Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".

• HTML tutorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

LostWoods said:
Yeah I've never installed mine and I'm torn about it for reasons I'm not getting in to because I'd rather not have people take what I'm saying the wrong way.

wow! there is ABSOLUTELY nothing as cool as or as 'edgy' as someone who puts in the time and effort to join a group and then brags about how they aren't displaying any of that group's badges or stickers. don't give a shit what you do with them, but comical you need to announce it group wide

i want to join a group so that i can immediately brag to everyone that i'm rejecting it and go against the grain. that is so cool! i'm inspired now to go paint my fingernails black and wear eyeliner and complain that nobody "gets me"!

How about a site called EMO Bound? :grinning:
Maybe, just maybe, people like to support an organization that promotes inclusiveness and is a great stepping stone into a hell of a fun hobby without that being the first thing people associate them with when they roll up to a group. It's no secret that OB has a reputation for softness among other dedicated off road communities and when I'm just as likely to take a trip to bash rocks as I am explore trails, it's just not something I want to deal with when I'm with those groups.

There's no sense of pride for me flying the flag of an organization that anyone can join. I like what they do, I support them. It doesn't mean I have to wear their colors everywhere I go.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

maybe you're right! :grinning:

BTW...no need to edit where you called me a twat. i'm really not that delicate or fragile a person :grinning:
Eh I wasn't sure if it was appropriate haha... I don't know you and as someone who generally develops a reputation as the sarcastic asshole, I wasn't sure if you were the same around here.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

If people keep riding their egos around like a stick pony it will surely.

I didn't post this to give peopleaa oplatform to declare how much OB sucks, I posted it because I like OB and want it to be a better place.

If that's not what you're looking for just move on.
The same can be said for your post...if you don't like it , move on. From my point of view, if anyone is riding their stick pony egos it would be you. You make a post stating how folks should follow these core principles but then turn around and tell them they can't ask their question simply because of how YOU see the question. Not everyone is going to ask a question in the way that everyone knows what they mean, just as not everyone is going to read said question the same way. You're saying that if the question isn't posed correctly then there should be a moderator or board member to take it down? NO! And as for elitist and brand snobs...come on! They are all over this forum. I mean shit, if you aren't driving a Tacoma or a Landcruiser you ain't overlanding apparently. And lets not forget the jeep guys. Apparently you can't go offroad and use 4wd unless you are in a Jeep with lockers and everything else. That kind of stuff is all over any of the groups and forums. I bet that if you don't answer that question that you don't like your day will still go on. Let folks ask what they want how they want. If you can't or don't want to answer it then ignore it. If they don't get the answer they want OR need then maybe they will figure out a different way to ask. But they should still be able to ask the question without any bullied or not so nice replies.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The same can be said for your post...if you don't like it , move on. From my point of view, if anyone is riding their stick pony egos it would be you. You make a post stating how folks should follow these core principles but then turn around and tell them they can't ask their question simply because of how YOU see the question. Not everyone is going to ask a question in the way that everyone knows what they mean, just as not everyone is going to read said question the same way. You're saying that if the question isn't posed correctly then there should be a moderator or board member to take it down? NO! And as for elitist and brand snobs...come on! They are all over this forum. I mean shit, if you aren't driving a Tacoma or a Landcruiser you ain't overlanding apparently. And lets not forget the jeep guys. Apparently you can't go offroad and use 4wd unless you are in a Jeep with lockers and everything else. That kind of stuff is all over any of the groups and forums. I bet that if you don't answer that question that you don't like your day will still go on. Let folks ask what they want how they want. If you can't or don't want to answer it then ignore it. If they don't get the answer they want OR need then maybe they will figure out a different way to ask. But they should still be able to ask the question without any bullied or not so nice replies.
I'm going to encourage you to go back and read my first post as many times as it takes to understand it, because clearly you don't at this point.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
as someone who generally develops a reputation as the sarcastic asshole
well, what do you know? we do have a lot in common! :grinning:

its all good. i spent a lot of time on subs in the navy and many years out on oil drilling rigs where we'd be cooped up out there for months at a time. we'd get into heated arguments and go at it hard, but then we'd get back on land and buy each other some beers and all was good. this is how "men" generally handle things and we generally get to the right places on our own. getting all "politically correct" and censoring conversation so as to not hurt feelings has actually done us all a disservice. some of my best friends had started off as people i had heated arguments with. its a "guy thing"...kinda hate seeing it go. now when guys blow up at each other, they are immediately silenced and separated without ever having the chance to get to the good part where they work thru it and then end up getting along...even if they still dont completely agree with each other, they end up with a mutual respect

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

LOL, brand snobbery and bad recommendations all wrapped in one.

