Timmy92

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nebraska
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Liebentritt
To begin with a long story short.. way back in 2006ish family friend had a H2. It had a lot of off-road accessories like winch, roof rack, light.. etc.. Use to take it up in Colorado mountains camping and hunting. I thought it was the coolest thing around. Currently looking/ researching a Hummer H2 or H3 to take it overlanding. Just seeing if anybody has some personal input of those vehicles. Other than watching videos on YouTube lol..

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
H3 is doable. H2 is a complete turd in my area.

There's a nice surplus H1 ambulance for sale..............

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I had an H3 for many years. Good vehicle. The inline 5 cylinder is surprisingly good on gas but, with the way the H3 is geared, it feels underpowered on the interstate. If you are looking at one, you might consider the 6cyl Alpha. I drove all over the U.S.with the 5cyl but it did struggle over 65 on the interstate.

Off road, the H3 is great. Smaller footprint, tight turn radius, and a good amount of ground clearance. Parts are pretty cheap and it’s easy to work on. I had the water pump go out at about 90,000 miles and the exhaust manifold came lose at about 120,000 miles. Only real problems I had with mine.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I wish the H1 had the room of a Suburban but It has less usable room than a Wrangler.
I agree the H3 Alpha would be fun but hardly an off roader.

• Haha
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would steer clear of the whole Hummer line honestly. Reason being parts, being a smaller production niche manufacturer that is now defunct parts wont be as easy to come by or as cheap as most others. Also H1s are kinda crap, the 6.5L diesel (even the turbo charged one) is a boat anchor, Transmissions are less than awesome, and the suspension is set up for load carrying over rough terrain at speed, not actual wheeling, and as stated above usable space is extremely low.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I don't know if you are aware, but the H2 is a Silverado chassis with a "Hummer" body. The H3 is a Colorado with a Hummer body. The H1 is the only one that is not based on a Chevy platform. It is based on the AM General HMMV Military vehicle.
So, if you need parts for the engine, trans, suspension etc. you are in good shape(H2/H3). If you need body parts, have fun and good luck.
Off road they are no better or worse than the truck they are made from. They will have a little better approach and departure angles though, very short overhangs front and rear.
Aftermarket support is going to be slim due to Hummers no longer being made. There is no H2/H3 diesel.
In the end they could work, but I would suggest that if you go that route, get a good deal on one I don't see them having a good resale value anytime soon. And be ready to get creative.
As for the H1, its kind of cool in a way. A real HMMV would be cooler, but they are slow, underpowered, and WAY too wide for a lot of trails.

Reactions: J.W.

Timmy92

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nebraska
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Liebentritt
Thanks for the info guys. Not 100% sold on a Hummer yet I just like the looks of them. Figured I’d start there while I look for a new overland vehicle

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I don't know if you are aware, but the H2 is a Silverado chassis with a "Hummer" body. The H3 is a Colorado with a Hummer body. The H1 is the only one that is not based on a Chevy platform. It is based on the AM General HMMV Military vehicle.
So, if you need parts for the engine, trans, suspension etc. you are in good shape(H2/H3). If you need body parts, have fun and good luck.
Off road they are no better or worse than the truck they are made from. They will have a little better approach and departure angles though, very short overhangs front and rear.
Aftermarket support is going to be slim due to Hummers no longer being made. There is no H2/H3 diesel.
In the end they could work, but I would suggest that if you go that route, get a good deal on one I don't see them having a good resale value anytime soon. And be ready to get creative.
As for the H1, its kind of cool in a way. A real HMMV would be cooler, but they are slow, underpowered, and WAY too wide for a lot of trails.
Yes I know the H2 and H3 are based on existing GM stuff, but they do have some parts that are different. Im not 100% sure what and if ( I have heard the steering parts are heavier spec than a standard Tahoe or Colorado) as I only have a passing interest in them, but generally speaking Im not a fan of running a rig from a defunct MFG, even if they source parts from other operating MFGs. It just makes things more complicated having to cross reference parts.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I picked up one (H2) that needed some electrical work for 1/2 the price of what is was going for online , I fixed it (a bad ground) . Since owning it I found it to be a great vehicle MPG are about the same as many of the vehicles out there I get around 15 on highway not bad for 2500 chassie my dually only gets around 16. Basic mech parts I found to be easily found however many items such as the interior trim salvage yards seem to think the are gold and after market parts as mentioned before are hard to come by , but with some creativity I will make my own stuff. My FJ40 has no FJ40 aftermarket items on it I fabricated everything . I purchased this rig to make it more comfy for the wife on longer outings , looking at what was out there I wasnt going to spend stupid money for Landcruisers / FJ cruisers with high high mileage even 93-96 broncos are asking stupid money 17K for a vehicle with almost 200K on them .

