Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I had to be the one to start this discussion. I'm a Type 1 diabetic since 1999. Insulin dependent and spent 4 yrs on a pump with Dexcom. I do MDI now with Dexcom. I'd love to see some discussion around tips, tricks, issues, etc around overlanding, day trips, camping, with diabetes. Type 1, 1.5, 2..doesn't matter.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am an "Other" diabetic due to almost dying from an acute pancreatitis attack, but really am type 2, take pills and shots, one 24hr shot in the morning and one shot before meals, to be honest I do forget some meal shots when camping.....I hate hauling insulin and needles and such but it is what it is.....

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Type 2 here, yes I haul it along, I am once a day and a butt load of pills. That why we don't for longer than a week most of the time. Also I am a amputee of the right foot, a work accident, so I have to haul spare parts and a spare leg for my leg too.

Reactions: Jim SoG

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Maybe more Covid related but diabetics would appreciate the struggle. Fedex has had my insulin now for 3 days and delivery says pending. Impossible to get anyone on the phone. For obvious reasons, I need it now. This covid issue is messing with more people than anything could think of. Even if you don't get the virus.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Type 1 since New Years of '06, but I think my pancreas gave up Thanksgiving of '05.

As far as overlanding, the most important thing you can do is let others in your group know you are T1 and educate them on symptoms of hyper/hypoglycemia and how to treat. I make it a point to not take insulin within 2 hrs of falling asleep, especially when alone to avoid any lows through the night. I still rock it somewhat old school and take two types of insulin and manually check my glucose. My wife is also a T1 and she has a new fangled pump that keeps track of her glucose, connects to her iphone, beeps all the time and will automatically inject insulin. When on the road and on trips, I find myself eating healthier and being more active and adjust my insulin accordingly.

GreyMudder

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint-Louis de Kent, NB, Canada
First Name
Rino
Last Name
Granito
Member #

Overlanding for me was a nightmare at first. Type 2 with resistance to insulin ( I have to say I have a hard time with my diet) . My first issue, offroading was an activity that caused me many hypoglycemic reactions.The heat and walking up and down hills caused sever blood sugar crashes , therefore I carried dextrose and other supplements. Now we all know that when I overland I also off road, and you never know how much energy you will be pumping out. So my blood sugar was all over the place. My baseline was not suited to this type of activity. In Canada if you happen to have a specialized doctor, this is gold. I have to go to clinics and no doctor will treat the patient just the symptoms,

Finally I got off the baseline and started to reduce my carb intake (Still working on this for the last 2 years) I worked seated all day, mu job is stressful and chaotic at best, so I eat to compensate.. But when I know I will be offroading, I will have a good breakfast proteins, veggies, and 1 slice of low sugar bread. A small orange juice ( my treat). Then I compensate with some fruit based on the level of activity, a mixture of nuts help as well.

Now just to be able to stay on track with this low card diet..

Hope this can help (been a diabetic for the past 30 years.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Being an engineer, I designed a handy little snap lid insulated box with a Peltier junction, heat sink, and some control electronics. It keeps my insulin within the prescribed temp range. It cools if it is hot out or heats if it is cold. It plugs into a cigarette lighter.

I have toyed with the idea of selling these. What do you guys think about saleablity? With a simple wall wart, it could be used at home or office. I even thought about adding a rechargeable lithium battery but that ups the cost.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Being an engineer, I designed a handy little snap lid insulated box with a Peltier junction, heat sink, and some control electronics. It keeps my insulin within the prescribed temp range. It cools if it is hot out or heats if it is cold. It plugs into a cigarette lighter.

I have toyed with the idea of selling these. What do you guys think about saleablity? With a simple wall wart, it could be used at home or office. I even thought about adding a rechargeable lithium battery but that ups the cost.
A decade ago I searched high and low for something like that. I wanted to put it in my TJ's center console to keep a pen from overheating during topless drives and runs. I never did find anything that would work for me, but I have a fridge now so the insulin sits alongside the cheese.

I did a quick search and it seems the product you designed does now exist commercially on Amazon. There is probably a market for such a device, especially for folks who are still using coolers.

Reactions: 9Mike2

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I was looking at under $100 depending on the volume/demand. Mine is a ton simpler (aka idiot proof). It has a very low power flashing green light if it is within an acceptable preset range. It flashes red if it is out of range. It holds several vials, your meter, your lancets/piercer, and multiple syringes. It could be used for all manners of medicines including autopens.

Last edited:

SugarFreeShooter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Powell, OH, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PRJ
Type 1 here. my usual storage involves a small pelican and/ or some space in the cooler depending on the weather. Being on a Tandem/Dexcom combo, the sensor is usually the most space consuming, but if I time my site changes, I can usually get a week and a half of supplies. Backpacking with my equipment gets a lot more interesting though.

Thatredfj

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Kirkwood, MO, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Willard
Member #

T1D here for 15 years. I travel a ton for work and for play and have never let T1D stop that. Its been some crazy times here recently and with work slowing down I am Planning some big adventures out west!

for a while I had a lot of anxiety about traveling for extended periods of time with others and alone but just diving in and spending the time prepping and having a plan has made it all work out so far!

Cheers to everyone out there crushing life with Diabeties and don't let it slow the adventure down!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
T1D here for 15 years. I travel a ton for work and for play and have never let T1D stop that. Its been some crazy times here recently and with work slowing down I am Planning some big adventures out west!

for a while I had a lot of anxiety about traveling for extended periods of time with others and alone but just diving in and spending the time prepping and having a plan has made it all work out so far!

Cheers to everyone out there crushing life with Diabeties and don't let it slow the adventure down!
Same here. Hasn't been an issue yet. Was thinking about retiring this spring and heading to the Rockies to see if I can catch a few trout. Something told me not to get in a hurry. Definitely checking out by end of this year and maybe head west next summer. It would be go to meet up with some other members out there. Plenty of time to plan I suppose. Probably going to hit the Outer Banks this fall.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Same here. Hasn't been an issue yet. Was thinking about retiring this spring and heading to the Rockies to see if I can catch a few trout. Something told me not to get in a hurry. Definitely checking out by end of this year and maybe head west next summer. It would be go to meet up with some other members out there. Plenty of time to plan I suppose. Probably going to hit the Outer Banks this fall.
Fishing is all we've been doing so far this year. Surf, bay, fresh, whatever..

IMG_3448.jpg

20200620_165158.jpg

20200525_110640.jpg

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #