Overlanding in different continents

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Austria
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Reisenberger
Embarking on an overland journey across different continents unveils a tapestry of landscapes, cultures, and experiences. Each continent presents unique challenges and rewards, making overlanding a thrilling adventure that transcends boundaries. Let's explore the essence of overlanding across several continents. Read about the different challenges: https://www.overlandtraveltips.com/overlanding-in-different-continents

Reactions: El-Dracho

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
Hey Erich,
I've been trying to work out how to travel across borders, and oceans, in my vehicle. I live in the United States, so all of North America is easy, as is Central America for the most part. However, I start to wonder how I could transport the vehicle from South America to Africa, for example, affordably. Have you ever had to do this yourself? Is it as simple as going online and finding a transport company, or are there other options, like I've read some motorcyclist doing where they travel on the merchant ship with their bike? Realistically, this type of travel is 5 years away for me, so things may change in that time, but I wanted to start the research and planning now. Thanks for any pointers, and I'm enjoying your website too.

Reactions: El-Dracho

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
You can ship your rig from S.A. to Africa. There are several shipping companies that assist overlanders and, depending on ports, there are vessels that take vehicles and passengers. Typically vehicles are transported in a container or roll on - roll off, depending on vehicle size. WikiOverland is a great resource and there are several FB groups, usually based on route (Pan-Am, etc) or continent. You can start to learn about a Carnet de Passage, not required for the Pan-American but is for many other places in the world. There are quite a few Youtube channels from US citizens that are currently driving around the world so those may be useful. Since your planned departure is in 5 years they should have solved a lot of vehicle logistics for each continent so just take good notes for reference.

Reactions: El-Dracho and Navin

Enthusiast I

Austria
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Reisenberger
Hey Erich,
I've been trying to work out how to travel across borders, and oceans, in my vehicle. I live in the United States, so all of North America is easy, as is Central America for the most part. However, I start to wonder how I could transport the vehicle from South America to Africa, for example, affordably. Have you ever had to do this yourself? Is it as simple as going online and finding a transport company, or are there other options, like I've read some motorcyclist doing where they travel on the merchant ship with their bike? Realistically, this type of travel is 5 years away for me, so things may change in that time, but I wanted to start the research and planning now. Thanks for any pointers, and I'm enjoying your website too.
Hi
you can ship from Montevideo to Port Elizabeth, at least it was possible a few years ago, and worked in the other direction as well. There is a European company, based in Germany, that specializes in vehicle shipping across continents, it is called "Searidge". I would start there and if they no longer do, they at least will know, who does. There is a lady working her name is Renate, give her my regards, she travelled with me in Africa and works for seabridge, she should know as well.
Kind regards
Eric

Reactions: El-Dracho and Navin

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
Hi
you can ship from Montevideo to Port Elizabeth, at least it was possible a few years ago, and worked in the other direction as well. There is a European company, based in Germany, that specializes in vehicle shipping across continents, it is called "Searidge". I would start there and if they no longer do, they at least will know, who does. There is a lady working her name is Renate, give her my regards, she travelled with me in Africa and works for seabridge, she should know as well.
Kind regards
Eric
Awesome, thank you!

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
You can ship your rig from S.A. to Africa. There are several shipping companies that assist overlanders and, depending on ports, there are vessels that take vehicles and passengers. Typically vehicles are transported in a container or roll on - roll off, depending on vehicle size. WikiOverland is a great resource and there are several FB groups, usually based on route (Pan-Am, etc) or continent. You can start to learn about a Carnet de Passage, not required for the Pan-American but is for many other places in the world. There are quite a few Youtube channels from US citizens that are currently driving around the world so those may be useful. Since your planned departure is in 5 years they should have solved a lot of vehicle logistics for each continent so just take good notes for reference.
Thank you!

Reactions: John and Mandi

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hey Erich,
Hi Nate,

We have a section here called OB boot camp articles. This is a source of Overland Bound approved tutorials and information about overlanding. For example, you will also find a very comprehensive article about shipping the rig:

Enjoy planning ans researching for your trip,
Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Embarking on an overland journey across different continents unveils a tapestry of landscapes, cultures, and experiences. Each continent presents unique challenges and rewards, making overlanding a thrilling adventure that transcends boundaries. Let's explore the essence of overlanding across several continents. Read about the different challenges: https://www.overlandtraveltips.com/overlanding-in-different-continents
Hi Erich,

You have linked a nice overview. Is that your text? If so, you could add a little more detail and submit it here as an OB boot camp article, thereby contributing to the growth of this resource and helping other overlanders.

Submission of boot camp articles for review

Thank you,
Bjoern

Enthusiast I

Austria
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Reisenberger
Hi Erich,

You have linked a nice overview. Is that your text? If so, you could add a little more detail and submit it here as an OB boot camp article, thereby contributing to the growth of this resource and helping other overlanders.

Submission of boot camp articles for review

Thank you,
Bjoern
Yes it is my text, you mean I should add more details to the text and submit it to boot camp?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes it is my text, you mean I should add more details to the text and submit it to boot camp?
Yes, better than just post links to your personal homepage it would be great to add these valuable information to this platform to help members.

Each member can contribute a lot here to expand the resources and help other members. For example with boot camp articles, route descriptions, adding POIs to the OB map, uploading tracks, reviewing existing POIs and much more. The community thrives on participation and it's great when lots of people contribute.

If you have any questions about using the app, please shoot me a message. Always happy to help.

Bjoern

Gunnar

Rank I

Contributor III

Germany
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Friese
Hey Erich,
Hi Navin.
I am working on a project that is a new approach your problem of how to ship the own vehicle to other places/ continents.

Feel free to see if this would be for you?
Overlandtrucksharing.com

I just posted the approach on the forum today in a separate thread. It's about co-ownership of vehicles in different places, were you own a share of one vehicle, but you can use all vehicles of the fleet. I am working on a vehicle in Africa atm, in Namibia.

Would this be for you?

Cheers Gunnar