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yes I know the H2 and H3 are based on existing GM stuff, but they do have some parts that are different. Im not 100% sure what and if ( I have heard the steering parts are heavier spec than a standard Tahoe or Colorado) as I only have a passing interest in them, but generally speaking Im not a fan of running a rig from a defunct MFG, even if they source parts from other operating MFGs. It just makes things more complicated having to cross reference parts.
The parts that are differrent aside fom the body of h3 vs gen1 colorados is body mounts on the frame and a different bumper crossmember in front and back , and the transmission crossmember is different. And h1 weighs more
If you want a hummer h1 is my vote its the only capable and real one in my opinion. H2 and h3 are ok if your a suburban soccer mom in the early 2000s.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
The parts that are differrent aside fom the body of h3 vs gen1 colorados is body mounts on the frame and a different bumper crossmember in front and back , and the transmission crossmember is different. And h1 weighs more
If you want a hummer h1 is my vote its the only capable and real one in my opinion. H2 and h3 are ok if your a suburban soccer mom in the early 2000s.
To each their own but I would much rather learn and build my rig up then buy everything from a book and I like hanging around with soccer moms they are alot of fun

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

To each their own but I would much rather learn and build my rig up then buy everything from a book and I like hanging around with soccer moms they are alot of fun
What book can i buy everthing from cuz im tired of looking around the internet. And i know for a fact the autozone 20 miles from me dont carry any parts for my truck they dont even have the right oil grade. There is a 4wp about 70 miles away and tgey dont carry anything for my truck besides overpriced tires. I dont have the luxury of taking my truck to a shop to have stuff done. Everything is done right in my driveway as it should be.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I get the feeling people aren’t aware just how awesome the H3 can be off road. Certain models came with front/rear lockers, great low range gearing, and you can run 35’s stock. All with a great V8 pushing it along. The only part I’m not thrilled about is the transmission but it works.

Reactions: MidOH

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
The simple fact is if you want a hummer that can actually climb a wall h1 is the only option
I don't believe any of the vehicles made up for Overlanding are to climb walls if that was the case that large F750, Unimog, and earth roamers wouldn't be in the hobby. It amazes me how much an H2 or H3 gets bad press, the H2 allows for 37-inch tires without a lift, upgrade some steering components and its a solid rig. I like to be different and not drive what everyone else seems to be driving and yes I cad, fabricate and work on my own stuff in my own garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

$39k. Plenty of room in the back for a couple to sleep.

Reactions: Boucher

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

$34k.

I don't get why these guys go green so often. Every truck they paint black, sells in less than a month.

Reactions: Boucher

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
HMMVW isnt bad, but they are very good at what they do. When we started looking into them to replace the ILTIS jeep with them the problem we had was Width. These things are wise, wide enough to survive tank tracks. Which is part of thier design I hear. But the problem lies in the width, its too damn wide to go up twisty/snakey trails.

But. On the other hand. It takes a good effort to flip a hmmvw. Central braking and the unique hubs are awesome.

Now the H2 and H3.. well honestly I dont know a dang thing about them.