Overlanding Solo in January in Anza Borrego?

• HTML tutorial

matthurn

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hurn
Member #

We were planning to do the same the week between Christmas and NYE. However, it looks like we'll have to put those plans on hold for now as the park is closed for overnight camping due to the pandemic.

I think the closure is through January 4th, but is subject to change. More details on the park's website: Anza-Borrego Desert SP ®

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
So I've been making a few calls. The parks are open, buuuut overnight camping is closed (some parks have closed back country camping as well). That said dispersed camping on BLM land is still 100% ok. Here is a link to the El Centro page (El Centro Field Office | Bureau of Land Management) where you can find all the info for that area.
Thanks for the heads up guys, we will see where our travels land us n check status but it sounds like BLM land is my safest bet for planning camp spots

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
We just got back from a few days in Death Valley. We did the Titus Canyon Trail and absolutely loved it!!! It's a 1-way, 27 mile, good dirt road that takes you over Red Mountain Pass and down into a huge slot canyon that you drive through. It was amazing how varied the terrain and surrounding area was. There's even an old mine site you can stop & explore about 1/2 way through the drive. It's very close to the park entrance from the Vegas side. You can gas up in Beatty, NV right before entering the park. And, just inside the park, not too far off the main road and between Beatty and the turn off to Titus Canyon, you can check out the ghost town of Rhyolite. We did the whole thing from gassing up in Beatty, visiting Rhyolite and having a quick lunch there, driving Titus Canyon and stopping at the old mine in about 4 1/2 hours.

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Sounds really great, we were planning on dispersed camping each night of our 8 day trip n we’re gonna hit Anza borrego cuz it’s warmer n add Mojave to cut down on total miles. If we include Death Valley it pushes us to 7 hours more driving plus off-road time. Any feedback in our plan ? Considering sites to see n fun... thx all

Mojave /Anza sounds like a good plan. It's a good time to do Mojave Road, and AB has nice camp spots but most of the BLM land is on the outskirts of AB.
Anza has some touristy but must see spots like Fonts Point (just a quick drive up from the main road) and the slot canyons are good to camp in (or would've been)
I might do one or the other as well.

I don't know how enforceable it is for dispersed camping restrictions. Many times I don't know if i'm on BLM land or not.

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
"January will have a lot of people in Anza - not crowded, but you'll never feel alone"

Haha, for somebody coming from the East Coast, I'm not quite sure that's entirely true ;).

The whole place is cool with a lot of camping anywhere. I personally like Jasper Trail as one of the first places to camp. Fish Creek is a cool place, but there'll be more people there - but it's undeniably cool (in a State Park, not National Park, kinda way). Nearby Valley of the Moon has really cool camping too, but it's on the Mexican border, so you'd have to be comfortable with that.

Coming from Las Vegas, you might also consider doing the Mojave Road - I personally love that place and the landscape is quite varied. It's a good three-day trip end-to-end if you want to get the most of it.

A somewhat different place to consider (but on the way) would be Idyllwild / Thomas Mountain area. It's going to be weather dependent, but a lot of really great camping around there (it's mountainous with trees and granite, so not the desert experience).

Oh, and finally - solo is totally fine - I do that all the time and as long as you're staying off the trails rated hard, you'll be totally fine in the Taco. The winch isn't of much use anyway, since there isn't a tree in sight... (unless you do Idyllwild / TM).
Looking kind of grim for allowable overnighting. Thomas Mt dispersed camping was closed due to fires. I've placed a call to local ranger district to confirm. Dispersed camping is closed in Annza Borrego SP but seems big enough to risk it. Mojave is still open to dispersed camping at the moment. Joshua tree camping is closed. So maybe we camp on the fringes of the park on BLM land. Not clear if fires are allowed on BLM land at this time. Any opinions on rogue camping in Anza Borrego Park?

There aren't enough rangers to take care of the areas. So many people just destroyed camping areas. Joshua Tree camping was a mess of garbage, human waste and general tearing up of the land. That is just one of many examples.

Mojave is beautiful and camping there is great. Anza's close to Borrego Springs, and I'm assuming more ranger patrols. I'm actually in support of that, because i'm so tired of mess and destruction.

Reactions: gvb40

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Not sure what is going on with my laptop overlandbound app but my phone shows more current posts on this thread than are listed here, so I'm repeating a post from last night to ask for your insights.

What do you think of rogue dispersed camping amid the current restrictions at Anza Borrego SP (and Death Valley NP). Right now only Mojave is still allowing dispersed camping. BLM land is currently open for dispersed camping so maybe we only overnight on the southern perimeter of Anza?

Night fires are another question for the parks too. No fires or camping up on Thomas Mt at this time either. This is getting tougher as we get closer to departure and I'm all in on air fares & the Taco rental so no backing out. Thanks all

Reactions: srotier

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Hi all, we've decided to postpone our trip until more favorable conditions return. Hope to be out in late May or perhaps Fall. Thanks for your help and I'll be back on the forum then & hope to find some local teammates to join us then. Have a blessed holiday season, Bruce