In their defense howeverII ccan oonly assume that they in turn assumed you were.... you know... nudge, nudge,.... special, since you were building a Land Rover on a budget
LOL!!!

Everyone assumes Land Rover = money!

Considering what mine would sell for today I definitely couldn't/wouldn't justify the purchase. It cost me more to paint the Rover than it did to buy (back in July 2004).

Unfortunately, even many within the Rover world just assume you are wealthy because you have one.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

well, what do you know? we do have a lot in common! :grinning:

its all good. i spent a lot of time on subs in the navy and many years out on oil drilling rigs where we'd be cooped up out there for months at a time. we'd get into heated arguments and go at it hard, but then we'd get back on land and buy each other some beers and all was good. this is how "men" generally handle things and we generally get to the right places on our own. getting all "politically correct" and censoring conversation so as to not hurt feelings has actually done us all a disservice. some of my best friends had started off as people i had heated arguments with. its a "guy thing"...kinda hate seeing it go. now when guys blow up at each other, they are immediately silenced and separated without ever having the chance to get to the good part where they work thru it and then end up getting along...even if they still dont completely agree with each other, they end up with a mutual respect
Yeah I blame being a professional wrench turner for years. Pretty much the same environment haha.

Reactions: grubworm

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

LOL!!!

Everyone assumes Land Rover = money!

Considering what mine would sell for today I definitely couldn't/wouldn't justify the purchase. It cost me more to paint the Rover than it did to buy (back in July 2004).

Unfortunately, even many within the Rover world just assume you are wealthy because you have one.
I've been lead to believe this stuff is expensive!
lucas_smokekit2(1).jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Well there ya go!

See the last couple posts? People agreeing and laughing and getting along.
The thread was pretty heated earlier and even mention of it getting locked, BUT we all worked thru it and all is well.
I dont believe in censorship because it robs people of the opportunity to work thru issues. A lot of folk had stuff on their mind and were venting...had the thread got locked midstream, there would be a good bit of unresolved issues that would eventually just find their way into another thread. People were able to continue to speak and things got worked out where everyone ends on a good note.

SO....back to the OP

I think Bruce was trying to tell us that 'Overlanding' is puppies, rainbows, and people getting along. And i couldn't agree more!

Maybe we ALL could learn a lesson from that creepy purple dinosaur...:grinning:
((barney theme music playing softly in the background))

1612467276564.png

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Well there ya go!

See the last couple posts? People agreeing and laughing and getting along.
The thread was pretty heated earlier and even mention of it getting locked, BUT we all worked thru it and all is well.
I dont believe in censorship because it robs people of the opportunity to work thru issues. A lot of folk had stuff on their mind and were venting...had the thread got locked midstream, there would be a good bit of unresolved issues that would eventually just find their way into another thread. People were able to continue to speak and things got worked out where everyone ends on a good note.

SO....back to the OP

I think Bruce was trying to tell us that 'Overlanding' is puppies, rainbows, and people getting along. And i couldn't agree more!

Maybe we ALL could learn a lesson from that creepy purple dinosaur...:grinning:
((barney theme music playing softly in the background))

View attachment 186494
You're still a twat.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
LostWoods said:
Yeah I've never installed mine and I'm torn about it for reasons I'm not getting in to because I'd rather not have people take what I'm saying the wrong way.

wow! there is ABSOLUTELY nothing as cool as or as 'edgy' as someone who puts in the time and effort to join a group and then brags about how they aren't displaying any of that group's badges or stickers. don't give a shit what you do with them, but comical you need to announce it group wide

i want to join a group so that i can immediately brag to everyone that i'm rejecting it and go against the grain. that is so cool! i'm inspired now to go paint my fingernails black and wear eyeliner and complain that nobody "gets me"!

How about a site called EMO Bound? :grinning:

View attachment 186460
old Grubby there doesn't like my views. its ok.

I paid before I read these forums. I thought paying was gonna get me a cool app and access to locations etc. I paid to support something that was putting out a service.

I never paid to be part of a cool crowd. Maybe you did?

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm an "Overlander" because I bought an Overland model vehicle. If Jeep says it's an Overland, it must be true.

-TJ

Reactions: MazeVX

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
old Grubby there doesn't like my views. its ok.

I paid before i read these forums. I thought paying was gonna get me a cool appand access to locations etc. I paid to support something that was putting out a service.

I never paid to be part of a cool crowd. Maybe you did?
sorry gobbler...we're past that now. we're all in a good place....:grinning:

1612469898343.png

• Love
Reactions: Shokgoblr
Status
Not open for further replies.