Overlanding in a TJ

• HTML tutorial

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

Anyone have a TJ that they overland with? Thinking about getting a smittybilt trailer and RTT. I would love to do a RTT on the jeep and drawers in the back but I will be traveling with my wife and kid on occasion so the limited space in the jeep will be a problem. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: Jeff Swain

JWOOD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Wood
Member #

I'd opt for the trailer. I like the idea of the mobility afforded by unhooking and exploring.

Reactions: T4RZAKK

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Anyone have a TJ that they overland with? Thinking about getting a smittybilt trailer and RTT. I would love to do a RTT on the jeep and drawers in the back but I will be traveling with my wife and kid on occasion so the limited space in the jeep will be a problem. Thanks for any input.
We 4wheel, explore and now overland in a 2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ. We have 4" more space than a regular TJ. I did install the Smittybilt lockable drawer for the JK (which actually fits the LJ nicely let me know if you need a pic and specs on this). We took the back seat out to accommodate the drawer. Our kids are out of the house, so that space went to my service dog.
Our jeep has a Garvin Wilderness Rack on it for cargo. It is lifted with a 3" Rubicon Express lift and I run 33" Duratracs. With that said, with the racking it makes it roomy on the inside, but everything is on the roof and gas mileage suffers all the more. But it's a Jeep thing and others just don't get it, you can't beat the ride....at least in ours.IMG_0004.JPG
As a result we bought a Kakadu Bushranger 200XT trailer from Kakadu Camping in Delta BC.
The Jeep is more than capable to tow it, and gets a lot of the stuff we had on the roof off the jeep into the trailer.
IMG_1331.JPG
Most of the stuff came off the roof. We ended up leaving the tent camping stuff for non-trailer camping on the roof and won't take that with us when we take the trailer.
Now that I have the trailer and have used it camping and travelling from BC to Ontario camping all the way, I do not believe we will be overlanding without the trailer anymore. At least as long as we have the jeep.
As for putting at RTT on the TJ, dude it will affect your ride adversely I think. This thing has the aerodynamics and handling characteristics of a garbage dumpster, it will put you really high centre and tippy.
In my opinion dude, go with the trailer with a RTT that has the same width or smaller than your TJ so that where ever you go it will go.
Hope that helps.

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

Space is definitely an issue in TJ's. I would opt for the trailer. My plan is to build one this next year or so.... We will see how that goes. I built a chuckbox/camp kitchen that rides on a receiver rack til I get to camp. It works out good for me. Receiver rack may free up some space until you get the trailer.

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

It does! I love your rig, I have been thinking hard about selling my jeep for something bigger but its a part of me I can' Honestly think I am going to build a trailer. Going to work on my fab skills! For now I am going to get a roof rack and continue to ground camp.

Reactions: Jeff Swain

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

Thank you. That is awesome! I know a trailer can be built for a fraction of the cost of buying one. I have drawn up plans for a trailer like the smitty built and for an off road tear drop style trailer. If i have the money I am hoping to build the tear drop style trailer. What lift kit and size tires do you have on your TJ?

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

Its a 4 inch lift. Has rubicon express parts and rough country parts. I am running 33x12.5 deegan 38 tires and 15 inch rims. Really happy with the set up will more then likely be getting 3.5 in springs soon though.

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

We 4wheel, explore and now overland in a 2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ. We have 4" more space than a regular TJ. I did install the Smittybilt lockable drawer for the JK (which actually fits the LJ nicely let me know if you need a pic and specs on this). We took the back seat out to accommodate the drawer. Our kids are out of the house, so that space went to my service dog.
Our jeep has a Garvin Wilderness Rack on it for cargo. It is lifted with a 3" Rubicon Express lift and I run 33" Duratracs. With that said, with the racking it makes it roomy on the inside, but everything is on the roof and gas mileage suffers all the more. But it's a Jeep thing and others just don't get it, you can't beat the ride....at least in ours.View attachment 31289
As a result we bought a Kakadu Bushranger 200XT trailer from Kakadu Camping in Delta BC.
The Jeep is more than capable to tow it, and gets a lot of the stuff we had on the roof off the jeep into the trailer.
View attachment 31294
Most of the stuff came off the roof. We ended up leaving the tent camping stuff for non-trailer camping on the roof and won't take that with us when we take the trailer.
Now that I have the trailer and have used it camping and travelling from BC to Ontario camping all the way, I do not believe we will be overlanding without the trailer anymore. At least as long as we have the jeep.
As for putting at RTT on the TJ, dude it will affect your ride adversely I think. This thing has the aerodynamics and handling characteristics of a garbage dumpster, it will put you really high centre and tippy.
In my opinion dude, go with the trailer with a RTT that has the same width or smaller than your TJ so that where ever you go it will go.
Hope that helps.
I love the LJs but here in Texas they are going for 20k and above. With the kiddo only being 2 years old I cant take out the back seat unless I am going on a solo trip.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I love the LJs but here in Texas they are going for 20k and above. With the kiddo only being 2 years old I cant take out the back seat unless I am going on a solo trip.
I here ya. The seat didn't come out until 4 years ago, and with 4 kids plus 6 grand kids, space just don't exist unless u buy a bus! Racks are a good idea and work well for the TJ/LJ platform but I love the trailer option now that I have it.
Food for thought, the trailer we just bought is a Kakadu Bushranger 200xt from Kakadu Camping in Delta BC. For just under $10000 CDN dollars I couldn't build it that cheap with an RTT.
Take a look at the exchange rate, with the Canadian dollar being as low as it is, this may save you some cash....just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Trailer pre-RTT. A bit narrower than the Jeep but tracks like a champ both on and off road. The pintle/lunette is noisy, but a must on rough terrain unless you have a max coupler type of hitch.

IMG_0072.JPG

Then on the highway with my first RTT

IMG_0234.JPG

Reactions: ASNOBODY and Gus_13

Gus_13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reactions: vegasjeepguy