Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
This may fall into a the run what ya brung category a little bit. Not terribly much, because I had off grid camping in mind when my kids and I built Rose in 2008.

My tear is a 5x10 “woody” with a vinyl roof even. Over the years, she has been continually modified and improved. I’ve even done an axle flip to drop her because she sat way up in the air, so much it wasn’t comfortable at time to use the galley or ingress/egress the cabin.

The lasts two years, I’ve made the trip from Texas to near Pinedale, Wyoming to meet up with a group of friends and fellow builders. The trips have definely been in the overlanding spirit, especially this year with 4 days at Flaming Gorge, Utah before meeting the group.

There is a build thread, at tnttt which documents the basic get her “campable” effort, plus the upgrades over time. After all, a teardrop is never done.

Off grid in Wyoming:

03101CC8-537E-44E6-B9FB-14F95139C67E.jpeg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
AT Lone Rock campground, one of the stops on the Enchanted Rockies Trail. We've been here twice now.

IMG_4446.JPG

The east entrance to the Eisenhower tunnel. Why, yes the interstate goes through the Rockies, and under the continental divide.

IMG_4487.JPG

A genuine wild rose.
IMG_4550.JPG

There was definitely not dry pavement to get to this campsite.
IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
THIS is why I overland. Square Top Mountain, Wyoming. Once upon a time I stood atop this peak and watch a bull moose at the base of the sheer cliff I was on.

IMG_4619.JPG

Reactions: Gpschef and MazeVX

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
On to the reasons this thread is here and not in trips. I mentioned a teardrop is never done. I've not been totally at ease with the tongue on Rose since I built here. The stock tongue on the frame I used was a piece of C channel, which was okay, built also twisted some when I used the tongue jack. Consequently I always used some other stabilizers when parked and unhitched from the tow vehicle. In the last year I've also been towing with thecopcar, which has a longer wheelbase than any other I've used in 11 years. So, out with the old and in with the new. I was able to buy some steel by the foot in lieu of buying an entire 24foot stick. Rose is getting an upgrade to a 2-1/2" square by 1/4" tongue which is also longer than original. Easier backing, plus more space to mount the tongue jack, and maybe even a spare tire mount.

DC7214BE-614F-4799-B974-8A849A9FC6C8.jpegA2781FD2-C25D-4518-883E-7A88A9708F4C.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Some galley views for on and off grid camping.

First up, in the Snowy Range on the continental divide in Wyoming. Definitely off grid. Note the water jugs on the shelf between the cooler and pantry. A bit messy after 11 days. Oops

IMG_4682.JPG

A bit better shot the next morning.
IMG_4691.JPG

Definitely on grid here. Note the water jugs are gone. Rose has some creature comforts to ease reheating coffee, making popcorn, and other stuff.
CBC2AE95-0DE6-4120-BB9D-C49135DE2761.jpeg

Last edited:

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Nice teardrop trailer :-)

We bought one in 2012 that needs some love (read: fix water damage), but we've towed it from VA to UT, NV, AZ and a lot of states in between, New England and in our closer neighborhood - MD, VA, PA.

2018-01-20_06-35-32.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Nice teardrop trailer :-)

We bought one in 2012 that needs some love (read: fix water damage), but we've towed it from VA to UT, NV, AZ and a lot of states in between, New England and in our closer neighborhood - MD, VA, PA.

View attachment 126215
That’s cool. Love your fenders. I’m thinking about adding some load bars to the roof so I can add an ARB or similar awning. Doing the pop up canopy thing is getting old.

Reactions: Rolando

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I’ve even done an axle flip to drop her because she sat way up in the air, so much it wasn’t comfortable at time to use the galley or ingress/egress the cabin.
I'm sure this will become a trend. Most of todays trailers are so high they border on unstable.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The new tongue going into place. While I was at this I replaced the basket I had welded up with a new, larger one. It’s a modified haul master 66983 hitch basket. Harbor freight has them on sale occasionally for a deep discount. A786A5DE-611D-4327-8839-69C6A0728654.jpeg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It’s been awhile, and more overland trips complete. This was coming home from a recent trip in the Texas hill country. 5635F386-409C-4806-BDD9-7A885926BD7D.jpeg