Alula

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kent, UK
First Name
Arno
Last Name
Oelofse
Are there any members out there that done some overlanding trips in the UK, something like a 3-4 day trip?

With all the rules here in the UK on byways and bridleways, seems it's not as easy, and also most of the routes I found looks to be a mixture of tarmac and gravel road, where majority is tacmac.. Any suggestions / tips will be great

Reactions: El-Dracho

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Decades ago, my wife and I did trips around Scotland (she was born in Hexham). You are right about all the Tarmac, but that was OK since our "rig" was a 1992 Ford Mustang GT at the time. Yes, you really can do this in anything. Anyway, the Scottish Highlands offers quite a bit of great scenic drives, and there's always a farmers field available to rent for the night. We really liked this one (Home | Syke Farm Campsite). Taking The Old Military Road off the A83 is really nice. Don't forget to visit Rest-And-Be-Thankful viewpoint. There's a reason for the name. LoL Also, you must visit Glen Mhor. If your lucky, you'll see some fighter jets doing low passes in the valleys.

Alula

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kent, UK
First Name
Arno
Last Name
Oelofse
Excellent, thanks for the link!

I've done Salisbury Plains a few times, really good day out, I was not aware there can be overnite camping, sound good

Reactions: El-Dracho

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Hi Arno,
Sorry for the slow reply. It certainly isn't easy to go entirely off grid for more than a few hours travelling in the UK. As others have said the plain can be done with some smaller camping options. The best way I've found is by combining a few scenic routes on tarmac, decent campsites and trails in between.
Have you done Strata Florida in Wales and areas like that? Of course there's the NC500 and several other options that Scotland has. Round here in the South East we don't have too much but there's plenty of scenic drives and one can still remain vehicle dependent while taking in a good amount of tarmac!

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Hi Kent,

We are enroute to the plain now.

The event is unfortunately full, however, will keep you abreast of future events of course!

I’m the meantime, there is another meet at the overland show in a few weeks.