Durango Colorado
First Name
Robby
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Rob
I am taking my son for a week to the Grad Canyon and to Moab. Does anyone have any suggestions on places/things to do or see? We open to moderate-level trails, nothing to extreme.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
how old is your son? i've done the helicopter ride thru the canyon several times and recommend it highly. if your son is old enough to remember it and appreciate it, then i would suggest that as something to do. its quite the experience and you get to cover a LOT of area in a short time.

robbyferguson

Rank I

Member I

Durango Colorado
First Name
Robby
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Rob
He’s 18, kind of a graduation gift. I’ve done the trip out of Vegas before. Is there someplace along that route you can do it? I’m wanting to do some off reading etc

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
He’s 18, kind of a graduation gift. I’ve done the trip out of Vegas before. Is there someplace along that route you can do it? I’m wanting to do some off reading etc
perfect...that would make an excellent grad present. i know that going from flagstaff to the south rim, there are a few different helicopter places right together before you get to the main entrance. i always just set up reservations to make sure i wasn't wasting time waiting or missing out due to booked flights. i don't recall which companies i used, but they all seem to be pretty much the same and same pricing. here's a link

don't know much about offroad trails....i do recall seeing some places between flagstaff and the south rim entrance that might be some offroad trails, didn't notice if they were posted private or not. there are some dirt roads above flagstaff that looked interesting. also noticed some possible offroad trails northeast of GC when we were going from GC to Durango, CO.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbyferguson

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
For Moab, I think the most impressive drive for views and sheer pleasure is to take the Shafer Trail down to the White Rim trail and then to Lathrop Canyon. That drive will take you from the very top of Canyonlands all the way down to the bank of the Colorado River.

The Shafer Trail is an easy road. I have seen everything from a European station wagon (don't recall if it was Volvo or Mercedes) to a 2wd Dodge dually. The only thing challenging about it is if you are a flatlander and have a fear of heights. The White Rim from there to Lathrop is even easier. Lathrop itself may be mildly challenging, depending on what the rains have done to it. You can figure that out with a 15 minute walk when it drops down into the wash that will run to the Colorado River. That section where it drops down is where the challenge (if there is any) will be. Scout it on foot if you are concerned.

Note that the Shafer Trail is part of Canyonlands and you will need to go into the park to get a permit to run it. I think the permit is free (it used to be). More than anything they are trying to control the amount of traffic on the road. They may also have a requirement that you have a vehicle with low range. That is about the steepness of the grade. Trying to ride your brakes down the hill would be a bad idea.

That drive may not stack up to a helicopter ride, but it is as close as you can get and still be in your vehicle (and survive--I guess Thelma & Louise may have gotten closer, but I assume that is not your plan). You will be driving switchbacks from the top of a sheer cliff to the bottom. The views do not get any better.

La Sal Pass would be the next drive I would consider, but talk to the local Rangers about trail conditions. When I did that one in October of 2018 there was a substantial rock slide to get over, and the snow at 9,000' wound up being too deep for us to get any farther. Nonetheless, we had some great views.

Reactions: robbyferguson

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

We stayed at the Far East end campground at Dewey Bridge October 2020 and loved it. Super chill and quiet. We did Top of the World which is great if you like rocks. The slick rock at Hell’s Revenge is tons of fun. So many great trails in Moab.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Following... We'll be in Grand Canyon and Moab at the end of June. So excited.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
If you're going to Grand Canyon, do NOT miss driving out to Point Sublime. It's on the North Rim to the west of the Lodge/campground. Very decent if not-well-maintained dirt roads leading out there. We spent two nights (requires a Backcountry Permit: Backcountry Permit - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov) . Other viewpoints on dirt roads worth the trip are Fire Point and Crazy Jug Point. If you have the time, the 65 mile drive out to Toroweap Overlook (I KNOW you've seen pictures of this spot!) above Lava Falls Rapid is a great trip and Tuweep Campground is very nicely primitive. Here's an info page: Tuweep - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov) that includes a link to the reservations page. There are also paved roads to numerous more "touristy " viewpoints like Cape Royal - Check the Park website for a tourist map.

For my money, the North Rim is the better visit. It's a thousand feet higher than the South Rim so it is cooler in the summer. The South gets 6 million visitors a year while the North gets about 600K so it is less crowded in general and the remote campsites like Sublime get fewer than a thousand overnighters in a season. At night, you get the Milky Way over the canyon. Can't ask for better!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
"For my money, the North Rim is the better visit. It's a thousand feet higher than the South Rim so it is cooler in the summer. The South gets 6 million visitors a year while the North gets about 600K so it is less crowded in general and the remote campsites like Sublime get fewer than a thousand overnighters in a season. At night, you get the Milky Way over the canyon. Can't ask for better! "

100% For sure!!!!

We usually stay a week at DeMott campground and offroad all over.......
Good info: Campgrounds - North Rim - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

This is some really good information-makes me want to go back and spend more time!