things, like to put stuff on the roofrack, or putting the fridge/freezer in the back of the jeep.