Rank II

Enthusiast II

The Netherlands
First Name
Frans
Last Name
Nut
Hi all,

Since I started making holidays "in the wild" in 2019, I mainly travelled in the northern parts of Spain, and to a lesser extent in the Italian Alps. I hope to take 2 weeks off in September or October, and somehow, in making preparations for a trip I always end up going to Spain. I love it, it's a great country which offers many opportunities for driving on unpaved roads in beautiful scenery. All sorts of landscapes, and lots of cultural sites as well.

But as I have already been to Spain in May this year, perhaps I should go somewhere else for a change. I've been thinking about Sweden, but it seems to me the interesting bits are quite far to the north. And having only two weeks, I don't want to do more than, say, 1.200 kms to the point where I start going off pavement. Slovenia is said to be very beautiful, but I can't seem to find much about possibilities to drive on the unpaved. Wikiloc shows quite a few trails there, but browsing through these some are mainly tarmac, and others are no access roads. And someone who had camped in the wild there told me that he got a EUR 300 fine for doing so. Checking with Gaia GPS, unpaved roads are not that plentiful.

Does anybody have experience with overlanding in Slovenia? Is there enough unpaved to make it worth driving 1.200 kms? Is it generally allowed to drive on unpaved tracks, and how do people react? And how about camping in the wild?

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Frans

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX