Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
How about an incredibly broad question?

I want to start taking longer trips into less known (to me, anyway) places.

Obviously a little leeway needs to be built in, and some longer and shorter days.

How do you guesstimate yours miles-per-day when you’re overlanding and you’ve got little or no idea about the roads you’re going to face? Do you have a starting number you work off of? What factors that you can determine without being there do you use to add or subtract from your reference miles-per-day?

Maybe the better question is about miles per hour, and then you can determine how many hours you want to to be driving per day.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
I'd say to evaluate yourself and determine the following. I'll give you an example of myself:

How many miles a day can I do easily: 400 - 500
How many miles a day can I do if I simply have to: 750
How many miles a day can I do when I have my family and make stops every 1.5 to 2 hours: 300 - 500 (300 being easy, 500 being challenging).

I like to plan a travel day and a "adventure" day, travel > adventure. Sometimes travel > adventure > adventure.

If I'm in a bind to get somewhere, I'll just travel > travel > adventure > travel.

I don't like to do more than 2 days on the road with tons of miles. My typical roadtrips are about 40 hours driving and 2000 miles in 7 days. I just kinda break it up and go from there.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Thanks for your answer, Lee. I guess my original post could have been clearer, so I’ve edited it some. Are you talking about overlanding miles?

Reactions: Lee Mims

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
How about an incredibly broad question?

I want to start taking longer trips into less known (to me, anyway) places.

Obviously a little leeway needs to be built in, and some longer and shorter days.

How do you guesstimate yours miles-per-day when you’re overlanding and you’ve got little or no idea about the roads you’re going to face? Do you have a starting number you work off of? What factors that you can determine without being there do you use to add or subtract from your reference miles-per-day?

Maybe the better question is about miles per hour, and then you can determine how many hours you want to to be driving per day.

Thanks
When mapping out a trip for a group. Off-road and trails I shoot for about 50miles a day. This makes for a relaxed morning. Time for a casual lunch and getting to camp early enough to have dinner. Get cleaned up and camp fire time.

Steve Marchiando
North Idaho

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I was sort of thinking that 50 miles per day was a good starting reference point. Thanks.

Anyone else?

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
Thanks for your answer, Lee. I guess my original post could have been clearer, so I’ve edited it some. Are you talking about overlanding miles?
Gotcha, the definition of overland varies wildly, so I was more thinking about getting to a destination so you can start exploring.

Straight up wheeling and dirt roads are out of my depth at the moment, as we are typically ones who travel to a destination and spend a few days wheeling and exploring the destination.

Reactions: RedRob